By Ayo Salewa
Nigeria’s oldest human right organization, the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights, (CDHR) in Abeokuta at the weekend has elected foremost lawyer and activist, Dr Osagie Obayuwana as its new President, Irohinoodua learnt on Monday.
Osagie of Benin origin was overwhelmingly elected unopposed by the CDHR delegates from many of the 36 states of the Federation. The election took place during the group’s Annual General Meeting, (AGM). Osagie who was a pioneer member of CDHR is believed to be in a strategic position to not only sustain the glowing reputation of the CDHR but to also promote its core values.
Obayuwana, widely known to be honest, hardworking and diligent is one of the most respected human right leaders in Africa.
The former President of CDHR, Malachy Ugwumadu ended his meritorious tenue last week. Malachy was reputed to have revived the ailing organization which had established itself as one of Nigeria’s most outstanding civil society organisations having been established in the tough era of military rule in 1987. Following years of a glorious outing, the CDHR was hit by internal crisis about a decade ago from which it was difficult for the group to recover until Malachy took over the leadership.
Malachy brought back the organization from its ruin, reviving old chapters, healing wounds and launching an unprecedented renaissance which once again brought the organization into the purview of public consciousness.
“Malachy left a greater organization. CDHR has bounced back fully under his leadership. He taught us that nothing is impossible. He is a remarkable leader with golden fingers. He brought CDHR from a near ruin. We have no doubt that with the emergence of Osagie Obayuwana as the new President, the golden legacy of Malachy will be sustained and even surpassed,” Ade Ikuesan an official of the group told Irohinoodua in Abeokuta.
The election saw Comrade Kehinde Taiga emerged as the Vice President. Other elected officials are comrade James Chibuzo Chikwendu General Secretary, Comrade Kabiru Assistant Gen. Secretary and Mrs Ekuamaka became the legal adviser.
Also, the Group also bestowed an award of Excellence on internationally acclaimed prophet , T.B Joshua of Synagogue Church of All Nations.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Somalia: Update on COVID-19 13 July 2020 July 14, 2020
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: 595 new cases of COVID-19 Nigeria July 14, 2020
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 Situation Report for Nigeria (12th July 2020) July 13, 2020
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: NiCaDe activities to support COVID-19 response in Nigeria July 13, 2020
- Africa Women Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum (AWIEF) Launches Enterprise Development for Women-Owned Ventures in Green Energy Startup Incubator – Call for Applications Announced July 13, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Africa: COVID-19 update for South Africa (12 July 2020) July 13, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: Induction of Rapid Response Vehicles for COVID-19 response in Kenya July 13, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Sudan: UNMISS donates COVID-19 personal protection equipment to South Sudanese police July 13, 2020
- International Labour Organization (ILO) Global Summit builds commitment to create better world of work after COVID-19 July 13, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: COVID-19 WHO Africa Update 13 July 2020 July 13, 2020
news4 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Uncategorized4 weeks ago
STOP PRESS! AJIMOBI IS NOT DEAD SAYS SPOKESMAN, BOLAJI TUNJI
Politics2 months ago
Lagos Speaker,Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa Clears The Air On Fraud Rumour
Education1 month ago
Methodist owned Wesley University owe staff up to 40 months Salaries