Connect with us

society

Ambassador Nuhu Encourages MNJTF As General Ibrahim Assures Endless Assaults On Insurgents

Published

on

Ambassador Nuhu Encourages MNJTF As General Ibrahim Assures Endless Assaults On Insurgents

 

 

 

The Head of Mission of the Multinational Joint Task Force, MNJTF, who is also the Executive Secretary of the Lake Chad Basin Commission, Ambassador Mamman Nuhu has commended troops of the MNJTF for their efforts in the ongoing Operation LAKE SANITY, urging them to sustain the pressure on Boko Haram and Islamic State of West Africa Province, ISWAP, terrorists to bring the insurgency to an end.

 

 

 

 

 

He gave the commendation while on an assessment visit to the Tactical Headquarters MNJTF in Diffa Niger Republic on Friday 13, May 2022.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He was received on arrival at the Diffa Airport by the Governor of Diffa Region of Niger, His Exellency Issa Lamine, and the FC MNJTF, Major General Abdul Khalifah Ibrahim, DFC and other senior officers of the MNJTF.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

According to a statement signed by Lieutenant Colonel Kamarudeen Adegoke, Chief of Military Public Information Officer, HQ MNJTF N’Djamena which was made available to the National Association of Online Security Reporters, NAOSRE, on Sunday, Ambassador Nuhu stated that he was in Diffa to, among other things, convey the appreciation of the Heads of States of MNJTF Troop Contributing Countries and the entire Lake Chad Basin Region to the troops for the success so far achieved in the operation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In his remarks, Major General Abdul Khalifah Ibrahim welcomed Ambassador Nuhu and told him that the MNJTF is ever ready to carry out its mission to a logical conclusion.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He called for more support from the various troops contributing countries and for more cooperation to enable them attain mission objectives.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He requested for more equipment such as MRAPs for the various contingents of the Force.

 

 

 

 

 

 

In response, Ambassador Nuhu noted that the nature of insecurity in the Lake Chad region calls for deliberate and sustained effort as well as the cooperation of all participating countries to surmounting the security challenges.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He said he is happy that the MNJTF has been reinvigorated as they are taking the fight to the enemy in the tunbuns ( Lake Chad Islands ) which is the stronghold of the terrorists.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Head of Mission laid a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier in Diffa in recognition of the soldiers who paid the supreme sacrifice in the search for peace under the MNJTF Flag.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He addressed troops of the MNJTF and interacted with the Press where he called on the insurgents to lay down their arms immediately.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In another development, Major General Abdul Khalifah Ibrahim, accompanied by the Deputy Force Commander, Brigadier General Abdou Harouna Assumane on Tuesday, May 10 visited Mallam Fatori , base of the 68 Battalion where he was briefed and he also interacted with the officers and men of the Forward Operations Base.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Similarly, General Ibrahim was in Mallam Fatori to inspect and interact with the Chadian Contingent for Op Lake Sanity who are newly joining the mission.

 

 

 

 

 

 

During the visit, he urged them to be courageous, lethal and professional in the conduct of the operations and wished them well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thereafter, an operational meeting was conducted by the Commander with all the officers in the Base. The obviously elated troops promised to make the MNJTF proud in the operations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the same vein, General Ibrahim, on Thursday, May 11 had a meeting with all the Commanders of the MNJTF drawn from all the Sectors.

The meeting was aimed at appraising the operations so far and to enhance preparations for the next decisive stage. He praised the courage, commitment and doggedness of the troops so far and the various commanders for their leadership but quickly reminded the meeting that the task was not over yet as the criminal Boko Haram/ ISWAP terrorists still remain active.

Reviewing the Operations so far, General Ibrahim stated that over 30 encounters have been recorded with the criminals running away or neutralized in most of them and their equipment destroyed or captured.

“An increasing dependence on improvised explosive devices (IED) by the desperate criminals was noted and necessary counter measures were proffered.

“About 4 IED making factories were destroyed in the course of the operations so far,” he stated.

He praised the decisive role of the Air component of the MNJTF/ OP Hadin Kai for the remarkable role played in taking out several enemy camps, equipment and commanders latest among whom is Abu Ibrahim who was an ISWAP leader( Khalifa) in the Lake Chad Tunbumas and was a leader before in the Timbuktu Gen areas.

He was also very happy with the synergy and cooperation with Op Hadin Kai stressing that over 52,000 terrorists comprising fighters, those conscripted by force, and their families have surrendered in the MNJTF and Op Hadin Kai areas of operational responsibility.

He urged those still in the bushes to lay down their arms and surrender.

“Over 300 terrorists were neutralized either in direct combat with the MNJTF troops or as a result of combined air strikes across the lake Chad Basin,” he disclosed.

He emphasized that the entry of the Chadian contingent provides additional firepower in terms of armoured personnel Carriers ,MRAPS and other combat enablers and urged that the criminal Boko Haram Terrorists/ ISWAP be hunted and wiped out wherever they are. He also praised the maritime efforts so far and said he looks forward to more successes in the next few days and weeks.

Regrettably, the Operation recorded about 7 casualties comprising 6 soldiers and a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force supporting the operations. Several troops have also been injured but are recuperating well and prayed for the repose of the heroes who paid the supreme sacrifice and quick recovery for the injured.

He once again called on the terrorists be they Boko Haram faction or ISWAP to abandon the criminal organization and surrender like thousands of their compatriots have done before it is too late.

 

 

 

 

 

 

General Ibrahim commended the officers and men of the MNJTF for their commitment and gallantry and said history would remember their role in ending the scourge of terrorism in the Lake Chad Basin.

 

 

Ambassador Nuhu Encourages MNJTF As General Ibrahim Assures Endless Assaults On Insurgents

society

NCAT Delegation Tours Gusau International Airport, Commends Governor Lawal, Eyes Strategic Partnership for Aviation Training

Published

on

NCAT Delegation Tours Gusau International Airport, Commends Governor Lawal, Eyes Strategic Partnership for Aviation Training

 

In a move signaling a major push for inter-agency cooperation within Nigeria’s aviation sector, a high-level delegation from the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT), Zaria, has undertaken an official working visit to Gusau International Airport currently under construction by the administration of Governor Dauda Lawal. The visit, aimed at a comprehensive assessment of the facility’s infrastructure and operational capabilities, is seen as a foundational step toward forging a strategic partnership to bolster aviation training and safety standards across the region.

The NCAT team, led by Nasir Muhammad Bungura, conducted an extensive tour of the airport premises. They were received and accompanied by the Permanent Secretary of the Zamfara State Ministry of Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Haruna Dikko Gusau, underscoring the state government’s keen interest in maximizing the airport’s potential.

During the meticulous inspection, the delegation evaluated the airport’s runway, terminal buildings, navigational aids, and safety apparatus. Following the tour, Mr. Bungura commended Governor Lawal for a job well done as he expressed profound satisfaction with the state of the facility, describing the infrastructure, operational protocols, and visible ongoing upgrade projects as both encouraging and highly promising.

“The standards we have observed here today are commendable and align strongly with international best practices,” Bungura stated. “Gusau International Airport possesses a robust foundation. Our visit was to assess how this facility can serve as a practical hub for our training programs, offering our students real-world exposure to a modern, functioning airport environment.”

The delegation highlighted the airport’s latent potential to serve as a critical node for specialized aviation training, particularly in areas of safety operations, air traffic control simulations, and aircraft handling. Such collaboration, they noted, would not only enhance the practical skills of NCAT cadets but also contribute to elevating the overall safety and efficiency metrics of Nigeria’s air transport system.

Engr. Haruna Dikko Gusau welcomed the NCAT delegation’s interest, reiterating the Zamfara State government under Governor Dauda Lawal is committed to developing the airport as a catalyst for economic growth and regional integration. “This visit is a testament to the growing strategic importance of Gusau International Airport,” Engr. Gusau remarked. “We are not just building infrastructure; we are creating a hub for opportunity. Partnering with a prestigious institution like NCAT will ensure this facility contributes meaningfully to human capital development and the advancement of Nigeria’s aviation industry.”

The visit marks a significant milestone for Gusau International Airport, transitioning its role from a regional transit point to a potential center of excellence for aviation education and a key partner in national aviation development. Both parties are expected to hold further discussions to formalize areas of collaboration, which could pave the way for NCAT to utilize the airport for specialized training exercises and curriculum development in the near future.

Continue Reading

society

Ramadan: Adron Homes Felicitates Muslims, Preaches Hope and Unity

Published

on

Ramadan: Adron Homes Felicitates Muslims, Preaches Hope and Unity

Adron Homes & Properties Limited has congratulated Muslim faithful on the commencement of the holy month of Ramadan, urging Nigerians to embrace the virtues of sacrifice, discipline, and compassion that define the season.

In a statement made available to journalists, the company described Ramadan as a period of deep reflection, spiritual renewal, and strengthened devotion to faith and humanity.

According to the management, the holy month represents values that align with the organisation’s commitment to integrity, resilience, and community development.

“Ramadan is a time that teaches patience, generosity, and selflessness. As our Muslim customers and partners begin the fast, we pray that their sacrifices are accepted and that the season brings peace, joy, and renewed hope to their homes and the nation at large,” the statement read.

The firm reaffirmed its dedication to providing affordable and accessible housing solutions to Nigerians, noting that building homes goes beyond structures to creating environments where families can thrive.

Adron Homes further urged citizens to use the period to pray for national unity, economic stability, and sustainable growth.

It wished all Muslim faithful a spiritually fulfilling Ramadan.

Ramadan Mubarak.

Continue Reading

society

Underfunding National Security: Envelope Budgeting Fails Nigeria’s Defence By George Omagbemi Sylvester

Published

on

Underfunding National Security: Envelope Budgeting Fails Nigeria’s Defence

By George Omagbemi Sylvester | Published by saharaweeklyng.com

“Fiscal Rigidity in a Time of Crisis: Lawmakers Say Fixed Budget Ceilings Are Crippling Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency, Banditry, and Organized Crime.”

Nigeria’s legislature has issued a stark warning: the envelope budgeting system; a fiscal model that caps spending for ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs) is inadequate to meet the country’s escalating security challenges. Lawmakers and budget analysts argue that rigid fiscal ceilings are undermining the nation’s ability to confront insurgency, banditry, kidnapping, separatist violence, oil theft and maritime insecurity.

The warning emerged during the 2026 budget defence session for the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) at the National Assembly in Abuja. Senator Yahaya Abdullahi (APC‑Kebbi North), chairman of the Senate Committee on National Security and Intelligence, decried the envelope system, noting that security agencies “have been subject to the vagaries of the envelope system rather than to genuine needs and requirements.” The committee highlighted non-release or partial release of capital funds from previous budgets, which has hindered procurement, intelligence and operational capacity.

Nigeria faces a multi‑front security crisis: persistent insurgency in the North‑East, banditry and kidnappings across the North‑West and North‑Central, separatist tensions in the South‑East, and piracy affecting Niger Delta oil production. Despite declarations of a national security emergency by President Bola Tinubu, lawmakers point to a “disconnect” between rhetoric and the actual fiscal support for agencies tasked with enforcement.

Experts warn that security operations demand flexibility and rapid resource allocation. Dr. Amina Bello, a public finance specialist, said: “A static budget in a dynamic threat environment is like sending firefighters with water jugs to a forest fire. You need flexibility, not fixed ceilings, to adapt to unforeseen developments.”

The Permanent Secretary of Special Services at ONSA, Mohammed Sanusi, detailed operational consequences: irregular overhead releases, unfulfilled capital appropriations, and constrained foreign service funds. These fiscal constraints have weakened intelligence and covert units, hampering surveillance, cyber‑security, counter‑terrorism and intelligence sharing.

Delayed capital releases have stalled critical projects, including infrastructure upgrades and surveillance systems. Professor Kolawole Adeyemi, a governance expert, emphasized that “budgeting for security must allow for rapid reallocation in response to threats that move faster than political cycles. Envelope budgeting lacks this essential flexibility.”

While the National Assembly advocates fiscal discipline, lawmakers stress that security funding requires strategic responsiveness. Speaker Abbas Ibrahim underscored that security deserves “prominent and sustained attention” in the 2026 budget, balancing oversight with operational needs.

In response, the Senate committee plans to pursue reforms, including collaboration with the executive to restructure funding, explore supplementary budgets and ensure predictable and sufficient resources for security agencies. Experts warn that without reform, criminal networks will exploit these gaps, eroding public trust.

As one policy analyst summarized: “A nation declares a security emergency; but if its budget does not follow with real resources and oversight, the emergency remains rhetorical.” Nigeria’s debate over envelope budgeting is more than an accounting dispute; it is a contest over the nation’s security priorities and its commitment to safeguarding citizens.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending