The President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has unreservedly condemned the shameful assault on former Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, on Saturday in Nuremberg, Germany.
Senator Ekweremadu was to give a keynote address at the Second Igbo Annual Cultural Festival and Convention organised by Ndi-Igbo Germany in that city when a mob, which identified itself as members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), invaded the venue to attack an illustrious son of Ndigbo who in his political career has consistently identified with and defended the cause of his people.
“It is incredibly absurd for anybody to blame the distinguished Senator for the violent criminal activities in his home base, the purported reason cited by the mob for the bewildering attack.
“Senator Ekweremadu, like all his distinguished colleagues in the Ninth Assembly of the Senate, is concerned about the insecurity and other challenges in that area and other parts of Nigeria. Senator Ekweremadu has also been at the forefront of the patriotic efforts to find lasting solutions to the challenges.
“The barbaric attack on Senator Ekweremadu at a forum to which he was invited to contribute to charting a course for the progress and happiness of Ndigbo debase our values as civilised people. It is most reprehensible and should be condemned by all right-thinking Nigerians,” Lawan said.
He urges the German authorities to identify those involved in the despicable act so that the law can take its course against them.
Lawan urges Nigerians to always reflect deeply and broadly before embarking on a course of action and advises the youth to ventilate whatever grievances they have along lines prescribed by the law and recommended by reason and democratic ethos.
The Senate President also urges Senator Ekweremadu not to be deterred by the incident from his path of service to his people and Nigerians in general, but to take it as part of the sacrifice of leadership.
Special Adviser on Media
to President of the Senate
Wellness HMO Again Adopts Three Women for ‘Wellness for Life’
Africa’s Global Bank, UBA is Now Available on Apple Business Chat
STRANSACT NIGERIA MERITS INTERNATIONAL ACCOUNTING GROUP (TIAG) PARTNERSHIP
Lagos Govt. to Improve funding of medical sector, …lament on brain drain
The Next Titan Season-6: Heritage Bank continues to boosts entrepreneurship among youths
Cover Of The Week
- Documentation opens doors for Kenya's stateless Shona community September 19, 2019
- Tanzania: Protect Burundians Facing Abuse September 19, 2019
- More women and children survive today than ever before – UN report September 19, 2019
- South Africa’s Former Energy Minister, Jeff Radebe appointed to reassure African counterparts September 19, 2019
- #InsideTheHustle - Why I quit my job to create Nigeria’s first food truck in the heart of the country's megacity, Lagos September 19, 2019
- The Simbas ready for Zimbabwe Sables in the last 2019 Victoria Cup Fixture September 19, 2019
- Rugby – Zambia : Local 7's Series Resumes September 19, 2019
- 16 coaches from Africa shortlisted as “Future Stars” by Arsenal and WorldRemit September 19, 2019
- Enhancing the Contribution of Innovation, Youth and Leadership in Africa and the African Diaspora September 19, 2019
- Speeding up detection to slow down Ebola: Smartphone app is game-changer for contact tracing in hotspots in the Democratic Republic of the Congo September 19, 2019
Business5 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business6 months ago
News Flash! Ecobank Wins CBN/NIBSS Award For Data Integrity
Politics4 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS