Connect with us

society

Child Advocacy group records over 300 cases of child abuse in two years

Published

on

By Ifeoma Ikem

The Advocates for Children and Vulnerable Persons Network (ACVPN), a Non-Governmental Organisation says it has recorded more than 300 cases of child abuse in the last two years.

Mr Ebenezer Omejalie, the coordinator of the ACVPN said that domestic violence cases account for more than 100 of these, which he says is alarming.

He noted that on a weekly bases no fewer than 5 cases of child abuse are recorded, especially domestic abuses, in Lagos state.

According to him, `the root cause of these various abuses is simply loss of values and cultures by perpetrators, in most cases, family members’.

“As a result of these negative actions the survivors see them as a way of life and invariably violate other children.”

Omejalie said that despite the inherent challenges, in some cases, the group has ensured that the abused got justice.

He said that another issue in sexual abuse on children is social psychological abnormal preference by perpetrators, simply because the law did not take its course as a result of compromise by some officers not doing their jobs.

He pointed out that police do not have financial vote in their budget for investigation and no provision of vehicles for specialised unit as do
State Intelligence Bureau (SIB),Juvenile Welfare Centre (JWC) and Gender Unit

“They are forced to spend their hard-earned salary and invariably some of them begin to accept gratification from arrested perpetrators.

“ACVPN team is determined not to let that deter us from staying on course in the fight against the acts of evil perpetrators’’.

He also called on the government and good spirited Nigerians to join in the fight against child and domestic abuse.

“We need government support so that we can record more successful prosecution, by ensuring defaulting officers are duly disciplined.

“Both the government and the legislators should re-strategise on their commitment in the prosecution of such cases by increasinging fund for prosecuting agencies such as the Police and National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons ( NAPTIP).

society

Primate Ayodele Takes Palliative Market To Badagry, Sells Bag Of Rice For N15,000*

Published

on

*Primate Ayodele Takes Palliative Market To Badagry, Sells Bag Of Rice For N15,000*

 

Popular Nigerian prophet, Primate Elijah Ayodele has melted the hearts of needy Nigerians at another edition of his palliative market which was held at the Badagry branch of his church in Lagos on Saturday, 20th of July, 2024.

As usual, the prices of essential commodities were ridiculously crashed for affordability sake among members of the church and its environs. At the palliative market, half bags of rice were sold for N15,000 each, quarter bags were sold for N7,000, 5 litres of groundnut oil was sold for N2,000, and several other items too were sold to those present at the event.

Some of the beneficiaries of this largesse include Muslims, security operatives, traders, and widows, to mention but a few.

 

Primate Ayodele Takes Palliative Market To Badagry, Sells Bag Of Rice For N15,000*

It is worthy of note that this edition of the palliative market is the fifth Primate Ayodele has held in the space of one year. The first and second editions were held at the Lagos headquarters of his church in November 2023 and February 2024 respectively. The third edition was held in Ekiti while the fourth edition was held in Ijoko, Ogun state. So far, more than 5,000 people have benefited from Ayodele’s palliative market.

At the maiden edition of his palliative market, Primate Ayodele announced that the decision to start subsidizing the prices of food materials is to support the government and to teach them how to effectively end hunger in the country. He mentioned that the government hasn’t done the right thing to end hardship and that one of the most effective ways is to subsidise the prices of food items because people can hardly feed themselves due to the high cost of food items in the markets.

‘’The government has failed to perform its duties in cushioning the effects of fuel subsidy removal; a problem they created. The people are suffering so much that they can’t afford to feed. We have thousands of people in several communities that have resorted to begging so they can feed yet the government claims to have done palliatives.’’

‘’ I am doing this because the government has missed it. I am contributing my quota to society so I can help the government do their job. If they don’t know how to do it, we will teach them how to do it. This is a model for the government to follow. There is serious hunger in the land and if the government can reduce it to a certain level, economic hardship will reduce.’’

Continue Reading

society

FG to spend N3tn on new minimum wage, pensions, gratuities

Published

on

FG to spend N3tn on new minimum wage, pensions, gratuities

FG to spend N3tn on new minimum wage, pensions, gratuities

 

 

The Federal Government is set to spend N3tn on the new minimum wage and the payment of pensions and gratuities.

The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu, disclosed this on Friday during a meeting with the Senate Committee on Appropriations, chaired by Olamilekan Adeola.

The minister presented the general principles of the newly amended 2024 budget to the committee at the meeting.

Recall that President Bola Tinubu had, after a meeting with the leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress on Thursday, approved a new minimum wage of N70,000 for Nigerian workers. The president also pledged to review the national minimum wage law every three years.

 

 

 

The National Assembly, in both chambers, had on Wednesday passed for first and second readings an amendment of N6.2tn to the 2024 budget, increasing the budget size to N33.7tn.

In a letter to the Senate, read in plenary by the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, Tinubu sought the withdrawal of N3.2tn from the Consolidated Revenue Fund for capital expenditure. Additionally, he requested another N3tn for additional recurrent expenditure for the year ending on December 31, 2024.

For expeditious consideration, the Senate gave the requests presented as executive bills, first and second readings, and mandated its committees on Appropriations and Finance to inject more legislative inputs and report back within a week. In his lead debate on the Appropriation Amendment Bill, the Senate Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, said the amendment sought to authorise the issuance of N3.2tn for capital expenditure and N3tn for recurrent expenditure from the consolidated fund. He explained that this would help fund capital infrastructure development, education, healthcare access, and public welfare initiatives.

 

 

 

Senator Adamu Aliero supported the bills, citing the need to fund the expected minimum wage for workers. Senator Adams Oshiomhole emphasised the necessity of funding the personnel costs arising from the minimum wage adjustment. He stressed that the increase in personnel expenditure must be legally backed to prevent financial shortfalls.

During the Friday meeting with the Senate Committee on Appropriations, the minister noted that the new budget additions would not be funded by loans but by an already reserved profit.

Bagudu explained that priorities were given to projects that would open up roads for investments and emergencies, while other road projects would be addressed in subsequent batches. He highlighted the country’s historical underinvestment in infrastructure as a root cause of recent problems and commended President Tinubu for addressing the infrastructure deficit.

Bagudu assured that the Federal Executive Council would continue to approve funding for other road projects as funds become available. He provided a sectoral overview of the N3.2tn for the Renewed Hope Infrastructure Projects and the N3tn increase in the recurrent component of the budget.

Senator Adeola affirmed the government’s capacity to finance the 2024 budget and requested a detailed breakdown of the N6.2tn approval.

This breakdown, to be submitted next week, will be debated by both chambers of the National Assembly. Senate Spokesperson, Senator Yemi Adaramodu, confirmed that ministries, departments, and agencies would defend their budget allocations before the relevant Senate committees.

The recurrent budget of N3tn will fund the minimum wage, pensions, and gratuities, while the capital component of N3.2tn will augment existing road projects on state and federal routes, including coastal roads, the Sokoto-Badagry road, railway construction, and dam irrigation.

Continue Reading

society

Outrage In SA After Zimbabwean Inmate Brags About Good Life In Prison (Video)

Published

on

Outrage In SA After Zimbabwean Inmate Brags About Good Life In Prison (Video)

Outrage In SA After Zimbabwean Inmate Brags About Good Life In Prison (Video)

 

A viral video of an inmate on trial, Bornface Banks, bragging about a “comfortable life” in Goodwood prison in Cape Town, prompted correctional services top brass to conduct raids on Thursday.

The video circulating on social media shows Banks, charged with kidnapping, recording himself on a phone boasting about receiving basic necessities such as breakfast, lunch and supper, as well as toiletries for free in prison.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaKbQt_bhPk?si=ftAHbUhFPTNzqhre

“Hello haters, they put us in prison and you think we are suffering? No, my brother, we are doing extremely fine. Look how happy we are.

“This morning, we had breakfast, in the afternoon we had lunch, and we are about to have dinner. We are happy, and we are not even paying rent, we are not buying electricity, we don’t even cook, they give us food for free. They give us toiletries for free, and the education is free. You think we are suffering, we are not suffering,” Banks, a Zimbabwean, said in the video.

Correctional services commissioner Makgothi Thobakgale led a raid at the prison on Thursday morning.

“The issue of cellphones in prison is not new, it is a problem that we face in our daily operations. This is precisely one of the ways that contraband like cellphones are used to get them into our centres,” Thobakgale said, adding that raids were regularly done at the Cape Town prison.

In an interview with Newzroom Afrika, Thobakgale said cellphones got into prisons via accused who go to court.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4W1vEDKq7M?si=Q1kKkqo5ieP2lOsO

“They go to court and then come back with contraband. Other inmates swallow the contraband and keep it in their stomach. For us to pick up such we need body scanners, and we have few of those,” he said.

Correctional Services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo said Banks was moved to a maximum-security prison after the video went viral.

“This is something we don’t take lightly; it’s something that we have attended to. We have moved that inmate to a maximum-security centre where he’ll probably be given an education on what a correctional facility is.

“He’s been in and out of our facility and he sees no wrong in what he has done; instead, he’d want to make a mockery of our correctional services, and that’s something we cannot allow.

“Yes, we are bound by our mandate to provide basic necessities to inmates, but such cannot be viewed as a luxury people can brag about,” Nxumalo said.

Banks has a TikTok account with more than 14,000 followers. The viral video now has more than 1.5-million views on TikTok. He has posted more than 50 videos, some of them while in prison

98.7 said the department was shocked by the number of followers the TikTok account had.

“We always tell people to never encourage such behaviour. We even say to family members that when inmates ask for airtime to not respond to such requests because they would also be breaking the law.”

While Nxumalo expressed concerns about the smuggling of cellphones in prison, he acknowledged that correctional services staff also play a part.

“Our colleagues do take part in allowing the entry of cellphones; we have even suspended some of them and we will open criminal cases. Some of the mobile phones are smuggled in by contractors. Inmates who go to court and come back find ways of hiding these phones. You wouldn’t even believe where they hide them because it’s just shocking.

“It is in our standard operating procedure that routine searches must be conducted. Where are our officials when this is happening? Our investigation will look into that,” he said.

He said the department was working on a system that would stop cellphones from having connectivity in prison.

“We are closer to finalising the development of a technology that will make those mobile phones inoperable in our centres. If we are able to get approval for that solution, it would help us because if you don’t have a signal, you won’t be able to use a cellphone. Some people take it lightly, but a lot of things can go wrong when an inmate has a phone.”

Banks’ joy was cut short. Another video of him saying, “Now I’m suffering,” in which he appears to have been forced to apologise, has been circulating on social media.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending