The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has inaugurated the Chieftaincy Review Committee with an assurance that his administration would not allow any form of assault on the traditional institution or its value.
Prince Abiodun who spoke at the inauguration held in his office at Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta,said his government places a very high premium on traditional institution and acknowledged the invaluable roles and contributions it plays in promoting good governance at the grassroots.
He decried the unprecedented approval, appointment and upgrade of some chiefs and Baales to coronet Obas, which generated reactions from the traditional institution and members of the public, adding that the setting up of the committee was to address the alleged anomalies.
” It will be recalled that the last administration approved the appointments and upgrade of some chieftaincy at the tail end of their administration, notable among these appointments was the upgrade of some baales to coronet Obas, which is unprecedented in the history of our traditional institution in the State.
“The setting up of this committee should not be seen as an exercise to score cheap political points or witch hunt anyone, but rather should be seen as a token of the seriousness our administration will continue to ascribe to the traditional institution,” he said.
Governor Abiodun however disclosed that his administration would ensure that all chieftaincy matters follow due process and the extant laws, while also placing high premium on chieftaincy matters and looking into the welfare of the traditional institutions.
” We will not only accord them the due respect but also ensure that their welfare is well taken care of, in addition, we will ensure that all chieftaincy matters follow due process and extant laws,” he said.
The Committee, according to the Governor, is to look into whether the appointment or promotion follow the extant laws of the state and due process, identify all the Obas and chiefs whose appointment or promotion fell within the review period as contained in the Ogun State House of Assembly Resolution No 017/2019, identify and address other issues that the committee may consider relevant to their assignment and also make appropriate recommendations to the government.
In his response, the chairman of the Committee, the Olu of Ilaro and Paramount Ruler of Yewaland, Oba Kehinde Olugbenle, disclosed that the committee would do a thorough job by being fair and just, adding that members would go back to the traditional institution and the people to educate them that government was not out to score cheap political points or on a revenge mission but to put things in their right perspective.
He applauded the governor for taken a bold step to right the wrongs of the past by setting up the committee, adding that the institution and the foundation of culture had been bastardized and destroyed.
Other members of the Committee are the Osile of Oke OnaEgba, Oba Adedapo Tejuoso, Dagburewe of Idowa, Oba Yinusa Adekoya, Elepe of Epe, Sagamu, Oba Adewale Osiberu, Aro of Egbaland, Chief Yinka Kufile, a former Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr Babatunde Oyeti and Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr. Lanre Osota.
I visit my town regularly, media report suggesting otherwise is misleading – Boroffice
OGUN GOVT TO PARTNER CHINESE COMPANY IN REPOSITIONING AGRICULTURE – ABIODUN
Abuja Aglow as World Presidents, Dignitaries, Celebrities set for Africa’s Biggest Event -#theUBAMarketplace2019
Access Bank UK Balance Sheet up 36% as Polo Day Pledges N350m for Children in Education
Fasoranti’s Daughter : The greatest danger to Nigeria are not the Fulani terrorists but treacherous Yoruba slaves- Femi-Fani Kayode Blasts Tinubu
Cover Of The Week
- World Health Organization (WHO) scales up activities in Burkina Faso in response to worsening humanitarian situation July 15, 2019
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Ministry of Higher Education, American University in Cairo (AUC) Inaugurate Centers for Career Development at Zagazig University July 15, 2019
- Voluntary National Reviews (VNR) lab reviews progress towards sustainable development goals July 15, 2019
- Fly, Stay, Earn - Marriott International And Emirates Strengthen Partnership With Relaunch Of Your World Rewards July 15, 2019
- July 17 Briefing on West Africa ― Public Health after the 2014-2016 Ebola Outbreak, with U.S. CDC's Center for Global Health Director Dr. Rebecca Martin July 15, 2019
- Canon Discovery Week continues in Nairobi, with in-store discounts throughout July to further develop relationship with customers July 15, 2019
- Moving the 2019 Total Africa Cup of Nations July 15, 2019
- Global Premium Smartphone TECNO Wins Africa Information Technology & Telecoms Awards (AITTA)Phone of the Year 2019 July 15, 2019
- Communities urged to support survivors of sexual violence rather than blaming and shaming them (by Filip Andersson) July 15, 2019
- IOM Outraged By Somalia Terrorist Attack July 15, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized5 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business2 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime3 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others