Google has released this year’s list of the events, personalities, and trends in sport and entertainment with the most queries on Google Search, in its 15th Annual Year in Search.
Google’s Annual Year in Search looks back at the events and hottest trends that kept fingers tapping throughout the year, in search of the latest news. So what caught the collective eye of Nigerians in 2015? Our 15th Annual Year in Search has all the answers, based on the top searches conducted in the country.
Local personalities, surprising events and unexpected trends in politics, business and entertainment had Nigerians trawling Google in search of answers. The postponed 2015 General ‘Elections’ for example, made the list of most searched events of the year, right behind the top ranking ‘Xenophobia Attacks’ in South Africa, which startled the world in April. Third on the list of Top 10 occurrences in Nigeria is the report on the arrest of pro-Biafra activist and Director of Radio Biafra, ‘Nnamdi Kanu’. The much anticipated, controversial Fight of the Century between ‘Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather’ isn’t left out of the list, although apparently outshone in the minds of Football-loving Nigerians by the ‘Under-17 World Cup’, which lies 4th on the list.
Despite the global buzz which followed ‘Bruce Jenner’s transgender revelation, Nigerians appeared to have been more fascinated by the stories surrounding President ‘Muhammadu Buhari’. Interest in the lifestyle and personality of Nigeria’s Head of State peaked during the presidential elections, placing him in second position on the list of people Nigerians searched. Topping the list is Nigerian actor, ‘Muna Obiekwe’ who passed away in January.
Nigerians’ pride in the country’s hugely popular entertainment industry is evident in the list of top trending songs with the founder of YBNL Nation, and rave of the moment, ‘Olamide’, taking pole position on the search list for Nigerian musicians and his hit track ‘Melo Melo’ leading the pack of top 10 trending songs, leaving Adele’s ‘Hello’ lying fourth behind Kiss Daniel’s ‘Woju remix’ and Olamide’s ‘Bobo’.
Top Searches in the Sports category were however dominated by Barclays Premier League Clubs ‘Arsenal FC’; ‘Chelsea FC’ and ‘Manchester United’. Thanks to the blackmail scandal hovering around him, Real Madrid and France striker ‘Karim Benzema’ makes the list of top sports personalities, behind ‘Pedro’, ‘Arda Turan’ and ‘Anthony Martial’.
The “Year-In-Search” lists are Google’s ann
Cover Of The Week
- Conquerors Ladies crowned 2020 Ghana Rugby Women's Champions February 16, 2020
- Hard work ahead for SA’s Guinness PRO14 sides February 16, 2020
- Basketball Africa League: Transcripts of NBA players’ reactions at NBA All-Star 2020 (Saturday February 15, 2020) February 16, 2020
- Vodacom Super Rugby Review – Round 3 February 16, 2020
- Basketball Africa League announces the 12 teams that will compete in Inaugural Season February 16, 2020
- Africa: Transcript of NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's Press Conference at NBA All-Star 2020 (Saturday February 15, 2020) February 16, 2020
- Stop Locusts In East Africa Now Or Pay Much More To Help People Later – World Food Programme (WFP) February 14, 2020
- MINUSMA condemns the attack on Ogossagou February 14, 2020
- Four countries in the African region license vaccine in milestone for Ebola prevention February 14, 2020
- Luxury lifestyle platform Lux Afrique appoints APO Group as their global public relations agency February 14, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK CELEBRATES D’TIGRESS ON BACK-TO-BACK AFROBASKET CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK HAILS D’TIGRESS ON QUARTERFINAL QUALIFICATION
Sports5 months ago
Winners emerge in the 2019 Nigerian and African Freestyle Football Championship