Pandemonium ensued on Thursday in the Oke Kura Prison, Ilorin, Kwara State, after six inmates were reportedly beaten to death by warders.
Saturday PUNCH exclusively gathered from a top prison source that 11 other inmates were seriously injured during the fracas which occurred around 2pm.
It was learnt that the inmates, who were in the condemned inmates’ cell, had protested the substandard quality of food they were served.
They reportedly demanded to see the controller of the prison to address their grievances.
The source said the prison authorities shunned the inmates and refused to heed their call.
He said, “The demand for improvement in food quality and quantity had been on for the past two months, but nothing was done.
“On Thursday, the inmates decided to protest. That was how the warders went and got the arms squad. They entered into the prison and unleashed terror on the inmates, who were in the condemned cell.
“Five of them died there and one of the 12 casualties died at the hospital. The incident has caused tension in the prison as I speak with you.”
It was learnt that the 11 other casualties were on “danger list” at the hospital where they were receiving treatment.
Our source identified the deceased to include one Alhaji Fasisi, Alhaji Yusuf, and Jeunlo.
“There is a grand plan to cover up the incident in the prison,” he added.
The spokesperson for the Nigeria Prison Service, Francis Enobore, could not be reached on his phone.
He had yet to respond to a text message sent to his line as of the time of filing this report.
However, the Public Relations Officer of the Ilorin Prison who identified himself simply as Philip, denied the incident.
He said, “How is it possible for warders to beat inmates to death? It is not true and no such thing happened. If you’re in doubt, come down to Ilorin, I will personally lead you to Oke Kura to see things for yourself.”
Cover Of The Week
- Crisis in childhood HIV treatment in western and central Africa February 17, 2020
- Basketball Africa League (BAL): Transcripts of All Star 2020 Game Players (Sunday February 16, 2020) February 17, 2020
- Challenger Series Review February 17, 2020
- Mission of the Czech Defense and Security Industry to Djibouti and Ethiopia February 17, 2020
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed receives Ethiopian PM February 17, 2020
- Empowering Health Workers on Child Growth Assessment February 17, 2020
- In a meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister, Edgars Rinkēvičs discusses Latvian-Egyptian cooperation and developments in Libya February 17, 2020
- Africa Energy Forum 2020 to address Sustainable Development Goal on Energy (SDG7) and Impact of Energy Investment February 17, 2020
- UNMISS urges parties to form transitional government February 17, 2020
- SA Rugby to host U18 Elite Player Development camp February 17, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK CELEBRATES D’TIGRESS ON BACK-TO-BACK AFROBASKET CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK HAILS D’TIGRESS ON QUARTERFINAL QUALIFICATION
Sports5 months ago
Winners emerge in the 2019 Nigerian and African Freestyle Football Championship