A Benin-based group, the Vanguard Anti-corruption Watch, has called for the urgent investigation of the lists of nominees to the boards of Federal Teaching Hospitals and Medical Centres by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).
The group alleged that multiple lists were submitted by the National executive of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), for the ongoing process at the Federal Ministry of Health.
The group in a statement issued and signed by its Secretary, Barr. Valentine Osayuki, and made available to journalists, alleged that one of the nominees, Dr Gabriel Ogbebor and four others are currently being prosecuted for corruption charges by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission at a Benin City High Court.
It wondered why a government that prides itself for its zero tolerance for corruption, will accept a person and nominee undergoing corruption prosecution for appointment into a Federal Medical Board.
“It is common knowledge that one Dr. Gabriel Ogbebor, along with Dr Emmanuel Ighodaro, Dr Quincy Atohengbe, Dr Anthony Owolabi and Dr Raymond Ogieva who work and live in Edo state are currently facing criminal prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), in a Benin City High Court.
“We are however surprised that the same doctor (Gabriel Ogbebor) has been listed for appointment to a Federal board to represent the Nigerian Medical Association.
“One wonders if the NMA has lost its sense of morality and modesty in spite of the huge confidence reposed on them by the public. It is the last expectation to have such a character nominated to a board of that repute.”
“One is left to wonder if the same Federal Government under the incorruptible Muhammadu Buhari will in one breadth (through her agency) indict someone for corruption and in another breadth, appoint the same person to undertake such a sensitive responsibility? The paradox is simply irreconcilable,” the statement said.
The Vanguard Anticorruption Watch therefore called on President Mohamadu Buhari, the Minister of Health and all those concerned, to urgently investigate the names on the list to avoid giving the impression that the government is rewarding corruption.
The boards will be inaugurated on Tuesday 6th of March, 2018 and investigation revealed that Dr Gabriel Ogbebor has been cleared to take up the board appointment despite the EFCC case against him and four other executives of Edo NMA pending at the Edo State Criminal Court.
Ogun to Demolish Houses That Habour Kidnappers, Sets Up Trust Fund
Fashion Your Way To Fame With Scissor Reality Show
LAGOS FIRST LADY RAISES HOPE OF IMPROVED ACCESS TO QUALITY HEALTHCARE
Emirates Aviation University introduces a special package for international students
ZENITH BANK APPOINTS HENRY OROH EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND DR. AL-MUJTABA ABUBAKAR INDEPENDENT NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Cover Of The Week
- New push for peace in Gogrial, Tonj, Wau as area governors embark on grassroots implementation activities August 23, 2019
- Tanzania: Second journalist arrested in a month must be released unconditionally August 23, 2019
- Merck Foundation in partnership with the First Lady of Malawi launches a children story to teach children and youth family values of love and respect- The Story of Limbani and Takondwa August 23, 2019
- Facebook celebrates 'Icons of Change' from across Sub-Saharan Africa with a Youth Gathering in Accra, Ghana August 23, 2019
- Assistant Foreign Minister Chen Xiaodong Meets with Charles Kayonga, Rwandan Ambassador to Leave August 23, 2019
- UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan: Localization of conflict and unaddressed community grievances serve as barriers to sustainable peace August 23, 2019
- Alternatives to Irregular Migration: International Organization for Migration (IOM) Launches Vocational Training Programme for Gambians August 23, 2019
- Innovative Inclusive Approach to Strengthen Community Cohesion in Chad August 23, 2019
- Launch of the Advancing Economic Diversification in Ethiopia Project August 23, 2019
- School closures in West and Central Africa triple since 2017, as education comes under fire across the region August 23, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized6 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others