The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has inaugurated the Chieftaincy Review Committee with an assurance that his administration would not allow any form of assault on the traditional institution or its value.
Prince Abiodun who spoke at the inauguration held in his office at Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta,said his government places a very high premium on traditional institution and acknowledged the invaluable roles and contributions it plays in promoting good governance at the grassroots.
He decried the unprecedented approval, appointment and upgrade of some chiefs and Baales to coronet Obas, which generated reactions from the traditional institution and members of the public, adding that the setting up of the committee was to address the alleged anomalies.
” It will be recalled that the last administration approved the appointments and upgrade of some chieftaincy at the tail end of their administration, notable among these appointments was the upgrade of some baales to coronet Obas, which is unprecedented in the history of our traditional institution in the State.
“The setting up of this committee should not be seen as an exercise to score cheap political points or witch hunt anyone, but rather should be seen as a token of the seriousness our administration will continue to ascribe to the traditional institution,” he said.
Governor Abiodun however disclosed that his administration would ensure that all chieftaincy matters follow due process and the extant laws, while also placing high premium on chieftaincy matters and looking into the welfare of the traditional institutions.
” We will not only accord them the due respect but also ensure that their welfare is well taken care of, in addition, we will ensure that all chieftaincy matters follow due process and extant laws,” he said.
The Committee, according to the Governor, is to look into whether the appointment or promotion follow the extant laws of the state and due process, identify all the Obas and chiefs whose appointment or promotion fell within the review period as contained in the Ogun State House of Assembly Resolution No 017/2019, identify and address other issues that the committee may consider relevant to their assignment and also make appropriate recommendations to the government.
In his response, the chairman of the Committee, the Olu of Ilaro and Paramount Ruler of Yewaland, Oba Kehinde Olugbenle, disclosed that the committee would do a thorough job by being fair and just, adding that members would go back to the traditional institution and the people to educate them that government was not out to score cheap political points or on a revenge mission but to put things in their right perspective.
He applauded the governor for taken a bold step to right the wrongs of the past by setting up the committee, adding that the institution and the foundation of culture had been bastardized and destroyed.
Other members of the Committee are the Osile of Oke OnaEgba, Oba Adedapo Tejuoso, Dagburewe of Idowa, Oba Yinusa Adekoya, Elepe of Epe, Sagamu, Oba Adewale Osiberu, Aro of Egbaland, Chief Yinka Kufile, a former Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr Babatunde Oyeti and Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr. Lanre Osota.
FINALLY! ABIODUN SIGNS OGUN INVESTMENT PROMOTION AGENCY, 3 OTHER BILLS INTO LAW
ABIODUN SIGNS OGUN INVESTMENT PROMOTION AGENCY, 3 OTHER BILLS INTO LAW
Edo Police Command Parades 144 Suspects
Rep Member Hold Essay Competition For Constituent
Wellness HMO Again Adopts Three Women for ‘Wellness for Life’
Cover Of The Week
- Big Improvement of International Airport in Malawi by Japan’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) September 20, 2019
- UN Human Rights Council 42: Statement for the Universal Periodic Review on Ethiopia September 20, 2019
- Successful Digital Women Entrepreneurs at UN Assembly September 20, 2019
- As drought compounds security woes, Somalis flee to Ethiopia (By Katie Nguyen) September 20, 2019
- Africa and Europe share Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) experiences September 20, 2019
- Levente Magyar holds talks on Hungary-related business issues in Egypt September 20, 2019
- New ambassadors from Ireland, Namibia and Malaysia September 20, 2019
- Libya: humanitarian operation brings to Italy four Libyan paediatric patients September 20, 2019
- New International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Collection Reveals Latest Migratory Trends in Mauritania September 20, 2019
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Deplores Death of Migrant, Killed Thursday upon Disembarkation in Tripoli September 20, 2019
Business5 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Business6 months ago
News Flash! Ecobank Wins CBN/NIBSS Award For Data Integrity
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Politics4 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS