As part of efforts aimed at finding lasting solution to the perennial flooding affecting Ijebu -Ode and its environs, the Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has appealed to residents to desist from dumping refuse in the drainage system.
The Governor who made this known while on an inspection tour of some parts of the town including Igbeba, Paramount, Moborode, Italapo, Degun and Imowo Ibadan roads, said he decided to come and see first hand what flood has done to the town, urging them to be patient with the state government in its quest to find lasting solution to the menace.
He said the state government would come up with a comprehensive plan that would help to address the problem, adding that the drains that serve as carriage would be re- designed to accommodate large volume of flood water.
” From what we have seen here, the biggest problem we have in Ijebu Ode is that the drains that crisscross the town are small concrete drains that are covered so they don’t allow for maintenance, they are very tiny, Ijebu-Ode will require very big open drains that can easily be serviced and maintained, so,we are going to have a comprehensive plan aimed at revolving these problems once and for all”, he said.
Governor Abiodun noted that he was only fulfilling the promise he made during his electioneering campaign not to forget the people if voted into office, adding that all areas with the issue of flood, would be attended to.
The Governor while sympathizing with those whose homes were overtaken by the flood, reiterated the need for the people to always clean the drainages close to them, saying this would allow for easy flow of water and save the roads, which were constructed with public fund, from being destroyed.
“One of the biggest complain we’ve had is that most of the homes are being flooded once it rains, at times, people can’t even get into their homes till past midnight, so, I want to urge you to desist from throwing dirt into the drainages, let us clear our drainages frequently, assist us in taking the state to the next level”, he said.
RTEAN Dissolves Lagos Executives, Sets Up Caretaker Committee
FBNQuest Trustees Marks 40th Anniversary of preserving legacies in Nigeria
IWS offers free medical ,donate Clothes,Food stuffs in Lagos community
The Bisi Fayemi You Have Not Met- By Mary Oso-Omotoso
DEJI OWOYELE “THE BRIDGE BUILDER” @ 40
Cover Of The Week
- G5 Sahel heads of State throw their weight behind African Development Bank initiative Desert to power September 15, 2019
- African Development Bank launches US$ 2 billion 1.625% Global Benchmark due 16 September 2022 September 13, 2019
- Innovative thinking marks African Development Bank’s Africa jobs manifesto September 13, 2019
- Humanitarian Assistance provided to Vulnerable Communities affected by floods in Niger September 13, 2019
- U.S. Embassy Statement on Recent Attack on Humanitarian Workers in Gambella September 13, 2019
- Belgian-Backed Labour Migration Initiative boosts Employability of Tunisian Youth September 13, 2019
- Kingdom of Morocco wins High-Level Vote to host next World Tourism Organization General Assembly in 2021 September 13, 2019
- Appeal launched for Humanitarian Response to Cyclone Devastation in Mozambique September 13, 2019
- U.S. Trade and Development Agency (USTDA) supports LNG Importation and Distribution in Guinea September 13, 2019
- Malaria vaccine launched in Kenya: Kenya joins Ghana and Malawi to roll out landmark vaccine in pilot introduction September 13, 2019
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business6 months ago
News Flash! Ecobank Wins CBN/NIBSS Award For Data Integrity
Politics3 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS