Connect with us

Politics

Don’t Put Undue Pressure on Cabinet Members, Oyebanji Begs Citizens

Published

on

Don’t Put Undue Pressure on Cabinet Members, Oyebanji Begs Citizens

….Promises to surpass Fayemi’s achievements

….Lifts 2,600 citizens with N213m govt’s social investment

 

 

Ekiti State Governor, Mr Biodun Oyebanji, on Monday appealed to Ekiti people not to put undue pressure and demands on the newly appointed commissioners and Special Advisers, stressing that such could prevent them from coming to their constituencies regularly as true representatives of the people .

 

 

 

 

Oyebanji also declared that his government had expended a sum of N213 million to lift 2,600 indigent citizens from poverty under social investment component of his administration within the last 100 days.

 

 

 

 

The Governor revealed these in Omuo Ekiti, headquarters of Ekiti East Local government Area, while giving account of stewardship at a stakeholders’ engagement programme marking his 300 days in office.

 

 

 

Addressing the crowd at the well- attended programme held at MIMS Civic Centre, Iludofin, Omuo Ekiti, Oyebanji stated that his government is currently building two model schools in Ikole and Ikere Ekiti to complement the four magnificent structures earlier constructed in Ado Ekiti by the administration of Dr Kayode Fayemi.

 

 

 

Dispelling the fear being nursed by some concerned citizens that the new appointees could slow down his pace performance with their politicking, the Governor said the new appointees are coming with additional values to the government, adding that rather than slow down the pace of work, the public should expect greater level of performance.

 

 

 

“The new commissions are coming from different background and diverse level of expertise. We are still going to do much more than what we have done . If we can do all these in eight months without full cabinet, we should be able to do times two of these in four years.

 

 

“My cabinet members must hear this, our people said I am doing well because my Commissioners, who are politicians have not been brought on board. But I want to say that they don’t have any other choice than to do well. But don’t put unnecessary pressure on them. We should know that political appointment is a position of responsibility.

 

 

 

“When pressure is put on them, they will be dodging and would not want to come home. But these cabinet members are ready and willing and they have the fire power and experiences to do well. I have implicit confidence in them that they can only join us and deliver for our people.

“We must know that we contested the last election and won with APC as a vehicle and our members need to be very careful to remain in government. They must not take our people for granted or misbehave to them”.

In the area of security, Oyebanji rued the reported cases of kidnappings around Imesi-Ode-Omuo axis, saying the Amotekun Corps had been restructured to rise to the occasion of ensuring peace and security across all the towns in Ekiti. He urged traditional rulers to collaborate with the Amotekun Corps and other security agencies in the state to rid the state of criminal elements.

Oyebanji who thanked former GovernorKayode Fayemi for laying a very good foundation upon which his administration is building on, assured that he would strive hard to surpass the achievements of the Fayemi administration, adding that that would be the only way he can vindicate him(Fayemi) that he had made the right choice in backing him.

“Let me also state that Ekiti has been so lucky because all the governors that had ruled Ekiti State did well within the available resources. Let me assure you that I will never lie to you. I will continue to lead you with truth because it is too late for me to learn how to lie”.

Giving an explicit breakdown of the fund expended on social security, Oyebanji said his government spent a humongous sum of N96 million on 600 persons under Ekiti State Livelihood Grant component, and N117 million benefited from the Ekiti State Cash Transfer Unit to salvage the poorest of the poor from excruciating poverty.

He said he has released a cummulative sum of N800 million to tertiary institutions as subvention arrears, while he paid N400 million to defray outstanding obligations to State Universal Basic Education Board contractors.

“Aside the 2,600 that benefited from our cash transfer grants, we have registered 1,326 beneficiaries into the Labour Intensive Public Works, with N12,500 monthly stipend. We also distributed N24m to victims of disasters in Oke Ako and Ijesa Isu Ekiti.

“We have distributed N50m worth of relief materials to beneficiaries through the Federal Government Special National Economic Livelihood Emergency Intervention Programme. These are intended to make lives easy for our people”.

In a bid to expand the scope of food production for Ekiti to ascend food security status, the governor revealed that his government has rehabilitated 43.4 kilometre of roads in six local governments besides distributing subsidised farm inputs to 2,279 to farmers.

“My government has supported 1,566 farmers with both production assets and small scale processing equipment likewise providing 25% subsidy tractorisation to farmers”.

In the area of infrastructure and industrialisation, known as the backbones and pivots of any economy , Oyebanji said his government would be strategic in reconstructing and rehabilitating roads, assuring that only roads with high proclivities to drive his prosperity agenda will be accorded attentions.

He posited that the 3.5MW Independent Power Plant project is 90% completion to supply light to government offices and tertiary institutions in Ado Ekiti and suburb, saying this would rectify the epileptic power supply being experienced in some sections of the state .

“We are reconnecting Ikogosi , Erijiyan and Ikogosi Resort Centre back to the national grid to enhance the state tourism corridor. We need a sum of one billion naira to reconnect Ayekire , Ekiti East Local governments and their LCDAs after 10 years of darkness as well as Agriculture Processing Zone at Ikole back to the national grid.

“We have installed solar lights at Atikankan area of Ado Ekiti to lit up the area and checkmate criminals who were using the spot as criminal hideout. This government has extended the 33KV at Omisanjana Transmission Substation to Baptist High School and connection of Ilawe 33KV line with Erinjiyan-Ikogosi”.

To control incidences of flooding and wreckage of buildings and other valuable property, Oyebanji said his government had dredged waterways at Oreremope community, Ureje-olaoluwa, Basiri-Olorunda, Omisanjana and other susceptible areas in the state

The roll call at the event include: Ekiti State First Lady, Dr Olayemi Oyebanji, Ekiti State Deputy Governor, Chief (Mrs) Monisade Afuye, the Speaker, Ekiti State House of Assembly, Rt Hon. Adeoye Aribasoye, Secretary to the State Government, Dr Habibat Adubiaro, Head of Service, Engr Sunday Akomolafe, Commissioners, traditional rulers, farmers, driver unions, market men and women, students, among others.

 

Politics

Lagos PDP Kicks As Epe Council Boss Gets Enmeshed In Alleged Certificates Forgery

Published

on

Lagos PDP Kicks As Epe Council Boss Gets Enmeshed In Alleged Certificates Forgery

Lagos PDP Kicks As Epe Council Boss Gets Enmeshed In Alleged Certificates Forgery

The Youth wing of the Lagos State chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), under the leadership of Comrade Agboola Akinpelu Dare is calling for an investigation into allegations of certificate forgery against Princess Surah Olayemi Animashaun, the chairperson of Epe Local Government Area.

This isn’t the first time Animashaun has faced these allegations, which initially surfaced ahead of the last council election in Epe local government ¹.

According to a video shared on social media by Nifemi Vibrant, Animashaun is accused of forging her certificates, which would disqualify her from holding public office under the 2022 Electoral Act.

Another prominent figure from Epe, Olanrewaju Babatunde, also known as Bob Tarner, has come forward to accuse Animashaun of forging her certificates from primary to university level ¹.

The PDP is urging the Department of State Security Services (DSS) and other relevant government agencies to invite Animashaun for questioning and to scrutinize her credentials.

They argue that Epe is known for academic excellence and deserves better representation ¹.

Lagos PDP Kicks As Epe Council Boss Gets Enmeshed In Alleged Certificates Forgery

Continue Reading

Politics

Pro-democracy group tells Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Zamfara over insecurity, political repression

Published

on

Pro-democracy group tells Tinubu to declare state of emergency in Zamfara over insecurity, political repression

Pro-democracy group tells Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Zamfara over insecurity, political repression

 

 

 

The United Democratic Coalition (UDC) has called on President Bola Tinubu to immediately declare a state of emergency in Zamfara, citing worsening insecurity and a breakdown of democratic order in the state.

 

Pro-democracy group tells Tinubu to declare state of emergency in Zamfara over insecurity, political repression

 

The demand was contained in a statement on Friday signed by Abdulrahman Danladi, president of the coalition.

 

Danladi described Zamfara as “a state under siege,” accusing the state government of abandoning its constitutional duty to protect lives and uphold democratic principles.

 

“The situation in Zamfara has gone from troubling to terrifying. Armed groups operate freely, citizens are at the mercy of bandits, and yet those elected to speak up are being silenced,” the statement read.

 

He was referring to the recent suspension of 10 lawmakers in the Zamfara State House of Assembly, whom he said were punished for raising concerns about insecurity and illegal mining in their constituencies.

 

“What we are witnessing is not just lawlessness — it is executive tyranny. These lawmakers were elected by the people and have a duty to speak out. Instead of listening to them, the state assembly, clearly acting on orders, has shut them down,” Danladi said.

 

He likened the political tension in Zamfara to the recent situation in Rivers state, where Governor Siminalayi Fubara governed with just four lawmakers after a split in the House of Assembly — a scenario that prompted calls for federal intervention.

 

“If Rivers with four lawmakers sparked talks of emergency rule, how is Zamfara with 10 suspended lawmakers and spiraling violence, not a national concern?” Danladi asked.

 

“The same standard must apply. Democracy is being murdered in Zamfara in broad daylight. If the federal government could consider intervening in Rivers, it must not turn a blind eye to the breakdown in Zamfara.”

 

“We are calling for a six-month state of emergency in Zamfara to allow security forces to take control, restore peace, and return the state to constitutional order.”

 

The group also demanded the immediate reinstatement of the suspended lawmakers and an investigation into what it called “executive interference” in the legislature.

 

“This is not the time for political correctness. It is the time for leadership. The people of Zamfara are under siege — both by bandits and by those who should be protecting them,” the statement added.

 

Zamfara, one of Nigeria’s most troubled states, continues to face persistent attacks from armed groups, with thousands displaced and dozens killed in the past year alone.

Continue Reading

Politics

“I Have Proof!” – Suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Vows to Expose Akpabio Over Alleged Sexual Harassment

Published

on

“I Have Proof!” – Suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Vows to Expose Akpabio Over Alleged Sexual Harassment

“I Have Proof!” – Suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Vows to Expose Akpabio Over Alleged Sexual Harassment

Abuja, Nigeria – The political battle between embattled Kogi Central Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and Senate President Godswill Akpabio has taken a dramatic turn, as the suspended lawmaker has vowed to release damning evidence supporting her allegations of sexual harassment.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, Akpoti-Uduaghan stood by her explosive claims, insisting that she has concrete proof to back her allegations.

“At the right time and in the right place, I will present the evidence that I have,” she declared, sending shockwaves through Nigeria’s political landscape.

Political Vendetta or Truth Unveiled?

The senator’s latest revelation follows her controversial six-month suspension from the Senate, a decision she has repeatedly decried as a political witch-hunt orchestrated by Akpabio in retaliation for rejecting his alleged advances.

According to Akpoti-Uduaghan, the Senate President has been on a mission to destroy her political career, using his influence to frustrate her at every turn.

The battle between both lawmakers has sparked heated debate, with public outcry demanding an independent probe into her allegations. Many Nigerians see her suspension as an attempt to silence a strong female voice in a male-dominated political space.

INEC Rejects Recall Petition: A Small Victory for Akpoti-Uduaghan

In a separate twist, Akpoti-Uduaghan commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for rejecting a petition seeking her recall from the Senate. The embattled senator described the move as belated but necessary, suggesting that the recall attempt was part of a larger scheme to push her out of office permanently.

While Akpabio has yet to respond to her latest claims, political analysts warn that this confrontation could shake up Nigeria’s legislative structure, forcing a deeper conversation about abuse of power, gender-based harassment, and political victimization at the highest levels of government.

What’s Next?

With Akpoti-Uduaghan vowing to release explosive evidence, all eyes are now on what proof she possesses and how it could impact Akpabio’s political future.

If her allegations hold weight, the Senate President could face one of the biggest scandals in Nigeria’s political history—one that could trigger calls for his resignation or even legal action.

For now, Nigeria waits, as the storm brews in the Senate.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending