Pandemonium ensued on Thursday in the Oke Kura Prison, Ilorin, Kwara State, after six inmates were reportedly beaten to death by warders.
Saturday PUNCH exclusively gathered from a top prison source that 11 other inmates were seriously injured during the fracas which occurred around 2pm.
It was learnt that the inmates, who were in the condemned inmates’ cell, had protested the substandard quality of food they were served.
They reportedly demanded to see the controller of the prison to address their grievances.
The source said the prison authorities shunned the inmates and refused to heed their call.
He said, “The demand for improvement in food quality and quantity had been on for the past two months, but nothing was done.
“On Thursday, the inmates decided to protest. That was how the warders went and got the arms squad. They entered into the prison and unleashed terror on the inmates, who were in the condemned cell.
“Five of them died there and one of the 12 casualties died at the hospital. The incident has caused tension in the prison as I speak with you.”
It was learnt that the 11 other casualties were on “danger list” at the hospital where they were receiving treatment.
Our source identified the deceased to include one Alhaji Fasisi, Alhaji Yusuf, and Jeunlo.
“There is a grand plan to cover up the incident in the prison,” he added.
The spokesperson for the Nigeria Prison Service, Francis Enobore, could not be reached on his phone.
He had yet to respond to a text message sent to his line as of the time of filing this report.
However, the Public Relations Officer of the Ilorin Prison who identified himself simply as Philip, denied the incident.
He said, “How is it possible for warders to beat inmates to death? It is not true and no such thing happened. If you’re in doubt, come down to Ilorin, I will personally lead you to Oke Kura to see things for yourself.”
FINALLY! ABIODUN SIGNS OGUN INVESTMENT PROMOTION AGENCY, 3 OTHER BILLS INTO LAW
ABIODUN SIGNS OGUN INVESTMENT PROMOTION AGENCY, 3 OTHER BILLS INTO LAW
Edo Police Command Parades 144 Suspects
Rep Member Hold Essay Competition For Constituent
Wellness HMO Again Adopts Three Women for ‘Wellness for Life’
Cover Of The Week
- Big Improvement of International Airport in Malawi by Japan’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) September 20, 2019
- UN Human Rights Council 42: Statement for the Universal Periodic Review on Ethiopia September 20, 2019
- Successful Digital Women Entrepreneurs at UN Assembly September 20, 2019
- As drought compounds security woes, Somalis flee to Ethiopia (By Katie Nguyen) September 20, 2019
- Africa and Europe share Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) experiences September 20, 2019
- Levente Magyar holds talks on Hungary-related business issues in Egypt September 20, 2019
- New ambassadors from Ireland, Namibia and Malaysia September 20, 2019
- Libya: humanitarian operation brings to Italy four Libyan paediatric patients September 20, 2019
- New International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Collection Reveals Latest Migratory Trends in Mauritania September 20, 2019
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Deplores Death of Migrant, Killed Thursday upon Disembarkation in Tripoli September 20, 2019
Business5 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Business6 months ago
News Flash! Ecobank Wins CBN/NIBSS Award For Data Integrity
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Politics4 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS