Connect with us

Politics

INEC, EU Organise Free Concert At TBS On Saturday, Admission By PVC

Published

on

PVCs

INEC, EU Organise Free Concert At TBS On Saturday, Admission By PVC

By Olorunfemi Adejuyigbe

 

 

 

INEC, EU Organise Free Concert At TBS On Saturday, Admission By PVC

The European Union (EU) in partnership with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) will organise a second edition of ‘Youth Votes Count’, which is a free music concert to encourage more youths to register and vote in the 2023 general elections.

The organisers emphasised the need for younger people to be actively involved in the political processes, saying this would bridge the gap of voter apathy in the country.

 

 

 

 

Speaking about the project, Project Manager at EU, Mrs. Olaolu Olawunmi, said the concert would take place at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos on Saturday, June 11, by 10 a.m. and the only gate pass needed is the Personal Voter Card (PVC) or Temporary Voter Card (TVC).

‘Youth Vote Count’ initiative is a non-partisan campaign, funded by the EU and was launched in 2018 with the sole objective of getting young people to participate more in the electoral process.

 

 

 

 

 

Olawunmi lamented that there is disconnect between the younger generation and political processes, saying that this is as a result of high degree of distrust in the electoral processes.

She said: “This has been a long time in planning and we are very happy that we are at a stage where we are implementing the plan and looking towards a successful conclusion. It has taken a lot of teamwork to get to where we are today and we agreed that the electoral process would be inclusive, transparent and efficient and that there are efforts to ensure that the process is continuously improved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“The ‘Youth Vote Count’ is a non partisan campaign that was launched in 2018 with the sole objective of getting young people to participate more in the electoral process. The population of young people in this country is huge but that has not translated to an effective participation in the electoral process. We want to get young Nigerians to get involved.

“We know that there is a high level of voter apathy and the reason people don’t want to engage is because they don’t believe that the system would work for them. They don’t believe that how they cast their votes would influence the kind of leaders that we would get at the end of the day.

 

 

 

 

 

“Even if you decide not to engage, it is a decision that would affect the political process, so why not lend your voice? This is the message that the Youth Vote Count is trying to pass across,” she said.

Also speaking at the press conference, the INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Olusegun Agbaje, hinted that there is no plan to extend the date of Continuous Voters Registration (CVR), while urging the youths to get their PVCs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agbaje assured that the commission is working hard to ensure that all votes count, adding that to make the process easier, the commission brought 50 capturing machines from Abuja and added more polling units to Lagos.

He said, “We wanted to bring the youths together, talk with them so that they can know that their votes would count in the general election and they have up to the end of June 30 when the exercise would have been completed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“The CVR would end on June 30 and the commission does not have any intention of extending the date any further and that is why the EU has partnered with INEC to ensure that we bring as many on board as we can get among the youths, particularly in Lagos State.

“What we are doing here today is not going to be limited to Lagos State alone, it will be done in all parts of the federation. We are only kick starting from here. Those who want to transfer their PVC to a closer polling unit, those whose PVCs are damaged all came here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Last year, the commission improved the number of polling units that we have in Lagos State but many of them have not been properly populated. It would be too bad if we go for election and the commission has to be printing ballot papers and there won’t be voters.

“I have told the European Union that every week we usually capture about 25,000 every week. About 50 machines have been brought from Abuja and they are working perfectly and in good use.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I wish to sincerely thank the EU for their support to ensure we have a very successful outcome. The EU has spent a lot of money to organise the concert and we don’t want it to go to waste. We want everyone to come and watch the show, which is free. The only gate fee you need to show is your PVC or Temporary Voters Card,” he said.

Some of the artists expected are Kizz Daniel, who will headline the show, MI, Teni the Entertainer, Tubaba, Falz, Patoranking, Mayorkun, Omawunmi and actors like Chioma Chukwuka, Mr. Macaroni, among others.

news

Journalists for Good Governance Shines Searchlight on Local Government Administration

Published

on

Journalists for Good Governance Shines Searchlight on Local Government Administration

…Calls for Accountability in Nigeria’s Grassroots Governance

 

LAGOS, Nigeria — A civil society coalition known as Journalists for Good Governance(JGG) has intensified public debate on transparency and accountability within Nigeria’s local government system, urging media professionals, civil society actors, and citizens to hold grassroots leaders accountable.

