The government of Ogun State is set to take over three strategic federal roads to bolster activities in its main industrial hubs.
The State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun said he had formally sought permission of the federal government to dualised three major Federal roads linking the state and Lagos under the public, private sector partnership arrangement.
The roads are, Ikorodu – Ogijo – Shagamu road, Epe – Ijebu – Ode road and Lagos – Ota – Abeokua road.
The governor said the takeover became necessary because of the economic importance of the roads.
He made these disclosures while interfacing with the World Bank team headed by its country director, Rachid Benmessaoud in Abuja on Wednesday.
Governor Abiodun in a statement by Kunle Somorin, his Chief Press Secretary, said he was at the World Bank to share his vision of collective prosperity for Ogun people and bring on board global best practices on the ease of doing business from the World Bank.
He underscored the importance of development partnership to actualise his “building our future together” agenda and the centrality of public private sector partnerships.
“The Lagos – Abeokuta road is a sorry sight when it rains and our people need to commute to and from Lagos everyday because we are to Lagos what New Jersey is to New York.
“People who commute through Iyana Ilogbo will tell you of the nightmare they encounter everyday because of potholes which cause endless gridlock. This is a road that has been under construction for a long time and still needs about N26bn before completion.
“Only N1bn was in this year’s federal budget for that same road. So, as a responsible government, which is closer to the people, we have to do something”, Gov Abiodun said.
He stated further that the Epe – Ijebu Ode road requires similar intervention, just as the Ikorodu-Shagamu corridor.
“Lagos has completed it’s own end of the Epe-Ijebu Ode road. What we need to make it a total package is about 14.4km. So, we are taking it over because the welfare of our people matters. It will become an alternative route for motorists going to the Eastern part of the country”, the Governor added.
Cover Of The Week
- Zimbabwe ready to host & showcase itself at sustainable development forum: Minister January 21, 2020
- Declaration by the High Representative Josep Borrell on behalf of the EU on South Sudan January 21, 2020
- Du Plessis, Davids to add speed to Blitzboks team January 21, 2020
- Keynote Speech delivered by Dr. Akinwumi A. Adesina at the UK-Africa Investment Summit, “Sustainable Infrastructure Forum” January 21, 2020
- Accelerating innovation to attain Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030 January 21, 2020
- Chinese Ambassador to Kenya Wu Peng attended Chinese New Year Gala January 21, 2020
- 71st Republic Day of India January 21, 2020
- Health should not be a privilege for the rich—the right to health belongs to everyone January 21, 2020
- Kobs Shine as Warriors Register First League Loss January 21, 2020
- Supply of healthcare kits by the Italian Cooperation in Niger January 21, 2020
Sports6 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria