Connect with us

society

KIDNAPPING: EVANS ‘LL NOT ESCAPE JUSTICE, LAGOS ASSURES

Published

on

Contrary to twisted and fabricated story in some online medium especially PM news on the detail of the press briefing held today by the Lagos state commissioner for justice,  we hereby present the official press release as sent by Lagos state government whose focus was on Evans and never mentioned pro TB Joshua.

Here is the official press release:
“KIDNAPPING: EVANS ‘LL NOT ESCAPE JUSTICE, LAGOS ASSURES

…Resolves N1.352bn Debt Through Free Legal Services In One Year

…Hotel Consumption Regulations Not A New Tax, Says Commissioner

 

The Lagos State Government on Wednesday assured that no effort would be spared in ensuring the logical conclusion of the cases filed in court against kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike popularly known as Evans.

 

Evans, who was arrested at his mansion in Magodo area of Lagos last year, is being prosecuted by the State Government in court alongside others for masterminding and executing series of high profile kidnappings and murder in the State.

 

The State’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Adeniji Kazeem, who said this at the ongoing Ministerial Press Briefing held at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre in Alausa as part of activities marking the third year anniversary of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode’s administration, said the State Government was committed to ensure the logical conclusion of all pending cases in court and serve justice to the people.

 

“On the Evans’ matter, the cases filed against him are ongoing in court. The issue is that the lawyer representing him is trying to play some games to delay the matter but in all his games, we have been defeating him in court.

 

“We have filed different cases. Some are for kidnapping and some bordered on murder and his lawyer is fighting all the cases but what I can assure the people is that we are committed to ensure the matter is concluded and defeat him at the end of the day,” Kazeem said.

 

While reeling out activities of the agencies under the Ministry in the last one year, the Attorney General said the State Government received and treated a total number of 11,451 cases through the Special Task Force Against Land Grabbers, Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team (DSVRT) and the Special Offences (Mobile) Court in the last one year.

 

He said the government also received 316 inquiries through the recently unveiled first state-owned DNA and Forensic Centre with 71 active cases currently ongoing bordering on homicide, rape, toxicology, child trafficking, serology, among others.

 

According to Kazeem, the Anti-Land Grabbers Task Force designed by the present administration to fight the menace of forceful take-over of properties received 1300 petitions out of which 855 were concluded and 530 currently at various stages of resolution.

 

“In the period under review, over 35 arrests of suspected notorious land grabbers were effected while 26 criminal prosecution cases against suspected land grabbers are presently ongoing,” the Attorney General said.

 

Besides, the Attorney General said in a bid to enhance due diligence in property transaction, the State Government introduced the Real Estate Electronic Litigation Database designed for the provision of access to information primarily on properties which are subject of litigation, adding that since its launch, the portal has recorded over 1,000,000 hits and over 10,000 consistent users from Nigeria, United States, United Kingdom, South Africa and others.

 

He recalled that since its inception, the DSVRT had galvanized strategic action and responded appropriately to formal and informal reporting of incidents of rape, defilement, domestic violence, child abuse, neglect and maltreatment in the State through the active support of the Governor and other partners.

 

“The Ministry has noted an increase in report of domestic abuse against men. To date, the DSVRT has received a total number of 131 cases in this regard. Overall, a total number of 1771 cases were reported during the period under review. The team also provided free medical services and psycho-social therapy for over 700 survivors of domestic/sexual violence, conducted capacity building trainings with 220 police officers across the State, and successfully secured the conviction of seven perpetrators,” he said.

 

He added that through the Citizens’ Mediation Centre (CMC), the State Government received a total number of 47,292 new cases free of charge out of which 25,191 were resolved with others at various stages of resolution.

 

“The total value of settlement of debt related matters achieved by the Centre during the period under review from May 2017 to April 2018 as settlement between parties was N1,352,745,391,” the Atoorney General said, among other achievements by the State Government in the justice sector.

 

Speaking on Hotel and Restaurant Consumption (Fiscalization) Regulations 2018, Kazeem clarified that it was neither a new law nor an additional tax, but a regulation aimed at ensuring that government gets due revenue.

 

“It is a regulation and not a new law. It was made pursuant to an existing law that was already in operation. What this regulation essentially seeks to do is to allow the government to put certain equipment in the restaurant and hospitality organizations to properly monitor the revenue that is coming so we can know what exactly is due to the State Government.

 

“It is not an additional tax; it is just to enhance transparency in collection of taxes that are due to the State. So, I want to clarify that carefully,” Kazeem said.

 

On other high profile cases, he said it was gratifying to report that the cases were progressing in court….”

SIGNED

HABIB ARUNA

CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY

APRIL 19, 2018

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

society

Transforming Oshodi-Isolo: Why Otunba Kehinde Oloyede Deserves President Tinubu’s Handshake

Published

on

OSHODI-ISOLO LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMAN, OTUNBA KEHINDE OLOYEDE DESERVES PRESIDENT BOLA AHMED TINUBU’S PRESIDENTIAL HANDSHAKE FOR HIS OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN OFFICE

By Frank Albert Jnr.
The leadership of Otunba Kehinde Oloyede as the Executive Chairman of Oshodi-Isolo Local Government has been marked by exceptional achievements, setting a new standard for local governance. His three and a half years in office have been transformative, addressing critical infrastructural and social needs of the community.
Notable Accomplishments of Otunba Kehinde Oloyede:
Infrastructure Development: Nearly 55 roads have been constructed within three years, significantly improving connectivity within Oshodi-Isolo communities.
Clean Water Access: Over 45 streets have been equipped with water projects, ensuring residents have access to clean and safe drinking water.
Quality Education: An ultra-modern primary school has been built at St. Paul Primary School, Mafoluku, enhancing the educational infrastructure for young learners.
Student Support: The administration has provided free school rides, uniforms, bags, and books, making education more accessible and convenient for students.
Healthcare: Construction of a well-equipped primary healthcare center is ongoing, aimed at improving healthcare services for residents.
Youth Empowerment & Development: Several skill acquisition and employability training programs have been initiated in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), creating opportunities for young people.
Community Support: Three comprehensive palliative programs have benefited over 30,000 households, providing relief to vulnerable residents.
Party Welfare: Monthly stipends are provided for party executives, demonstrating a commitment to party welfare and leadership.
Otunba Kehinde Oloyede, popularly known as Kendoo, has consistently demonstrated a leadership style grounded in progress, accountability, and a deep sense of responsibility towards the people of Oshodi-Isolo. His administration has successfully rekindled faith and hope in local government administration, proving that with the right leadership, grassroots governance can be impactful and transformative.
Given his remarkable performance, it is imperative that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recognizes and encourages such excellence by establishing a yearly federal evaluation initiative for local government chairmen. This initiative would serve as an incentive for local government administrators across Nigeria to improve their performance and ensure better service delivery to the citizens.
Otunba Kehinde Oloyede is undoubtedly one of the best-performing local government chairmen in Nigeria, and his dedication to public service deserves national recognition, including a presidential handshake from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Transforming Oshodi-Isolo: Why Otunba Kehinde Oloyede Deserves President Tinubu’s Handshake

Continue Reading

society

Adetola Tolani Ganiu, a prominent Lagos big boy, marks another year of life in style

Published

on

Adetola Tolani Ganiu, a prominent Lagos big boy, marks another year of life in style

~By Oluwaseun Fabiyi

Who is Adetola Tolani Gani?

I remember when our paths crossed in Lagos years ago; Tolani was extremely hospitable, a visionary young man, and a distinguished brother from another parent

Oluwaseun Fabiyi, a seasoned Lagos-based journalist and BethNews Media international magazine publisher, celebrates the birthday of a beloved brother, who is easy-going, resourceful, God-fearing, handsome, and dedicated to his profession

Rising publisher Oluwaseun Fabiyi has extolled the virtues of Adetola Tolani Ganiu, who is indefatigable, on his birthday on Tuesday, 2nd April 2025

Your continued support since our initial engagement has been a seamless fusion of trust and cooperation, augmenting our assurance and goals. May this special day be filled with profound delight

As a trailblazer of excellence, your life serves as a powerful inspiration to the youth of our generation, akin to a beacon atop a hill, guiding and illuminating the path to success. Your exceptional leadership skills, showcased in various capacities both internationally and within Nigeria, epitomize perseverance, innovation, and an unwavering commitment to exponential growth

Your compelling stories of resilience and determination, where you skillfully turned challenges into opportunities and brought your vision to life, have enhanced our collective experiences, and we are forever grateful for the privilege of honoring your achievements

As we acknowledge your prudence and the divine guidance in your life, may your future days be filled with accomplishment and promptness

As a globally esteemed architect, your humility and brilliance enhance your impressive accomplishments. May this birthday bring even greater achievements, with each step guided by divine wisdom. May your heart be filled with peace and brilliance in every detail as you observe this occasion

Wishing you many happy returns

Continue Reading

society

ERA Applauds Tinubu Over Mele Kyari’s Sack, Calls for Probe Into Fake Refinery Projects

Published

on

*ERA Applauds Tinubu Over Mele Kyari’s Sack, Calls for Probe Into Fake Refinery Projects

 

The Energy Reforms Advocates (ERA) have praised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his decision to remove Mele Kyari as the Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited.

In a statement on Wednesday, Abdulkadri Isah, president of ERA, described the move as a courageous step toward reforming Nigeria’s oil sector and tackling entrenched corruption.

He said Kyari’s removal would allow a full investigation into alleged fraudulent refinery projects under former President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.

“The dismissal of Mele Kyari signals a new dawn in our nation’s commitment to eradicating corruption in the oil and gas sector. We commend President Tinubu for demonstrating the political will to confront these challenges head-on,” Isah said.

He urged the newly appointed leadership of the NNPC to prioritise an audit of past projects and ensure accountability in the sector.

“The probe into fake refinery projects must be swift and thorough. Nigerians deserve to know how billions of dollars were allocated to non-existent or uncompleted projects while the country continued to rely on fuel imports,” he stated.

ERA called on relevant anti-corruption agencies to support the process, warning that failure to expose past mismanagement would hinder any meaningful reform.

“This investigation should not end with a change in leadership. There must be consequences for those who mismanaged funds and deceived Nigerians. The government must set a precedent that corruption will no longer be tolerated,” Isah added.

The group also expressed optimism that under fresh leadership, the NNPC could regain public trust and reposition itself as a driver of economic growth.

“With competent leadership, the NNPC can finally fulfill its mandate. We expect reforms that will boost local refining capacity, attract investment, and ultimately reduce Nigeria’s dependence on imported petroleum products,” the statement read.

Kyari’s removal was part of a broader shake-up of NNPC’s board, with former Shell executive Bashir Bayo Ojulari appointed as the new GCEO and Ahmadu Musa Kida as non-executive chairman.

The restructuring aligns with the government’s vision of revitalising the oil sector and increasing Nigeria’s crude oil production and refining capacity.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending