Nigerian Welders Association an affiliate of United Labour Congress ( NWA) Zone H Benin, and the Association of Filters Senior Staffs of Nigeria (FISSAN), yesterday, protested the marginalization meted on them by the Oilserv Company Ltd domiciled in Oben in Orhionmwon Local Government Area of Edo State.
The protest which lasted for several hours, led to the barricading of the main entrance leading to the company with heavy trucks and other items while chanting war songs and bearing placards with different inscriptions.
It took the intervention of the Nigeria Army to bring the situation under control that was almost degenerating into a free-for- all.
Addressing newsmen during the protest at the community, the chairman, NWA, Mr. Idemudia Osagiaro, said they decided to resort to protest due to the violation of the agreement reached with the company and the continuous marginalization of their profession by the said company.
Osagiaro said the non inclusion of their services by the firm whenever the need arises negated the policies and programs of the present administration of the federal government of Nigeria to encourage indigenous and local content service.
“We are professionals and also from this community every job they do here is our profession. We wonder why they will bring people from other states to do our jobs”.
“This is not the first time a company will be building a gas plant in our community.
“Oben is the community that produces the highest quantity of gas in the country.
“SEPLAT build a gas plant here and engaged our services with good agreement.
“We wonder why Oilserv will abandon us and go and bring people from other states to do the job we do as professionals”, he said.
The chairman said series of letters have been written to the firm by the association to have a change of attitude but all was to non avail.
Some of the letters read thus “we the above name, Nigerian Welders Association Benin Zone are using this medium to inform your management that any fabricated pipe, pipe support, pipe racks, off skid support, pipe shoes or anything related to our profession, which are fabricated in or outside the state or country without involving the Host Community (Oben) workers, and Edo state zonal office of Nigeria Welders Association of Nigeria (NWA), will not be allowed to enter or installed in Oben Community Orhionmwon local government area of Edo state”,
Also speaking, chairman, Filters Senior Staffs of Nigeria (FISSAN), Mr. Omoregie Sylvester, Orhionmwon Central Unit, however used the medium to appeal to federal government, state, local and the palace of the Oba of Benin to come to their rescue as they promised to used soldiers to brutalise them.
Meanwhile all efforts to reached the management of Oilserv company were unsuccessful as they insist journalists should come to Port-hacourt for their comments.
GOD’S OWN POWER AND GLORY MINISTRIES HOLDS REVIVAL
Mouka Ups Game for Sustainable Market Control, Earns NSP’s Endorsement
CLMI has the capacity to produce 3million jobs annually ,….stakeholders
FIRSTBANK PARTNERS WITH CFA SOCIETY NIGERIA TO HOST 2019 ETHICS CHALLENGE COMPETITION
Journalist Recounts Ordeal in the Hands of Lagos Task Force
Cover Of The Week
- Ethiopia celebrated at World Travel Market November 15, 2019
- Democratic Republic of Congo and IMF Mission Reach an Agreement ad-referendum on Financial Assistance Under the Rapid Credit Facility and a Staff-Monitored Program November 15, 2019
- Foreign Minister Shahid pays a courtesy call on the Prime Minister of Morocco November 15, 2019
- Undersecretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs for International Affairs meets in Washington with Deputy National Security Advisor for MENA at WHNSC November 15, 2019
- Emergency Response Project for Displaced Communities in Niger Concludes Amid Deteriorating Security Situation November 15, 2019
- Visit of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission to WHO November 15, 2019
- Minister Shahid meets with the Minister of Endowment and Islamic Affairs of Morocco November 15, 2019
- Nigeria Immigration Service, International Organization for Migration (IOM) Launch Border Management Information System at Largest Airport to Date November 15, 2019
- German Government support for the development of Namibia’s parks: Inauguration ceremony of Tsau Khaeb (Sperrgebiet) National Park infrastructure, Kharas Region November 15, 2019
- Venture Capital for Africa (VC4A) Launches First Dedicated Online Training Program for Africa’s Business Angels: ‘Mentor-Driven Capital’ November 15, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today