After the outcry by Edo State indigenes and residents recently, the force headquarters, Abuja, Wednesday yielded to reason and transferred the embattled Commissioner of Police, Edo State, Haliru Gwandu Abukar, who despite initial transfer by the Police Service Commission, PSC, refused deployment to his new station.
Abukar’s posting order, issued on Tuesday October 17, 2017, by the Secretary, Office of the Inspector General of Police, has the reference: TH. 5361/FS/FHQ/ABJ/V.2/532, with the title: Posting Senior Officers.The order which was obtained by this reporter, directed him to move to his new duty post with immediate effect.
Other police commissioners affected by the posting order are Moses Ambakina Jitoboh and Johnson Babatunde Kokumo.
In July, Abukar, along with other CPs like Fatai Owoseni, formerly of Lagos State, Garba Umar formerly of Bayelsa, were all redeployed. Owoseni, initially, was belligerent and wouldn’t give way for Egdal Omohinmi, his successor, claiming that there hasn’t been signal from the IGP.The matter was however smoothened later. While Owoseni and Umar have since moved to their new stations, Abukar adamantly refused to budge, allegedly citing directives from the IGP to stay put.
The breakdown in the relationship between the Police and Edo people was amplified by members of the public, who alleged many infractions against the state police command.
Crime rate, especially, kidnapping and robbery, spiked in Edo and the state police command appeared helpless in the matter. There was the brazen kidnap of Andy Ehenire, a brother of Minister of state for Health, Osagie Ehanire, after three policemen were cold bloodedly killed by abductors. Andy has since been released by his abductors, though, but his captors are yet to be apprehended.
Till date, the whereabouts of Osayomore Joseph, a popular musician from Benin, is unknown after being plucked from public view almost a month ago. The police are still clueless on the matter. Till date, too, the brutal killing of Paul Otasowie, a UNIBEN professor, is yet to be unravelled.
The public also accuse the Edo police Command under Abukar of being selective in the protection of citizens and residents in Edo State. They cited the incessant harassment by herdsmen in Edo State as example. Rather than protect vulnerable communities, the police deploy, instead to protect herdsmen on routine grazing of their cattle. The state governor, Godwin Obaseki, had taken up the insecurity matter with the presidency after which he visited the office of the National Security Adviser.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (15 May 2021) May 16, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: COVID-19 update (15 May 2021) May 16, 2021
- Campenaerts 7th after impressive breakaway effort on stage 8 of Giro d'Italia May 16, 2021
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 15 May 2021, 9 am EAT May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 Statistics Daily Status Update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Final day - B-roll: African rugby teams are coming together to prepare for the Olympic Games and Olympic Repechage - Final day May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: COVID-19 update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
Politics6 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion5 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips4 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Politics6 months ago
Will Primate Ayodele’s Warning To Joe Biden On US Election Come To Pass?