From Elvis Omoregie, Benin City
The peaceful march by the active Citizens, which was part of activities by the group to mark the annual World leprosy Day Celebrations, begun at the King square enroute Sapele road to the Secretariat of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Edo state Council.
The theme of the 2018 Celebrations is “zero disabilities in girls and boys”.
Active Citizens who participated in the exercise, vowed to end discrimination against leprosy patients by sustaining the sensitization and awareness campaign.
Addressing newsmen, the 2018 President of Benin Metropolitan, JCI, Nigeria, Amb. Bevy Efe, tasked the state government and authorities concern to urgently to rehabilitate the sorry state of Ogan Leper settlement, Ogan, Orhiomwon Local Government Area of the state.
“We are aware that Media is a critical curbing the scourge and discrimination against leprosy patients, especially in awareness creation.
“A lot of people believe that leprosy patients should be ostracise because it does not have a cure which is not correct.
“Osiomo Leprosorium in Edo state needs the attention of government, Civil society Organization and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO’s) and other philanthropists individuals”, he said.
Comrade Alemma Aliu Ozioruva who received JCI members on behalf of Edo state Chairman of the NUJ, Roland Osakue, said leprosy has skipped past the primary question – how leprosy patients should be handled in a fast-changing world, than many had acknowledged.
He said unlike other parts of the World where lepers are accorded much care, love and empathy, Nigeria, was yet to show convincing evidence in areas of interventions.
Our Correspondent reports that the road walk was seen by commuters and pedestrians as a measure to address poor public perception against leprosy patients by using slogans such as “leprosy is not a death sentence” “Leprosy is curable”.
Cover Of The Week
- Ghana Rugby Reminds The Rugby Family of its Code of Conduct as it Sanctions Coach January 27, 2020
- Ambassador-Designate of Kingdom of Bahrain to Arab Republic of Egypt presents copy of his credentials to Deputy Assistant Foreign Minister for Protocol in Cairo January 27, 2020
- Ivory Coast selects IGN FI to Modernise its Land Administration System January 27, 2020
- World Council of Churches, Lutheran World Federation issue joint appeal to Nigerian president January 27, 2020
- Assistant Secretary for African Affairs Tibor Nagy concludes successful visit to Ethiopia January 27, 2020
- High Commission of India celebrated 71st Republic Day of India on 26 January 2020 at India House January 27, 2020
- 2020 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) - 80 Years of Exchanges Professional Development Seminars January 27, 2020
- Press Statement on Yellow Fever in Moyo and Buliisa districts in Uganda January 27, 2020
- European Investment Bank and UNICEF partner to help improve access to quality education and protect children from climate change January 27, 2020
- Handover ceremony of Japanese-Funded project “The Project for Improvement for the Educational Environment at Manhanga Primary School in Kariba District” January 27, 2020
Sports6 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria