A Benin-based group, the Vanguard Anti-corruption Watch, has called for the urgent investigation of the lists of nominees to the boards of Federal Teaching Hospitals and Medical Centres by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).
The group alleged that multiple lists were submitted by the National executive of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), for the ongoing process at the Federal Ministry of Health.
The group in a statement issued and signed by its Secretary, Barr. Valentine Osayuki, and made available to journalists, alleged that one of the nominees, Dr Gabriel Ogbebor and four others are currently being prosecuted for corruption charges by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission at a Benin City High Court.
It wondered why a government that prides itself for its zero tolerance for corruption, will accept a person and nominee undergoing corruption prosecution for appointment into a Federal Medical Board.
“It is common knowledge that one Dr. Gabriel Ogbebor, along with Dr Emmanuel Ighodaro, Dr Quincy Atohengbe, Dr Anthony Owolabi and Dr Raymond Ogieva who work and live in Edo state are currently facing criminal prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), in a Benin City High Court.
“We are however surprised that the same doctor (Gabriel Ogbebor) has been listed for appointment to a Federal board to represent the Nigerian Medical Association.
“One wonders if the NMA has lost its sense of morality and modesty in spite of the huge confidence reposed on them by the public. It is the last expectation to have such a character nominated to a board of that repute.”
“One is left to wonder if the same Federal Government under the incorruptible Muhammadu Buhari will in one breadth (through her agency) indict someone for corruption and in another breadth, appoint the same person to undertake such a sensitive responsibility? The paradox is simply irreconcilable,” the statement said.
The Vanguard Anticorruption Watch therefore called on President Mohamadu Buhari, the Minister of Health and all those concerned, to urgently investigate the names on the list to avoid giving the impression that the government is rewarding corruption.
The boards will be inaugurated on Tuesday 6th of March, 2018 and investigation revealed that Dr Gabriel Ogbebor has been cleared to take up the board appointment despite the EFCC case against him and four other executives of Edo NMA pending at the Edo State Criminal Court.
OGUN GOVERNOR SWEARS IN SSG, CoS, CHARGES THEM ON GOOD GOVERNANCE
OGUN GOVERNOR EXTOLS VIRTUE OF OLOTA OF OTA
WE WILL MAKE OGUN AGRICULTURAL CAPITAL OF NIGERIA- DAPO ABIODUN
Dr Chris Okafor Stages another Powerful Prophetic and Deliverance ‘2 Night with the King’ conference in Lagos
Honourable Kayode Akiolu To Host Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Cover Of The Week
- The Power of Storytelling June 24, 2019
- U.S. Embassy Statement on June 22 Attacks June 24, 2019
- Africa Oil & Power to Honor Senegal President as “Africa Oil Man of the Year” June 23, 2019
- Uganda defeats Kenya in Elgon Cup June 23, 2019
- Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on presidential elections in Mauritania June 21, 2019
- Over 2,100 Ethiopian Migrants return home from Yemen with Organization for Migration (IOM) support June 21, 2019
- Quality, Reliable and Comparable Data Critical for Migration Management and Governance: IOM Zimbabwe June 21, 2019
- Tanzania: Authorities rushing to pass bill to further repress human rights June 21, 2019
- UN Country Team and UNAMID deplore the looting and destruction of UN agency properties in Graida, South Darfur June 21, 2019
- Secretary-General appoints Yacoub El Hillo of Sudan as Deputy Special Representative for Libya June 21, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips4 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized4 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Crime2 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business2 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank