The Chairman of Civil Liberty Organizations in Bayelsa State and frontline Niger Delta activist, High Chief James Nengi has said most of the government projects executed in the state have little or low impact on the welfare of residents in the state.
The popular activist and community leader who spoke to journalists on Tuesday in Yenagoa during the Nigerian Guild of Investigative Journalists (NGIJ) governance assessment tour of the state said the administration has developed some infrastructure but with very little impact on the people.
Nengi described initiatives of government as mere window dressing and make-belief projects. He noted that despite the execution of some infrastructural projects in the state owned universities and elementary schools across the state there is little improvement in the standard of education recently.
”Some of the projects you see is make belief, it has no meaningful impact on the people. Building new school blocks without quality teaching, learning facilities and manpower would not give the people of Bayelsa state the desired change. Another case was the establishment of Bayelsa Medical School, Yenagoa where majority of people at the public hearing opposed it citing lack of funds and poor infrastructures in existing state owned universities.” he added
Commenting on different sectors, he revealed that the NDDC has abandoned approximately 500 projects in Bayelsa, adding that 25 per cent of Bayelsa communities have no access to electricity and the areas with electricity are those being supplied by International oil companies. This was not the case before the current administration came in. We were not even paying then, now despite payment, the supply is poor.
On health, he revealed that the government established Bayelsa Diagnosis Centre but with no modern facilities in hospitals. Therefore, patients still have to travel outside the state for treatment after been diagnosed of some ailments at Diagnosis centre.
Meanwhile, Hon Chief Victor Sam-Ateki, PDP Deputy Chairman said Governor Seriake Dickson has constructed modern schools across the State, especially in the rural areas to encourage more people to embrace education.
”Governor Seriake Dickson has prioritised education in primary, secondary and tertiary institutions by providing them with state of art facilities. The governor raised the bar in education sector, now the state can compete favourably with other state during National examinations like WAEC, NECO and others. He has changed the narratives for good.” Chief Sam-Ateki added.
However, efforts to speak with Bayelsa State government officials proved abortive, as several calls to commissioner for information, and the Governors Media aides were not picked.
23 Year Old Mother Stabs hubby to death
EvaluatePR 14th Edition kicks off in September
‘ Mr and Miss Nigeria 2019 will be of global standard’ – CEO, Amb. Brendan Nsikakis
Adedas boss picks three laurels
ALL SET AS LAGOS AWAITS ZENITH BANK’S ASPIRE MUSIC FESTIVAL
Cover Of The Week
- UNMISS visits conflict-ridden Tonj East area to build trust and confidence September 17, 2019
- Second UK-Morocco Strategic Dialogue held in Rabat September 17, 2019
- UAE rescues people affected by floods in Al Jazeerah, Sudan September 17, 2019
- Reynders and De Croo confirm the revitalization of diplomatic relations with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) September 17, 2019
- Vibrant discussions take place around Kenya's African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) strategy September 17, 2019
- Escalation of violence in Birao September 17, 2019
- Democratic Republic of Congo conducts national consultation on the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) September 17, 2019
- “SHORRT” drug-resistant Tuberculosis (TB) treatment on cards September 17, 2019
- Ghana Cocoa Trade Syndication Signing Ceremony September 17, 2019
- Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Meets Secretary General of Madagascar Presidency September 17, 2019
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business6 months ago
News Flash! Ecobank Wins CBN/NIBSS Award For Data Integrity
Politics3 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS