The Court of Appeal sitting in Ibadan, Oyo State, Monday, dismissed the case brought before it by the candidate of the Allied Peoples Movement, Hon. Abdulkabir Akinlade, against the governor of Ogun State and candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Prince Dapo Abiodun in the last governorship election.
In a unanimous decision the Appeal court justices said the appeal “lacks merit and it is therefore struck out.”
Reading the lead judgment, Hon. Justice Muhammed Ambi-Usi Danjuma disclosed that the 10 grounds filed by the Allied Peoples Movement challenging the victory of Governor Dapo Abiodun has no merit and that the two appellants – Akinlade and the APM – are overruled because of lack of merit.
“The respective objections raised by the two respondents are overruled and the emotions have no remit, answers to them are sustained and the two motions are dismissed, ” he said.
In his remarks, the state chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Chief Yemi Sanusi said that the judgment has said it all, adding that the party will be well prepared to defend its mandate if the need arises for it.
“The judgment says it all, in this part of the world, nobody accepts defeat. We will not be surprised if they move from here to the Supreme Court and we are ready; anytime they want to see us, they will meet us there,” he said.
Reacting to the judgment, counsel to the All Progressives Congress and Governor Dapo Abiodun, Barrister Wale Habeeb Ajayi, appreciated the court for delivering the judgment in good time, saying that the judgment has shown that Dapo Abiodun is the governor of Ogun State by lawful votes.
Ajayi added that all the complaints about non-qualification as a result of delivering false affidavit was not applicable and allegations were seen to be frivolous by the court.
“We must appreciate the court for delivering the judgment in good time. Elections have been held and a winner emerged and we must learn to accept defeat in all circumstances. There was no reason why we should be in this appeal. But thank God the court of appeal has delivered its judgment in favour of the respondent and have equally confirmed that Prince Dapo Abiodun is the governor of Ogun State by lawful votes.
“That all the complaints about non-qualification as a result of delivering false affidavit are not applicable, in other words, those allegations are frivolous and the court has so passed,” he said.
The Director General, Dapo Abiodun Campaign Organization (DACO) and former deputy governor of Ogun State, Prince Segun Adesegun disclosed that the election was one that was well fought for by the people, adding that with the court judgment, the governor who has started well will now be more relaxed to do the job of governance better.
The Speaker, Ogun State House of Assembly. Rt. Hon. Olakunle Oluomo noted that the judiciary has played its role the way it should be played, adding that the judgment will aid the governor to continue with the good work it has started in the state.
…Governor’s reaction shortly, please
Cover Of The Week
- Radio Station Features U.S. Ambassador January 17, 2020
- Statement of Mohamed Ibn Chambas, UN Special Representative for West Africa and The Sahel, on The Gambia January 17, 2020
- Libya: Tens of thousands of children at risk amidst violence and chaos of unrelenting conflict January 17, 2020
- Six months following the enforced disappearance of Siham Sergewa, UNSMIL calls for her immediate release January 17, 2020
- Chinese Embassy launches Training Course on Pottery Production Techniques in Freetown January 17, 2020
- Minister Gould concludes visit to Republic of Congo and Democratic Republic of Congo January 17, 2020
- Ambassador visits Peace Corps Volunteers January 17, 2020
- UN Child Rights Committee to review Austria, Belarus, Costa Rica, Hungary, Rwanda and State of Palestine January 17, 2020
- Tanzania will continue to uphold one-China policy January 17, 2020
- A passion for food wins contest on innovative thinking January 17, 2020
Sports6 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .
celebrity radar - gossips4 weeks ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria