Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State, yesterday, said at some point in his life, he “never thought he would ever” end up a politician.
Speaking at the burial service in honour of Olatunji Braithwaite, a lawyer, politician and activist, at Reverend Braithwaite Memorial Anglican Church, Epe, Ambode said the deceased inspired him to work and serve the masses.
The governor said he had always been fascinated about the late lawyer’s disposition towards the people of Nigeria.
“I never thought I would ever be a politician but I have always been excited about the things Dr Braithwaite used to propagate and it appears I have a personal connection around the issues that relate to people,” he said.
“That is why we decided, on behalf of the good people of Lagos, that we must honour this very good man and to also immortalise him.
“He must be remembered in a way that people can come to understand those who actually stood for true democracy and also fought for the masses but they never had the opportunity to do what I have a chance to replicate.”
In his sermon, Adebola Ademowo, bishop of Lagos Anglican diocese, said Braithwaite led an impactful life following the testimonies of people.
Ademowo said Braithwaite never buried his talent but used it to fight against corruption, injustice and a system promoting mediocrity and criminal wealth.
Senator Ben Obi, a former special adviser to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan on political matters, described Braithwaite as “a light that feared no darkness”.
Oluleye, one of the sons of the deceased, also described his father as a mentor and democrat, who would be greatly missed by the family and the nation at large.
Braithwaite died in Lagos on March 28, aged 82.
Cover Of The Week
- WHO Builds trust for COVID-19 Vaccination and Addresses Hesitancy in West Nile Sub Region April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus - Sierra Leone: COVID-19 update (13 April 2021) April 14, 2021
- UN-Habitat and Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) partner in cash transfer initiative to cushion Kismayo residents from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 update (13 April 2021) April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (13 April 2021) April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 update (13 April 2021) April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus - Eritrea: Announcement from the Ministry of Health (13 April 2021) April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus - South Africa: COVID-19 update (13 April 2021) April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 update (13 April 2021) April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 update (13 April 2021) April 14, 2021
Politics5 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion4 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Politics5 months ago
Will Primate Ayodele’s Warning To Joe Biden On US Election Come To Pass?