The African Finance Development Bank (AFDB), is putting machineries in place to site the largest Agro-Processing Zone in Ogun State.
The State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun gave the hint while flagging off the State Anchor Borrowers’ Scheme at the June 12 Cultural Centre, Kuto, Abeokuta, said the development was as a result of several engagement by the State Government with officials of the Bank who had been in his office twice in the last two months and a half.
” The African Finance Development Bank is headed by Prof. Adewunmi Adesina, an indigenes of the State. The Bank decided that they were having two Agro-Processing Zones in Nigeria and Prof. Adesina decided that the biggest must be sited on Ogun State.” This is the result of our contructive engagement with the Bank over the last 70 days or so”, he said.
He said the Anchor Borrowers’ Scheme was another avenue to boosting the nation’s self sufficiency in food production, which is line with the Federal government’s agenda on food security to save foreign exchange spent on food importation which could be produced locally.
The Governor who expressed surprise that despite the success of the scheme in other states, Ogun has never access the funds from the scheme, hence the setting up of the State Anchor Borrowers’ Committee to ensure that farmers in the State are partakers.
Prince Abiodun said 2000 beneficiaries have been selected and would be given Certificates of Acceptance and a Leasehood, adding that adopting the scheme in the State, it would help in addressing food security and creating employment for women and youths.
The Governor noted that the scheme was a tripartite agreement between the State as facilitator, Central Bank of Nigeria as financier and the beneficiaries calling on the beneficiaries to be committed and responsible in repayment plan.
Speaking earlier, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Mrs. Abosede Ogunleye, described Agriculture as a viable sector that could absorb the teeming unemployed youths, expressing delight that the State has signed it’s counterpart fund and keyed into the scheme.
Head of Developing Finance, Central Bank of Nigeria, Mrs. Oluyemisi Olukoya, said th State has not done well in accessing the Scheme as only 5249 are in the scheme as against 20,000 from Kebbi State.
Chairman, Ogun State Anchors’ Borrower Programme, Prof. Bola Okuneye, said the programme was designed to link off-takers of agriculture products with producers so that farmers would know that there was demand for their products at an agreed and beneficial price to improve production so as to guarantee abundant agricultural products in the nation.
23 Year Old Mother Stabs hubby to death
EvaluatePR 14th Edition kicks off in September
‘ Mr and Miss Nigeria 2019 will be of global standard’ – CEO, Amb. Brendan Nsikakis
Adedas boss picks three laurels
ALL SET AS LAGOS AWAITS ZENITH BANK’S ASPIRE MUSIC FESTIVAL
Cover Of The Week
- UNMISS visits conflict-ridden Tonj East area to build trust and confidence September 17, 2019
- Second UK-Morocco Strategic Dialogue held in Rabat September 17, 2019
- UAE rescues people affected by floods in Al Jazeerah, Sudan September 17, 2019
- Reynders and De Croo confirm the revitalization of diplomatic relations with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) September 17, 2019
- Vibrant discussions take place around Kenya's African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) strategy September 17, 2019
- Escalation of violence in Birao September 17, 2019
- Democratic Republic of Congo conducts national consultation on the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) September 17, 2019
- “SHORRT” drug-resistant Tuberculosis (TB) treatment on cards September 17, 2019
- Ghana Cocoa Trade Syndication Signing Ceremony September 17, 2019
- Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Meets Secretary General of Madagascar Presidency September 17, 2019
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business6 months ago
News Flash! Ecobank Wins CBN/NIBSS Award For Data Integrity
Politics3 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS