…State’ll Continue To Celebrate MKO Abiola, Entrench Ideals Of Democracy- Ambode
The Lagos State Government on Saturday declared June 12, 2018 as public holiday to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the annulled 1993 Presidential elections adjudged to be have won by the late Moshood Kashimawo Olawale (MKO)Abiola.
The State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode in a statement signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr. Tunji Bello said the significance of June 12, 1993 elections, adjudged as the freest and fairest in the history of Nigeria, would always be a reference point in the State’s quest to entrench true democracy in service to the people.
Commending President Buhari’s recent declaration of June as the new Democracy Day, the Governor said the singular act would forever ensure that Chief MKO Abiola and other martyrs of democracy who laid down their lives in the struggle to entrench good governance did not do so vain.
“On behalf of all Lagosians, we want to commend and applaud Mr President, Muhammadu Buhari for deeming it fit finally against all odds from all other past presidents that 25 years after, we are able to now celebrate our own Democracy Day and also declare that the real winner of 1993 June 12 Presidential election was actually our own MKO Abiola.
“No matter how long you try to hide history, history will always reveal itself with a true platform. So, we know that is one very important singular step as we go forward to build an enduring democracy. And for all democrats in this country, we are excited that we are moving in the right direction.
“It also affirms that Nigeria can get it right if we begin to put things in the right perspective and work for the general good of the greater number of people. That is the true essence of democracy.
“For us in Lagos, June 12 is not just a day to remember, it is a rallying point for those of us in service that we must continuously strive to entrench true democracy and good governance which is what Chief MKO Abiola totally exemplified,” Governor Ambode said.
Cover Of The Week
- [Media Alert] Jack Ma Foundation and Alibaba Foundation Host 11th Global MediXchange for Combating COVID-19 (GMCC) Webinar in Africa in Collaboration with the United Nations May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Libya: COVID-19 Situation Report (27th May 2020) May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: COVID-19 hygiene measures must be enforced in schools set to reopen in West and Central Africa, says Save the Children May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Southern and Eastern Africa COVID-19 Digest (27 May 2020) May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Global Education Coalition facilitates free internet access for distance education in several countries May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: Notification Note on COVID-19 Situational Update - 27 May 2020 May 27, 2020
- The African Union Development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD) and Ecobank Group announce the key focus areas of their joint initiative to support Africa’s Micro Small and Medium Enterprises May 27, 2020
- Egypt: African Development Bank approves emergency relief aid to tackle food insecurity for vulnerable workers whose livelihoods are impacted by COVID-19 May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases As of 27 May 2020, 9am EAT May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: 123 people have tested positive of COVID-19 May 27, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news2 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Fashion/Lifestyle6 months ago
Face Of Universe Nigeria Beauty pageant maiden edition Registration kicks off January 20th
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
ECOWAS Youth Council Decorates Seyi Tinubu as an Ambassador…Honour Him with Nelson Mandela Leadership Award