Foremost financial institution, Guaranty Trust Bank is set to hold the finals of the GTBank-Lagos State Principals Cup on Thursday 19th July at the Agege Stadium, Lagos. The prestigious tournament, now in its 9th year promises to be a thrilling encounter between the four qualifying teams as they stake their claim as ultimate champions of the football competition.
Considered one of the most followed grassroots football tournaments in Secondary schools, this year’s finals will kick off with a match between the qualifying teams in the female category; Isale Eko Senior Grammar School, Lagos Island and Girls High School, Agege.
In the male category, defending champions of the competition, Ijaiye Housing Estate Senior Grammar School will face arch-rivals St. Finbarr’s College, Akoka. Both teams will meet after a thrilling encounter at the Semi Finals in which St. Finbarr’s College romped to a 2-0 win against Egan Senior Grammar School, Alimosho, to finish top of Group B. Except for St. Finbarr’s College which finished 2nd in 2015, two out of the four finalists have won the trophy in the past.
After the face off on Thursday, winners will be rewarded with the sum of N1,000,000.00, N750,000.00 and N500,000.00 and N250,000.00 for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place winners respectively in both male and female categories.
Commenting on the Finals of the 2017 GTBank Lagos State Principals Cup, Segun Agbaje, the MD/CEO of Guaranty Trust Bank plc, stated that, “We are delighted to see schools aiming for their first ever trophies in this competition; it emphasizes the growing stature of the GTBank-Lagos State Principals Cup as a platform for the cultivation of dreams through hard work and discipline.”
Over the years, the GTBank-Lagos State Principals Cup has propelled the professional careers of several talented and now renowned players like Stephen Odey, who captained his alma mater- Dairy Farm Senior Secondary School to victory in the 2012 edition of the competition and is now a player in FC Zurich. Esther Adeboye, one of the Most Valuable Players in the 2014 Competition from State High School, Alimosho also joined the National Female U-17 Team – The Flamingoes – that represented Nigeria at the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup.
Guaranty Trust Bank, a youth oriented brand, maintains the lead in providing support for education and sports to enable young boys and girls explore their talents and reach for their dreams. It is one of the few Nigerian financial institutions that have maintained a defined Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategy, most especially in sports education. The Bank actively supports in-classroom and out-of-classroom educational programmes, infrastructure development, students’ scholarship and teachers training across Africa.
Progress photographs for palliative works along Itoikin-Ibefun-Ijebu Ode Road, Ogun State
4 police officers arrested over extrajudicial killing in Lagos
ALOGBA STEPS IN AS LAGOS’ 17TH CHIEF JUDGE, PLEDGES ‘SMART JUDICIARY’
OGSG DISTRIBUTES RELIEF MATERIALS TO FLOOD VICTIMS
Meet Thriving gospel artiste, Psalmist Grace Oluwadiya
Cover Of The Week
- The Uganda Rugby Cranes coach today named the team that will take on Zimbabwe on 24th August in Harare August 21, 2019
- United States of America Supports Ghana’s Fisheries and Coastal Environment Development Agenda August 21, 2019
- As risks of outbreaks grow, African health ministers agree to new response strategy August 21, 2019
- Africa today heads into the last mile to be free of wild polio August 21, 2019
- New CNPC Discovery Confirms South Sudan’s Immense Oil Potential August 21, 2019
- Rugby: Zimbabwe Sables Ready To Host Cranes August 21, 2019
- American Film “The Money Stone” makes its Africa premiere at Black Star International Film Festival August 21, 2019
- New Permanent Representative of South Africa presents Credentials August 21, 2019
- African Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) to attract $103 Billion in 2019 August 21, 2019
- Ambassador of Belarus Sergei Rachkov met with the Minister of State for Military Production of Egypt August 21, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized6 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime4 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others