From Elvis Omoregie, Benin City
The peaceful march by the active Citizens, which was part of activities by the group to mark the annual World leprosy Day Celebrations, begun at the King square enroute Sapele road to the Secretariat of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Edo state Council.
The theme of the 2018 Celebrations is “zero disabilities in girls and boys”.
Active Citizens who participated in the exercise, vowed to end discrimination against leprosy patients by sustaining the sensitization and awareness campaign.
Addressing newsmen, the 2018 President of Benin Metropolitan, JCI, Nigeria, Amb. Bevy Efe, tasked the state government and authorities concern to urgently to rehabilitate the sorry state of Ogan Leper settlement, Ogan, Orhiomwon Local Government Area of the state.
“We are aware that Media is a critical curbing the scourge and discrimination against leprosy patients, especially in awareness creation.
“A lot of people believe that leprosy patients should be ostracise because it does not have a cure which is not correct.
“Osiomo Leprosorium in Edo state needs the attention of government, Civil society Organization and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO’s) and other philanthropists individuals”, he said.
Comrade Alemma Aliu Ozioruva who received JCI members on behalf of Edo state Chairman of the NUJ, Roland Osakue, said leprosy has skipped past the primary question – how leprosy patients should be handled in a fast-changing world, than many had acknowledged.
He said unlike other parts of the World where lepers are accorded much care, love and empathy, Nigeria, was yet to show convincing evidence in areas of interventions.
Our Correspondent reports that the road walk was seen by commuters and pedestrians as a measure to address poor public perception against leprosy patients by using slogans such as “leprosy is not a death sentence” “Leprosy is curable”.
23 Year Old Mother Stabs hubby to death
EvaluatePR 14th Edition kicks off in September
‘ Mr and Miss Nigeria 2019 will be of global standard’ – CEO, Amb. Brendan Nsikakis
Adedas boss picks three laurels
ALL SET AS LAGOS AWAITS ZENITH BANK’S ASPIRE MUSIC FESTIVAL
Cover Of The Week
- UNMISS visits conflict-ridden Tonj East area to build trust and confidence September 17, 2019
- Second UK-Morocco Strategic Dialogue held in Rabat September 17, 2019
- UAE rescues people affected by floods in Al Jazeerah, Sudan September 17, 2019
- Reynders and De Croo confirm the revitalization of diplomatic relations with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) September 17, 2019
- Vibrant discussions take place around Kenya's African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) strategy September 17, 2019
- Escalation of violence in Birao September 17, 2019
- Democratic Republic of Congo conducts national consultation on the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) September 17, 2019
- “SHORRT” drug-resistant Tuberculosis (TB) treatment on cards September 17, 2019
- Ghana Cocoa Trade Syndication Signing Ceremony September 17, 2019
- Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Meets Secretary General of Madagascar Presidency September 17, 2019
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business6 months ago
News Flash! Ecobank Wins CBN/NIBSS Award For Data Integrity
Politics3 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS