Yakubu Adesokan is one of Nigeria’s most prominent para power-lifters, having broken several world records in his weight division and won gold medals in both the Olympics and Commonwealth Games.
In an interview with the Saturday Telegraph, Adesokan called out the lack of support provided for para-athletes within Nigeria fromthose in positions of prominence, encouraging them to emulate the likes of Prophet T.B. Joshua.
“I would like to see the country do more for us disabled people and I mean every disabled person,” Adesokan, one of Nigeria’s six gold medallists at the London 2012 Paralympic Games, stressed.
“We should enjoy social benefits like other disabled in advanced countries. I believe the government can do it because Nigeria is a very rich country; it’s just a question of government commitment,” he continued.
“Even beyond government, rich people are not showing enough passion for disabled sportsmen.The likes of Aliko Dangote, Femi Otedola among other billionaires have not really identified with us and it’s rather unfortunate,” he explained.
“Same with other multinational companies who would rather identify with footballers whenever they win a competition for Nigeria but in our own case, they don’t even show any concern,” he continued, adding that even though most European-based footballers “might not be moved” with such support, it would be “life-changing” for para-athletes.
Adesokan then recalled one of his “happiest moments in terms of being appreciated as a sportsman”as the time Prophet T.B. Joshua of The SCOAN hosted Nigeria’s Para-athletes after the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India.
“He gave gold medallists N1 million and those of us that won three gold medals each got a car in addition. Silver medallists got N500,000 and bronze medallists got N300,000. Even fellow disabled that accompanied us got N50,000 each,” he fondly recalled.
“Prominent and wealthy Nigerians can emulate him,” he emphasised.
Concluding his remarks, Adesokan stated he is in earnest preparation for Tokyo’s Paralympic Games in 2020, reiterating his call for further support for his fellow athletes.
“We have consistently shone for Nigeria at various international championships and it would be logical if we get the same kind of attention like the able bodied athletes,” he affirmed.
SOURCE: Saturday Telegraph – https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/02/not-placing-priority-on-money-helped-me-to-succeed-adesokan/
Billionaire Ned Nwoko Picks Award
COURT OF APPEAL VALIDATES DAPO ABIODUN’S VICTORY
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Nigeria Prolific Actor, Film-Maker, TV Host Uzee Usman Marks Birthday Today (Photos)
In Niger: Government of Canada Demonstrates It’s Commitment To The Fight Against Polio And Strengthening Routine Immunizations
THE CHILDREN OF USMAN DAN FODIO AND THE MANIFESTATION OF THE FULANI EMPIRE
Cover Of The Week
- Craft, Create, Curate; Personalise and print from hundreds of designs with the Canon Creative Park app November 11, 2019
- 2019 African Investment Forum builds on 2018 successes, attracts growing international interest November 11, 2019
- Remembrance Day luncheon remembers service and sacrifice of Veterans in Ghana November 11, 2019
- 2019 Africa Visa Openness Index: African Union Commission, African Development Bank report shows wins in visa restrictions across Africa November 11, 2019
- Kolisi thanks South Africa for “unbelievable support” on Trophy Tour November 11, 2019
- GE Healthcare Launches Versana Premier and Versana Essential Ultrasound Machines to Drive Access to Affordable and Quality Healthcare in Uganda November 11, 2019
- United Nations officials welcome the signing of an Action Plan to fight sexual violence by the Congolese National Police November 11, 2019
- Black Stallions finished 8th as Kenya qualifies for Japan 2020 Olympics November 11, 2019
- 2019 Africa Investment Forum Kicks Off Delivering on the Promise to Redefine and Unpack the Continent’s Investment Opportunities November 11, 2019
- Leaving no girl behind: Merck Foundation in partnership with the First Lady of Malawi, motivate girls to pursue sciences November 11, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today