A 45-year-old carpenter, Waheed Tiamiyu, told an Igando Customary Court on Thursday that his wife has attempted suicide on four separate occasions.
He said, “My wife is always threatening to kill herself; she has attempted suicide on four occasions.’’
He added that his wife, Bukola, with whom he had three children, in their 13 years of marriage was in the habit of threatening to kill herself.
“She once threatened to jump down from our balcony. I dragged her back and started begging her.
“The second time was when she wanted to drink kerosene; the third was when she came to my room with a belt tied around her neck, she climbed a chair and wanted to tie the belt to the ceiling fan.
“The fourth was when she wanted to fall into a well. I wonder what would have happened if I had not intervened by begging her not to kill herself on each of these four instances,’’ Tiamiyu said.
The petitioner also accused his wife of infidelity.
“There is a particular man that always called my wife. He can call 20 times a day. I secretly saved the number from my wife’s phone without her knowledge.
“Whenever I asked my wife who the guy was, she always told me that the guy was her sister’s boyfriend. I called her sister and she denied knowing the man or the phone number.”
“I later investigated and I discovered that her lover is a powerful person. Please, dissolve this marriage. I am not ready to die now,’’ he told the court.
According to him, his wife does not care for him, to the extent that she cooked his food in different pots and gave him bad food, while she eats good food.
“My wife cooks my food and her own food separately. She will put assorted meat in her pot of soup and cook a shoddy soup for me.
“She also refused to wash my clothes. Anytime I gave her my clothes to wash, she always told me to give them to my first wife to wash,’’ he said.
Tiamiyu said that his wife fought incessantly, claiming she would fight over unimportant issues.
In her reaction, Bukola said that she only attempted suicide twice.
“I attempted suicide because my husband wanted to send me packing and I didn’t want to leave my children because I love them,’’ she said.
The mother of four said she used to give her husband good food whenever he gave her good money for food.
She said that she was not dating the man, as her husband claimed, but that he was only a friend.
Bukola, however, consented to the dissolution of the marriage, saying she too was no longer interested in it.
The president of the court, Mr. Adegboyega Omilola, ordered the couple to come along with three family members each, for alternative dispute resolution
Omilola adjourned the case until June 28 for continuation of hearing.
NGIJ Commences Governance Assessment Tour In Ondo State
The Nigerian Guild of Investigative Journalists (NGIJ) will on Monday commence Governance Assessment Tour in Ondo State to assess impact of Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu administration on the people.
A statement issued on Saturday by the Guild Public Relations Officer, Adeyemi Obadimu said NGIJ delegation would arrive Akure, the Ondo State Capital on Monday to commence the Governance Assessment.
Obadimu noted that the Governance Assessment aimed at rooting for the truth, getting firsthand information from different stakeholders and assessing impact of current administration in Ondo State.
”Our members from every part of the country will on Monday converge in Akure, Ondo State Capital for commencement of Governance Assessment Tour to assess Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu administration impact on the people.
”Our crew will engage critical stakeholders including traditional rulers, civil servants, labour unions, pensioners, top government officials, students, market men/women and others in order to get firsthand information about the current administration led by Governor Akeredolu.”
Obadimu disclosed that the guild has carried our similar assessment in Kogi and Bayelsa states, saying ‘this is part of our contributions to deepen Democratic rule in Nigeria’.
Heritage bank partners with Multi choice to flag off BBN third edition
How civil defence corps became a millionaire overnight with Skye bank Promo
Cover Of The Week
- Senegal: African Development Bank loans over EUR 74 million to strengthen internal resource mobilization and support industrial activities December 1, 2023
- The Developed World’s Broken Promises: How Can Africa Finance the Energy Transition? (By NJ Ayuk) December 1, 2023
- Uganda: African Development Bank to lend more than $252 million to improve rural transport and facilitate regional integration December 1, 2023
- Tanzania: Bank operations produce results beyond expectations, according to the Tanzania Country Strategy Paper 2021-2025 mid-term review December 1, 2023
- South Africa Visa Application Centre moves to a more spacious and easily accessible location in the Democratic Republic of the Congo December 1, 2023
- Strengthening the fight against HIV in Ghana December 1, 2023
- Tanzania launches the national strategic plan to integrate health sector HIV, viral hepatitis and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) elimination December 1, 2023
- Morocco: Her Royal Highness Princess Lalla Hasnaa Represents His Majesty the King at World Climate Action Summit in Dubai December 1, 2023
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) leaders congratulate Central African President on Republic Day December 1, 2023
- Senegalese foreign minister receives visiting Iranian deputy Foreign Minister December 1, 2023
celebrity radar - gossips4 months ago
$87m Theft: Abayomi Remanded As Court Adjourn Till October
Business1 month ago
Leading Financial Platform, AAS Bounces Back Stronger, Better With Global Coin
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Kebbi Tribunal: Principal Under Fire To Produce Attestation For Deputy Governor-Elect —Investigation
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
For Stating The Fact, School Principal Suspended Over Kebbi Deputy Governor’s Alleged Forged Certificates Issue