Connect with us

news

ITTF CHALLENGE: AMBODE PLEDGES BIGGER TOURNAMENT IN 2019

Published

on

 

…As Quadri Emerges First Nigerian To Win Championship

 

Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode on Sunday expressed excitement over the emergence of first Nigerian to win the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Seamaster Challenge, assuring that the State Government would support the tournament in a bigger edition in 2019.

 

Speaking to journalists after watching the finals of the tournament tagged ITTF Nigeria Open 2018 held at Molade Okoya Thomas Hall of Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere where Nigerian table tennis star, Aruna Quadri emerged victorious, Governor Ambode said it was gratifying to note the remarkable improvement in this year’s edition of the championship, saying that next year’s edition would be more exciting.

 

He said: “This is a major improvement from last year’s competition and again for the very first time in the last six years, we found a Nigerian winning the men’s singles and this brings a lot of excitement for me because I have been supporting table tennis and I know that next year’s tournament will be more exciting than this.

 

“As a government, we are going to put more support; we put more financial support so that we can attract more people and also encourage more Nigerians to participate. You know we actually gave bonus to Nigerians that have qualified and that is also to encourage more of our own local players to compete internationally,” Governor Ambode said.

 

He particularly assured that the State Government would put efforts in place to host the tournament in a bigger hall to encourage more participation, just as he assured that the programmes of his administration for sports development in the State were on course.

 

“We have a master programme to encourage sports in Lagos State and people would see it as it is unfolding. You can see that we are reconstructing Onikan Stadium; we are going to Ajegunle to do another Sports Complex there and I don’t want to overpromise but I can assure that next year, we are going to do this tennis tournament in a bigger hall that can take 16 sets at the same time and also take maybe about 5,000 fans at the same time,” Governor Ambode said.

 

Quadri emerged victorious after defeating his opponent from France, Harchard Antoine to win $5,000. The Nigerian also won another $200 courtesy of the fair play award which was also awarded to him.

 

Also, the best Nigerian home-grown player of the tournament, Jamiu Anyawale was rewarded with cash gift of $200.

 

Responding, Quadri thanked the fans who supported him all the way to win the tournament, saying the victory could not have been possible without their support.

 

“If not for my fans that supported me all the way, this victory would not have been possible and so I want to thank the people for standing by me,” Quadri said.

 

Antonie, who is from France, was rewarded with $2,500 for emerging as the first runner up of the men’s singles, while Guo Yan from China went home with $5,000 for winning the women’s singles. Her fellow compatriot, Sun Chen was awarded with $2,500 for emerging as the first runner up of the women’s singles.

 

 

Sahara weekly online is published by First Sahara weekly international. contact saharaweekly@yahoo.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

news

Oluyinka Replaces Odunlami Funmilayo as Ondo Police Spokesperson

Published

on

 

The Ondo State Police Command has appointed Ayanlade Olayinka Olushola as its new Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO).

He has officially resumed duty and will serve as the Command’s spokesperson, managing public communications and enhancing the force’s image.

This was made known in a statement signed by CSP Funmilayo Odunlami, the outgoing PPRO, on behalf of the Ondo State Commissioner of Police.

Ayanlade holds a degree in Sociology from the Nigeria Police Academy (Regular Course 2) and a Master’s in Criminology and Security Studies. Over the years, he has served in various roles, including as a Divisional Traffic Officer and Divisional Crime Officer.

He is also affiliated with international security organizations, being a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) and the International Association of Crime Analysts.

The Command also called on the public and media organizations to support Ayanlade in his new role.

Continue Reading

society

From Giant to Beggar: The Tragic Collapse of Nigeria Under APC Rule

Published

on

From Giant to Beggar: The Tragic Collapse of Nigeria Under APC Rule

 

By George Omagbemi Sylvester

 

Once hailed as the “Giant of Africa,” Nigeria now limps on broken legs — economically battered, politically rudderless, and morally bankrupt. It is no longer just the brain drain that should worry us; it is the soul drain. Nigerians — students, professionals, entire families — are fleeing not just to Europe or North America, but to Ghana, a nation we once dismissed as “small brother.” This is not just ironic. It is humiliating. And it is a direct consequence of the All Progressives Congress (APC) taking power in 2015.

 

From Giant to Beggar: The Tragic Collapse of Nigeria Under APC Rule

 

The APC’s takeover, starting with President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, marked the beginning of a free-fall. What followed was a decade of despair, capped now by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu — another APC patriarch — who has inherited and worsened the crisis. The result? Every airport terminal has become a departure lounge for the talented, the young, and the fed up.

 

From Giant to Beggar: The Tragic Collapse of Nigeria Under APC Rule

 

A Decade of Despair: From Buhari

Continue Reading

news

Anyone that intimidates,oppresses Natasha further will face grave consequences, prophet Ikuru warns

Published

on

 

By Collins Nkwocha

The prophetic hall of fame and Ambassador of peace,prophet Godwin Ikuru of Jehovah Eye Salvation Ministry has warned that those oppressing and intimidating senator Natasha Akpoti will be exposed if they continue to perpetuate the ungodly and derogatory act.

Speaking to newsmen today in Lagos, prophet Ikuru enunciated that God is not happy with the injustice the female senator has been subjected to “the injustice Natasha is facing is too much,they want to reduce her to nothing and rubbish her existence, what has she done?just because she cried out and told everyone what she has been passing through,I want to warn those who have been plotting against her sternly that anyone that intimidates or oppresses her again will face grave consequences “.

Prophet Ikuru maintained that Senator Natasha has been a good example and a great role model to women in politics “senator Natasha is loved dearly by her constituency because she is performing magnificently and allowing her people to feel the impact of democracy,no senator in that constituency has done half of what Natasha did within a year,why the plot to remove her unjustly through a manipulated recall,I,the prophetic hall of fame,I decree that anyone that is after your life, let the power of God scatter them, anyone that wants to disrupt Asiwaju government let God scatter them, anyone that wants to disrupt the government of Babajide Sanwo-Olu God will scatter them ”

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending