The government of Ogun State is set to take over three strategic federal roads to bolster activities in its main industrial hubs.
The State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun said he had formally sought permission of the federal government to dualised three major Federal roads linking the state and Lagos under the public, private sector partnership arrangement.
The roads are, Ikorodu – Ogijo – Shagamu road, Epe – Ijebu – Ode road and Lagos – Ota – Abeokua road.
The governor said the takeover became necessary because of the economic importance of the roads.
He made these disclosures while interfacing with the World Bank team headed by its country director, Rachid Benmessaoud in Abuja on Wednesday.
Governor Abiodun in a statement by Kunle Somorin, his Chief Press Secretary, said he was at the World Bank to share his vision of collective prosperity for Ogun people and bring on board global best practices on the ease of doing business from the World Bank.
He underscored the importance of development partnership to actualise his “building our future together” agenda and the centrality of public private sector partnerships.
“The Lagos – Abeokuta road is a sorry sight when it rains and our people need to commute to and from Lagos everyday because we are to Lagos what New Jersey is to New York.
“People who commute through Iyana Ilogbo will tell you of the nightmare they encounter everyday because of potholes which cause endless gridlock. This is a road that has been under construction for a long time and still needs about N26bn before completion.
“Only N1bn was in this year’s federal budget for that same road. So, as a responsible government, which is closer to the people, we have to do something”, Gov Abiodun said.
He stated further that the Epe – Ijebu Ode road requires similar intervention, just as the Ikorodu-Shagamu corridor.
“Lagos has completed it’s own end of the Epe-Ijebu Ode road. What we need to make it a total package is about 14.4km. So, we are taking it over because the welfare of our people matters. It will become an alternative route for motorists going to the Eastern part of the country”, the Governor added.
Sagamites Club Announce Business Support Initiative
Regina Daniels hubby, Prince Ned Nwoko Splashes Millions on 50 Entrepreneurs
IMF supports the Closure of the Nigerian border- Minister of Finance
Nigeria Wont Progress Until They Apologize To Igbo’s”- Femi Fani Kayode
Peace Airline Boss, Allen Onyema Honors As Lagos Ikeja City Award’s MAN OF PEACE
Cover Of The Week
- Massey Ferguson lends support to South Africa’s emerging farmers October 22, 2019
- Telecoming will attend AfricaCom 2019 to present the new digital entertainment offer October 22, 2019
- Health clinic gets a new roof in rural Mozambique October 21, 2019
- Egyptian Ambassador calls on Deputy Foreign Minister October 21, 2019
- UN Deputy Secretary-General's remarks at launch of the Ethiopian Chapter of the African Women Leaders Network October 21, 2019
- 9th Meeting of the Steering Committee of the United Nations Integrated Strategy for the Sahel (UNISS) October 21, 2019
- Airtel Africa announces partnership with Ecobank Group to allow Airtel Money customers to improve their access to mobile financial services October 21, 2019
- Report: National Situation Analysis of Children and Women in Ethiopia October 21, 2019
- South Sudan: Troika Statement, October 2019 October 21, 2019
- KnowBe4 Africa goes continental with Cyber Security Africa October 21, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Crime6 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Interviews4 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin