The African Finance Development Bank (AFDB), is putting machineries in place to site the largest Agro-Processing Zone in Ogun State.
The State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun gave the hint while flagging off the State Anchor Borrowers’ Scheme at the June 12 Cultural Centre, Kuto, Abeokuta, said the development was as a result of several engagement by the State Government with officials of the Bank who had been in his office twice in the last two months and a half.
” The African Finance Development Bank is headed by Prof. Adewunmi Adesina, an indigenes of the State. The Bank decided that they were having two Agro-Processing Zones in Nigeria and Prof. Adesina decided that the biggest must be sited on Ogun State.” This is the result of our contructive engagement with the Bank over the last 70 days or so”, he said.
He said the Anchor Borrowers’ Scheme was another avenue to boosting the nation’s self sufficiency in food production, which is line with the Federal government’s agenda on food security to save foreign exchange spent on food importation which could be produced locally.
The Governor who expressed surprise that despite the success of the scheme in other states, Ogun has never access the funds from the scheme, hence the setting up of the State Anchor Borrowers’ Committee to ensure that farmers in the State are partakers.
Prince Abiodun said 2000 beneficiaries have been selected and would be given Certificates of Acceptance and a Leasehood, adding that adopting the scheme in the State, it would help in addressing food security and creating employment for women and youths.
The Governor noted that the scheme was a tripartite agreement between the State as facilitator, Central Bank of Nigeria as financier and the beneficiaries calling on the beneficiaries to be committed and responsible in repayment plan.
Speaking earlier, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Mrs. Abosede Ogunleye, described Agriculture as a viable sector that could absorb the teeming unemployed youths, expressing delight that the State has signed it’s counterpart fund and keyed into the scheme.
Head of Developing Finance, Central Bank of Nigeria, Mrs. Oluyemisi Olukoya, said th State has not done well in accessing the Scheme as only 5249 are in the scheme as against 20,000 from Kebbi State.
Chairman, Ogun State Anchors’ Borrower Programme, Prof. Bola Okuneye, said the programme was designed to link off-takers of agriculture products with producers so that farmers would know that there was demand for their products at an agreed and beneficial price to improve production so as to guarantee abundant agricultural products in the nation.
Cover Of The Week
- Immediate action needed as millions face hunger in Southern Africa, warns the Red Cross December 12, 2019
- India condemns terrorist attack in Niger December 12, 2019
- Aswan Forum 2019: UNDP’s experts discuss interlinkages between sustaining peace and development in Africa December 12, 2019
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and International Organization for Migration (IOM): Over 5,000 Somali Refugees Voluntarily Returned Home from Yemen Since 2017 December 12, 2019
- CORRECTION - African Development Fund (ADF)-15 replenishment: Donors commit $7.6 billion, a 32% boost from last replenishment, in support of Africa’s low-income, fragile, countries December 12, 2019
- 25th United Nations Climate Change conference (COP 25): ‘Africa’s future depends on solidarity’ Leaders and development partners rally around climate change goals December 12, 2019
- African Development Bank and African Union to roll-out a continent-wide electricity market Masterplan December 12, 2019
- Powell keeps the faith as Blitzboks gear up for Cape Town December 12, 2019
- Malware variety grows by 13.7% in 2019 due to web skimmers December 12, 2019
- Give Them a Gift That Will Make Them Smarter This Christmas! December 12, 2019
Politics6 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews6 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports5 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .