As part of efforts aimed at finding lasting solution to the perennial flooding affecting Ijebu -Ode and its environs, the Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has appealed to residents to desist from dumping refuse in the drainage system.
The Governor who made this known while on an inspection tour of some parts of the town including Igbeba, Paramount, Moborode, Italapo, Degun and Imowo Ibadan roads, said he decided to come and see first hand what flood has done to the town, urging them to be patient with the state government in its quest to find lasting solution to the menace.
He said the state government would come up with a comprehensive plan that would help to address the problem, adding that the drains that serve as carriage would be re- designed to accommodate large volume of flood water.
” From what we have seen here, the biggest problem we have in Ijebu Ode is that the drains that crisscross the town are small concrete drains that are covered so they don’t allow for maintenance, they are very tiny, Ijebu-Ode will require very big open drains that can easily be serviced and maintained, so,we are going to have a comprehensive plan aimed at revolving these problems once and for all”, he said.
Governor Abiodun noted that he was only fulfilling the promise he made during his electioneering campaign not to forget the people if voted into office, adding that all areas with the issue of flood, would be attended to.
The Governor while sympathizing with those whose homes were overtaken by the flood, reiterated the need for the people to always clean the drainages close to them, saying this would allow for easy flow of water and save the roads, which were constructed with public fund, from being destroyed.
“One of the biggest complain we’ve had is that most of the homes are being flooded once it rains, at times, people can’t even get into their homes till past midnight, so, I want to urge you to desist from throwing dirt into the drainages, let us clear our drainages frequently, assist us in taking the state to the next level”, he said.
Cover Of The Week
- Speech by H.E. Ms. Jacobsen at Arusha Technical College Graduation Ceremony January 29, 2020
- UAE has prioritised relations with African countries: His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed January 29, 2020
- Santu Mofokeng (1956–2020) January 29, 2020
- Cubans and Namibians commemorate the Birth of the Apostle January 29, 2020
- Remarks by the Spokesperson of the Chinese Embassy in Zambia on the Outbreak of Pneumonia caused by the Novel Coronavirus January 29, 2020
- Egypt: African Development Bank approves $22 million to expand leasing financing to corporates and SMEs January 29, 2020
- Blitzboks excited to restore pride January 29, 2020
- ‘Agriculture is the most important business in the world,’ African Development Bank President Akinwumi Adesina tells students January 29, 2020
- The NBA is hiring a Marketing Lead, Basketball Africa League (BAL) January 29, 2020
- Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Benin President Talon January 29, 2020
Sports6 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria