A 45-year-old carpenter, Waheed Tiamiyu, told an Igando Customary Court on Thursday that his wife has attempted suicide on four separate occasions.
He said, “My wife is always threatening to kill herself; she has attempted suicide on four occasions.’’
He added that his wife, Bukola, with whom he had three children, in their 13 years of marriage was in the habit of threatening to kill herself.
“She once threatened to jump down from our balcony. I dragged her back and started begging her.
“The second time was when she wanted to drink kerosene; the third was when she came to my room with a belt tied around her neck, she climbed a chair and wanted to tie the belt to the ceiling fan.
“The fourth was when she wanted to fall into a well. I wonder what would have happened if I had not intervened by begging her not to kill herself on each of these four instances,’’ Tiamiyu said.
The petitioner also accused his wife of infidelity.
“There is a particular man that always called my wife. He can call 20 times a day. I secretly saved the number from my wife’s phone without her knowledge.
“Whenever I asked my wife who the guy was, she always told me that the guy was her sister’s boyfriend. I called her sister and she denied knowing the man or the phone number.”
“I later investigated and I discovered that her lover is a powerful person. Please, dissolve this marriage. I am not ready to die now,’’ he told the court.
According to him, his wife does not care for him, to the extent that she cooked his food in different pots and gave him bad food, while she eats good food.
“My wife cooks my food and her own food separately. She will put assorted meat in her pot of soup and cook a shoddy soup for me.
“She also refused to wash my clothes. Anytime I gave her my clothes to wash, she always told me to give them to my first wife to wash,’’ he said.
Tiamiyu said that his wife fought incessantly, claiming she would fight over unimportant issues.
In her reaction, Bukola said that she only attempted suicide twice.
“I attempted suicide because my husband wanted to send me packing and I didn’t want to leave my children because I love them,’’ she said.
The mother of four said she used to give her husband good food whenever he gave her good money for food.
She said that she was not dating the man, as her husband claimed, but that he was only a friend.
Bukola, however, consented to the dissolution of the marriage, saying she too was no longer interested in it.
The president of the court, Mr. Adegboyega Omilola, ordered the couple to come along with three family members each, for alternative dispute resolution
Omilola adjourned the case until June 28 for continuation of hearing.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: COVID-19 update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Video News Release: Rugby Africa Sevens Solidarity Camp: All the matches will be livestreamed Saturday on Rugby Afrique Facebook page and Rugby Africa's YouTube channel - Day 4 May 15, 2021
- CORRECTION: New Hapag-Lloyd East Africa service arriving in Kenya and Tanzania May 14, 2021
- Day 3 - B-roll: African rugby teams are coming together to prepare for the Olympic Games and Olympic Repechage - Day 3 May 14, 2021
- Basketball Africa League Unveils Team Rosters Ahead of Inaugural Season May 14, 2021
- UN condemns killing of aid worker in South Sudan May 14, 2021
- Egypt receives second shipment of 1.77 million COVID-19 vaccines through the COVAX Facility May 14, 2021
- New Hapag-Lloyd East Africa service arriving in Kenya and Tanzania May 14, 2021
- Siemens, the German Government and the Solidarity Fund hand over a 100-bed modular hospital solution May 14, 2021
- Pozzovivo forced to withdraw from Giro d'Italia following stage 6 crash May 14, 2021
Politics6 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion5 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips4 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Politics6 months ago
Will Primate Ayodele’s Warning To Joe Biden On US Election Come To Pass?