Bank
Access Bank Win Against Sonny Odogwu’s Estate As Court Orders him To Pay N26bn Debt
Access Bank Win Against Sonny Odogwu’s Estate As Court Orders him To Pay N26bn Debt
Justice Daniel Osiagor of the Federal High Court, Lagos today upheld the N26 billion debt claim by Access Bank PlC against the estate of the late Ide Ahaba of Asaba, Chief Sonny Odogwu.
Osiagor upheld the bank’s claim after dismissing the preliminary objection filed by the estate of the late Chief Sonny Odogwu challenging the claim of the bank adding that a consent judgement had earlier been entered in which parties to the debt agreed on the payment of N12 billion as full and final payment.
The defendants in the preliminary objection added that having taking benefit of the consent judgement, the plaintiff can’t turn around and ask the court to set aside same.
However, Access Bank it it’s claim before the court said the said judgement was floored in that it was delivered by a court that lacked jurisdiction to entertain it at the time it was entered as consent judgement.
The bank through it’s counsel, Kemi Balogun, SAN said the matter having been placed at the bossom of the Court of Appeal , the lower court which entered the consent judgement as the judgement of the court is Functus Officio ( lacked jurisdiction) and that the only court that has the power to adjudicate on such matter at that level is the appellate court.
Justice Osiagor while dismissing the objection of the defendants nullified the consent judgement entered by Justice Rilwan Aikawa which sanctioned the consent judgement on the ground that it lacked jurisdiction to grant such order as it is functus officio of the matter as at the time he granted the order.
The judge then affirmed the earlier judgement of justice Saliu Saidu which ordered the defendants to pay it’s outstanding indebtedness of N26 billion.
Justice Osiagor however ruled that the payment must be less all amount earleir paid to the judgement creditor
The court also award a cost of N200,000 against the defendants’.
It would be recalled that Access Bank Plc and the late Ide Ahaba of Asaba, Chief Sonny Odogwu, entered into a N26 billion loan agreement when he was alive. The late businessman wanted to use the facility to build luxury apartments to be known as Le Meridien Grand Towers in highbrow Ikoyi, Lagos.
In line with global best practices, the bank demanded for collateral security.
Thus Odogwu mortgaged prime properties in Lagos, Abuja, Dubai, and Los Angeles to Access Bank in return for the facility. After the death of the businessman, the mortgaged properties eventually become a subject of litigation
Trouble started when the estate of the late Chief Odogwu, reacted angrily to a move by Access Bank to take over the uncompleted property due to the non performance of the loan.
The defendants’ went to town with a statement that the property was not part of the consent agreement reached by both parties, and registered as a judgment of Federal High Court, Lagos. The release signed by the estate lawyer, Chief Anthony Idigbe SAN was published by various media platforms on Tuesday.
Reacting to the statement, Access Bank said that the Ikoyi property was not the only one that fell within the purview of the November 3, 2015 Federal High Court judgment that ordered the bank to take over the properties used it as collateral in lieu of the N26 billion loan facility.
Other properties include Berendo Property located in Los Angeles, State of California, United States of America, Unit No: FN428, The Fairmont Palm Residence (North), Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Asokoro Shopping weMall, Abuja, 1 Happy Home Street, Kirikiri, Lagos, properties located at Kingsway and Lawrence Roads, Ikoyi Lagos.
Access bank also stated that it is is the successor in title to Diamond Bank Plc following its merger with Diamond Bank Plc.2
The crux of the matter was that former Diamond Bank PlC granted facilities to the Judgment Debtors for the construction of a property to be known as Le Meridien Grand Towers located and lying at 31-35 Ikoyi Crescent, Lagos and registered as No. 17 at page 17 in volume 100 at the Federal Lands Registry, Ikoyi, Lagos. The property is mortgaged to the bank as collateral for the facilities.
However, litigation that ensued over the inability of company, Robert Dyson & Diket Limited to liquidate the facility, Access Bank secured a Judgment in the sum of N26,229,943,035.22 consequent upon a Federal High Court judgment in Suit No. FHC/L/CS/1633/2014 delivered on 3rd November 2015 against Robert Dyson & Diket Limited & 2 Ors (the Judgment Debtors) in relation to the Project Finance for development of a seven-star hotel and residences (“the Project”).
Following the Judgment, Robert Dyson entered an Appeal against the said judgment and a motion staying the execution of same in APPEAL NO: CA/L/1151/2015 – ROBERT DYSON & DIKET LIMITED & 2 ORS. V. DIAMOND BANK PLC & 3 ORS.
The Judgment Debtors also filed a Counter-Claim against the Access Bank in the State High Court: SUIT NO: LD/1666CMW/2016 – LEADWAY CAPITAL & TRUSTS LIMITED V. DIAMOND BANK PLC & 2 ORS.
Bank
Alpha Morgan to Host 19th Economic Review Webinar
Alpha Morgan to Host 19th Economic Review Webinar
In an economy shaped by constant shifts, the edge often belongs to those with the right information.
On Wednesday, February 25, 2026, Alpha Morgan Bank will host the 19th edition of its Economic Review Webinar, a high-level thought leadership session designed to equip businesses, investors, and individuals with timely financial and economic insight.
The session, which will hold live on Zoom at 10:00am WAT and will feature economist Bismarck Rewane, who will examine the key signals influencing Nigeria’s economic direction in 2026, including policy trends, market movements, and global developments shaping the local landscape.
With a consistent track record of delivering clarity in uncertain times, the Alpha Morgan Economic Review continues to provide practical context for decision-making in a dynamic environment.
Registration for the 19th Alpha Morgan Economic Review is free and can be completed via https://bit.ly/registeramerseries19
It is a bi-monthly platform that is open to the public and is held virtually.
Visit www.alphamorganbank to know more.
Bank
Separating Fact from Confusion: What Nigerians Need to Know About the 7.5% VAT on Banking Service Fees
In recent weeks, digital-banking customers and social media, especially on Twitter have raised concerns about deductions labelled as “VAT” on transfers and other charges.
Some dangerously false narratives, which when you take a critical look, you’ll clearly see that they have been orchestrated and sponsored by malicious elements, have given the impression that the 7.5% Value Added Tax (VAT) is a new or arbitrary charge introduced by fintechs, or that it applies to the amounts customers send. These claims are misleading and deserve careful clarification which is the purpose of this piece.
First, it’s important to understand how VAT works in Nigeria’s financial sector today. VAT on fees and charges for financial services has long been part of Nigeria’s tax system. The then Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) had issued information circulars on March 31, 2021 where it stated that VAT on Financial Services (Circular No. 2021/04) that most fees, commissions, and charges by financial institutions (banks, insurance companies, brokers) are subject to 7.5% VAT.
This justifies a recent advertorial the Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS) which stated unequivocally that VAT was not newly introduced on banking service charges by recent tax reforms, and that it did not impose a new tax obligation on customers in that regard.
However what was left unsaid in that publication was that on the 12th of December, the tax agency had written to all financial institutions and payment gateways based on past meetings with operators that following from the new Tax Act, they were reminded of their mandatory obligations to collect, deduct and remit VAT at the prescribed rate.
The Agency then gave an 18- day grace period to all players to configure and align their systems while directing full compliance with the directive with effect from January 19, 2026. And so, some fintechs sent messages to their customers in the spirit of clarity and transparency.
It must be said that what has changed is that in a bid to widen the tax net, microfinance banks and fintechs who were not obligated to deduct and remit said VAT before now, have now become compelled to do so. The enforcement and standardised collection of VAT across banks and fintech platforms including mobile transfers, USSD transaction fees, and card issuance fees with compliance deadlines issued by tax authorities. So why anyone would vilify any financial institution obeying the laws of the land beats my imagination.
For those who have raised questions around transparency and wrongly suggesting that fintechs are suddenly imposing new, unexplained costs on users – as it has been explained above, this is a matter of regulatory compliance, not a lack of transparency or customer exploitation. These VAT deductions are not new fees created by the companies themselves, and providers are not arbitrarily raising their prices.
In closing, two things that everyone must bear in mind as we move forward in this new tax climate – all stakeholders including fintech platforms and regulators must communicate better and clearly. Nigerians must refrain from peddling unsubstantiated claims and malicious narratives, it has no benefits for anyone and erodes trust in systems.
Bank
FirstBank Introduces Exclusive 500-Seater Bleacher at Carnival Calabar & Festival 2025
FirstBank Introduces Exclusive 500-Seater Bleacher at Carnival Calabar & Festival 2025
Lagos, 26 December 2025 – FirstBank, West Africa’s premier financial institution and financial inclusion services provider, has officially announced its sponsorship of the Carnival Calabar & Festival 2025, unveiling a landmark addition set to redefine the carnival experience — the first-ever private premium seating area at the event.
The highlight of FirstBank’s participation is the construction of a 500-seater premium bleacher, designed to provide comfort, safety, and an elevated viewing experience for carnival enthusiasts.
Speaking on the sponsorship, the Acting Group Head Marketing and Corporate Communications, FirstBank, Olayinka Ijabiyi, noted that the carnival aligns with the Bank’s First@Arts initiative, a platform dedicated to supporting the creative arts value chain across Nigeria. He said, “We recognise the transformative power of the arts, including carnivals, in inspiring people and strengthening national unity. For more than 131 years, we have supported platforms that promote self-expression, social reflection and cultural exchange. Our investment in the Carnival Calabar & Festival demonstrates our commitment to preserving the nation’s rich cultural heritage through First@Arts.”
“As part of our sponsorship this year, we are introducing the first-ever private 500-seater premium bleacher to further elevate the carnival experience. This exclusive seating is designed to provide exceptional comfort and an unforgettable viewing experience for attendees,” Ijabiyi added.
The Chairman of the Cross River State Carnival Calabar Commission, Gabe Onah, also commented on FirstBank’s sponsorship. “FirstBank’s involvement is a strong demonstration of private-sector support for culture and tourism. This partnership not only enhances the overall quality of the carnival but also strengthens its global appeal,” he said.
The Carnival Calabar & Festival 2025 is officially marketed by Okhma Global Limited, the appointed Official Marketer responsible for brand partnerships, promotional engagements, and ticket sales. Okhma Global Limited has partnered with the Cross River State government in delivering Carnival Calabar & Festival for over ten years, playing a key role in strengthening the carnival’s commercial growth and global visibility.
-
celebrity radar - gossips6 months agoWhy Babangida’s Hilltop Home Became Nigeria’s Political “Mecca”
-
society6 months agoPower is a Loan, Not a Possession: The Sacred Duty of Planting People
-
society5 months agoReligion: Africa’s Oldest Weapon of Enslavement and the Forgotten Truth
-
news6 months agoTHE APPOINTMENT OF WASIU AYINDE BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AS AN AMBASSADOR SOUNDS EMBARRASSING


