A Benin-based group, the Vanguard Anti-corruption Watch, has called for the urgent investigation of the lists of nominees to the boards of Federal Teaching Hospitals and Medical Centres by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).
The group alleged that multiple lists were submitted by the National executive of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), for the ongoing process at the Federal Ministry of Health.
The group in a statement issued and signed by its Secretary, Barr. Valentine Osayuki, and made available to journalists, alleged that one of the nominees, Dr Gabriel Ogbebor and four others are currently being prosecuted for corruption charges by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission at a Benin City High Court.
It wondered why a government that prides itself for its zero tolerance for corruption, will accept a person and nominee undergoing corruption prosecution for appointment into a Federal Medical Board.
“It is common knowledge that one Dr. Gabriel Ogbebor, along with Dr Emmanuel Ighodaro, Dr Quincy Atohengbe, Dr Anthony Owolabi and Dr Raymond Ogieva who work and live in Edo state are currently facing criminal prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), in a Benin City High Court.
“We are however surprised that the same doctor (Gabriel Ogbebor) has been listed for appointment to a Federal board to represent the Nigerian Medical Association.
“One wonders if the NMA has lost its sense of morality and modesty in spite of the huge confidence reposed on them by the public. It is the last expectation to have such a character nominated to a board of that repute.”
“One is left to wonder if the same Federal Government under the incorruptible Muhammadu Buhari will in one breadth (through her agency) indict someone for corruption and in another breadth, appoint the same person to undertake such a sensitive responsibility? The paradox is simply irreconcilable,” the statement said.
The Vanguard Anticorruption Watch therefore called on President Mohamadu Buhari, the Minister of Health and all those concerned, to urgently investigate the names on the list to avoid giving the impression that the government is rewarding corruption.
The boards will be inaugurated on Tuesday 6th of March, 2018 and investigation revealed that Dr Gabriel Ogbebor has been cleared to take up the board appointment despite the EFCC case against him and four other executives of Edo NMA pending at the Edo State Criminal Court.
Billionaire Ned Nwoko Picks Award
COURT OF APPEAL VALIDATES DAPO ABIODUN’S VICTORY
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Nigeria Prolific Actor, Film-Maker, TV Host Uzee Usman Marks Birthday Today (Photos)
In Niger: Government of Canada Demonstrates It’s Commitment To The Fight Against Polio And Strengthening Routine Immunizations
THE CHILDREN OF USMAN DAN FODIO AND THE MANIFESTATION OF THE FULANI EMPIRE
Cover Of The Week
- Craft, Create, Curate; Personalise and print from hundreds of designs with the Canon Creative Park app November 11, 2019
- 2019 African Investment Forum builds on 2018 successes, attracts growing international interest November 11, 2019
- Remembrance Day luncheon remembers service and sacrifice of Veterans in Ghana November 11, 2019
- 2019 Africa Visa Openness Index: African Union Commission, African Development Bank report shows wins in visa restrictions across Africa November 11, 2019
- Kolisi thanks South Africa for “unbelievable support” on Trophy Tour November 11, 2019
- GE Healthcare Launches Versana Premier and Versana Essential Ultrasound Machines to Drive Access to Affordable and Quality Healthcare in Uganda November 11, 2019
- United Nations officials welcome the signing of an Action Plan to fight sexual violence by the Congolese National Police November 11, 2019
- Black Stallions finished 8th as Kenya qualifies for Japan 2020 Olympics November 11, 2019
- 2019 Africa Investment Forum Kicks Off Delivering on the Promise to Redefine and Unpack the Continent’s Investment Opportunities November 11, 2019
- Leaving no girl behind: Merck Foundation in partnership with the First Lady of Malawi, motivate girls to pursue sciences November 11, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today