Speaking an event in Lagos recently, the acting chairman of the society, Comrade Bunmi Obarotimi said that despite reforms such as the Supreme Court’s 2024 ruling granting financial autonomy to all 774 Local Government Areas (LGAs), systemic challenges continues to hinder effective service delivery and responsible stewardship of public funds.

“Local governments are the closest tier of government to the people — yet too often they remain the least transparent. Without civic oversight and vibrant media, promises of autonomy ring hollow.” the acting chairman said.

The Journalist for Good Governance emphasised crucial roles that journalists can play in uncovering discrepancies in council spending, flagging poor service delivery, and educating citizens on their rights. Their call comes amid wider efforts by media and civic organisations to bridge accountability gaps. The civil society initiatives had previously launched monitoring campaigns to track local government expenditures and have been quietly advocating for transparency in how public money is deployed.

The leaders of the Journalists for Good Governance (JGG) highlighted the importance of physical assessment and citizens engagement on projects to boost people’s confidence, urging local councils to adopt open data platforms and proactive information dissemination in compliance with the Freedom of Information Act. Experts say the majority of LGAs currently lack operational websites or digital portals, further limiting public scrutiny.

The Journalists for Good Governance initiative aligns with sustained advocacy by civil society groups and governance experts calling for a collective approach to strengthening democratic accountability, and has decided to engage in critical and holistic assessments of how Local Governments is being run and the impact and quality of projects they embark-on and to address deficits in transparency and public trust.
Meanwhile, some state governments have signalled support for improved community engagement. In Lagos State, authorities reiterated a commitment to enhancing community media platforms as vehicles for civic participation and accountability at the grassroots level.

The renewed spotlight on local government administration has reignited public debate over fiscal responsibility and priorities. Controversies such as the widely criticised Adamawa council chairmen’s wives trip to Istanbul — which drew public outrage for perceived misuse of public funds — underscore why watchdog groups say stronger oversight mechanisms are urgently needed at the grassroots.
Citizens and activists have welcomed the journalists’ initiative, calling for sustained media engagement that goes beyond headlines to influence policy and accountability reform.
The civic rights advocates note that real change will require robust legal frameworks, a free press, and empowered communities equipped to demand transparency at every level of governance.
As Journalists for Good Governance mobilises its members, the coming months are likely to see heightened media attention on grassroots administration — from council budgets and service delivery to the enforcement of public information laws and digital transparency initiatives.

Continue Reading

Politics

Gov. Dauda Lawal commissions projects in Anka LGA, Commits to Sustainable Development

Published

on

Gov. Dauda Lawal commissions projects in Anka LGA, Commits to Sustainable Development

 

The Executive Governor of Zamfara State, Dr. Dauda Lawal, has reiterated his administration’s steadfast commitment to guiding Zamfara State towards sustainable development by inaugurating and initiating a series of pivotal projects in the Anka Local Government Area.

Among the key undertakings announced are the comprehensive reconstruction and modernization of the Emir of Anka’s palace, signaling a revitalization of traditional leadership; the initiation of work on the crucial Anka–Abbare Road, which is expected to significantly improve connectivity; and the construction of a new Local Government Secretariat.

Additionally, the projects encompass the establishment of dedicated offices for the Hisbah Commission and the Community Protection Guards, alongside the reconstruction of the Safe School in Anka, emphasizing the administration’s focus on enhancing educational infrastructure.

During the commissioning event, Governor Lawal highlighted that these projects are a fulfillment of commitments made during his campaign, aimed at transforming the local landscape by improving infrastructure, stimulating economic growth, bolstering public service efficiency, and enhancing the capacities of security agencies. He called for a collective effort from the community to ensure proper maintenance of these facilities, underscoring the shared responsibility in preserving public assets.

Governor Lawal shared that similar projects have also been inaugurated in Tsafe, with plans for upcoming projects in Kaura Namoda, Moriki, Bungudu, Bukkuyum, and Zurmi, all expected to be completed and inaugurated by the year’s end. This ambitious timeline reflects the administration’s urgency in addressing the development needs of various regions within the state.

In his remarks, the governor urged residents and local traditional institutions to collaborate closely in maintaining the newly commissioned structures and supporting the overarching objectives of his administration. “I stand here in Anka today to honor our commitments to the people of Anka Local Government and all of Zamfara State. The official opening of the new palace for the ‘Sarkin Zamfaran Anka’ and the Zamfara State Council of Chiefs is a significant milestone that wraps up today’s agenda,” he stated.

Governor Lawal emphasized the strategic importance of the Anka–Abbare Road, describing it as a critical artery that will not only enhance access to remote areas but also stimulate economic activities and generate multiplier effects throughout the local economy. He articulated the necessity of providing a conducive work environment for civil servants, affirming that the new local government secretariat and dedicated offices will significantly contribute to strengthening law and order within the state.

“Education is the cornerstone of any thriving society. Our focused initiatives are oriented towards fostering a safe, secure, and supportive environment for our students. I am also proud to announce the completion and commissioning of the reconstructed SAFE School Anka today,” he remarked, reaffirming the administration’s dedication to education.

The governor further noted that the commissioning of the Emir’s Palace serves to restore the historical prominence of traditional institutions, which he regards as pivotal custodians of the region’s culture and heritage. He underlined the administration’s awareness of the invaluable role that these institutions play in fostering the state’s growth and emphasized the necessity of aligning development projects with cultural values.

In conclusion, the governor mentioned that after the successful commissioning in Anka and Tsafe, future projects in Kaura Namoda and Moriki will follow suit, while those in Bungudu, Bukkuyum, and Zurmi remain on track for completion and official commissioning before the year concludes.

Continue Reading

news

GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE HAILS GOVERNOR UBA SANI’S APPOINTMENT AS RENEWED HOPE AMBASSADOR

Published

on

GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE HAILS GOVERNOR UBA SANI’S APPOINTMENT AS RENEWED HOPE AMBASSADOR

 

 

The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative (GCGMSI) has extended its warm congratulations to His Excellency, Mallam Uba Sani, the Executive Governor of Kaduna State, following his recent appointment as a Renewed Hope Ambassador and Deputy Director-General for Party Outreach, Engagement, and Mobilisation by the All Progressives Congress (APC).

 

This felicitation was formally conveyed in a statement signed by the Initiative’s Convener, Ibrahim Dahiru Danfulani, Sadaukin Garkuwan Keffi/Betara Biu, and disseminated to the press.

 

The statement highlighted that the Grand Patron of the GCGMSI, His Excellency General Christopher Gwabin Musa, OFR, Minister of Defence of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, received the news of the appointment with great pride but without surprise. According to the statement, General Musa expressed unwavering confidence in Governor Uba Sani’s proven capability and salient leadership qualities, affirming that the Governor is eminently equipped to deliver on every task entrusted to him.

 

The Grand Patron further extended profound appreciation to the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, His Excellency Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for recognising and finding Governor Uba Sani worthy of this critical national assignment. The appointment, which takes effect immediately, was made by the President in his capacity as the leader of the APC, citing the Governor’s exceptional organisational abilities and strategic acumen.

 

In his new role, Governor Sani is tasked with working in close collaboration with the Director-General of the Renewed Hope Ambassadors and the party hierarchy, including the National Chairman of the APC. His primary mandate is to ensure harmony, inclusiveness, and strategic coordination across all levels of the party’s mobilization and engagement architecture, a vital function for advancing the political agenda.

 

Demonstrating its commitment to national service and effective governance, the GCGMSI, under the direct directive of its Grand Patron, General Musa, has officially mobilised its formidable structure. The Initiative has pledged the full deployment of its extensive network, seasoned personnel, and robust operational framework to assist and support Governor Uba Sani in the successful execution of his new responsibilities.

 

 

The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative, renowned for its disciplined organisation, widespread grassroots penetration, and capacity for large-scale civic mobilisation, stands ready as a pivotal force. This move underscores the GCGMSI’s pivotal role as a key support system for national development initiatives and its unwavering dedication to fostering unity and progress under the Renewed Hope agenda.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending