The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, has called for restraint in the use of lethal arms by law enforcement officers in the State.
The Governor said he has had to intervene in the unrest that erupted in Imasayi in the Yewa North LGA of the State, when a joint task force, comprising of the Military, Police, Customs, Immigration and the DSS had a face off with the youths of the Community which resulted in untimely death of an officer.
Abiodun said he has been in contact with relevant authorities in the Army and the Nigeria Customs Service.
A statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Kunle Somorin, added that talks are ongoing towards apprehending the suspects who allegedly killed a uniformed officer in the melee.
A manhunt, the statement said, has therefore been launched on the suspect who also made away with the slain officer’s weapon.
Already, the manhunt as at this morning (Sunday), the statement disclosed, has yielded result with the recovery of the said stolen rifle, but the search to identify and arrest the culprits continues under the strict directive of the Governor.
Fortunately, he added, suspects already arrested in connection with this criminal act are giving useful information that would lead to the arrest of the main suspect.
Governor Abiodun urged law enforcement agents to exercise restraint and be humane in carrying out their duties.
He, however, warned that the Ogun State Government will not condone assault on any serving officer of the Military, Nigeria Police and the Paramilitary who daily sacrifice their private lives to serve the public.
He commiserates with families of the slain officer and promised that no stone would be left unturned to unearth the circumstance of the crisis.
The Governor also called on law-abiding residents of the Community to go about their usual activities, as peace has since returned to the axis with the presence of Riot Police and officers of the Nigerian Army.
Investigation will continue until the murder suspect and other culpable persons are apprehended, the statement concluded.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Kenya: Distribution of Cases by Counties (1 December 2020) December 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 updates (1 December 2020) December 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 reported cases in Ethiopia (1 December 2020) December 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: COVID-19 Update (1 December 2020) December 2, 2020
- Nestlé partners with Nomanini and Standard Bank to empower informal retail traders across the Eastern and Southern Africa Region December 2, 2020
- LaLiga signs Mondia group as strategic technology and commercial partner for Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific December 2, 2020
- African Energy Chamber projects Africa’s Power Demand to Keep Rising Between 4-5% per year December 2, 2020
- African Development Bank Board approves People Strategy for 2021-2025 December 2, 2020
- Financial services brands foster a community spirit to drive innovation (By Nikolai Stankau) December 2, 2020
- Vertiv Ranked as Global Leader in Rapidly Evolving Data Center Cooling Market December 2, 2020
Politics6 days ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
Popular Yoruba Actor, Kanran Smiles Again, gets Car, Cash, Property Worth Millions (video)
Metro3 months ago
8 People killed in Edo over ₦100
Sports3 months ago
Prophet TB Joshua Speaks To Messi