The Secretary of the Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Hon Lanre Ogunyemi has expressed strong reservations on the current crisis in the state House of Assembly.
Ogunyemi, a two-term former member of the House decried the turn of events in the House noting that the party leadership should have been consulted before action taken on Monday, 9 March, against four members of the House.
It would be recalled that on Monday, the House members removed two Principal Officers: Hon Olumuyiwa Jimoh, Apapa 2, Deputy Majority Leader; and Hon Rotimi Abiru, Somolu 2, Chief Whip while two other members: Hon Moshood Olanrewaju Oshun, Lagos Mainland 2; and Hon Kazeem Adewale Raheem, Ibeju Lekki 2 were suspended Indefinitely.
Speaking on the matter, Ogunyemi stated that the House members may have applied the disciplinary tool wrongly, saying, “if disciplinary tool will be applied in accordance with House Rules, suspended and deposed members should have been given benefit of fair hearing via appearance before a panel to ensure that allegations of insubordination and gross misconduct are proven.
“Furthermore, all members of the House are products of the party and it is expected that they would explore leadership and party machinery on the matter before arriving at their far reaching decision”.
Ogunyemi also querried the legality or otherwise of the members’ decision, stressing that members should have examined the legality or otherwise of suspending another member Indefinitely.
The APC Secretary stated that in the coming days, the party leadership will take a decision on the matter with a view to finding an amicable solution to the crisis.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Zambia: Daily COVID-19 update 5th August 2020 August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Gambia: Daily Case Update as of 4th August 2020 August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (5th August 2020) August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 reported cases in Ethiopia (5th August 2020) August 5, 2020
- COVID-19 Situation Report for Nigeria (4 August 2020) August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Eswatini: Minister of Health Lizzie Nkosi announces four new COVID-19 deaths in Eswatini August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: The European Investment Bank (EIB) and Afreximbank direct EUR 300m of support to African COVID response August 5, 2020
- Blue Prism Positioned as a Leader in the Magic Quadrant for Robotic Process Automation Again in 2020 August 5, 2020
- Africa Oil Week’s Online Conference to Host “Somalia Licensing Round: Derisking Above Ground Factors” Session, with Address from Petroleum and Mineral Resources Minister August 5, 2020
- Chevron’s Entry into Equatorial Guinea and Cameroon Could be a Turning Point for Central Africa’s Gas Industry August 5, 2020
news5 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Uncategorized2 months ago
STOP PRESS! AJIMOBI IS NOT DEAD SAYS SPOKESMAN, BOLAJI TUNJI
Politics3 months ago
Lagos Speaker,Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa Clears The Air On Fraud Rumour
Education2 months ago
Methodist owned Wesley University owe staff up to 40 months Salaries