Connect with us

news

‘Senate, Saraki have hatred, contempt for me’ – IGP, Ibrahim Idris

Published

on

 

The Inspector-General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris, has begun a legal action to have the Federal High Court in Abuja to quash the May 9, 2018 resolution of the Senate declaring him “an enemy of democracy and unfit to hold any public office within and outside Nigeria.”

In an affidavit which he filed in support of his application seeking the court’s permission to file a substantive suit to challenge the resolution, Idris said the conduct of both the Senate and its President, Dr Bukola Saraki, in the proceedings leading to what he described as their “legislative judgment” was borne out of hatred and “undisguised contempt” they allegedly had for him.

The IG’s lawyer, Dr. Alex Izinyon (SAN), appearing before Justice John Tsoho on Thursday, moved the ex parte application which sought leave to file a suit for “a judicial review” of the actions of the Senate and its President leading to the resolution passed by the Red Chamber on May 9, 2018.

Justice Tsoho granted the IGP’s ex parte application “after carefully reviewing the processes (court papers) and the exhibits filed.”

“I am convinced that the applicant has shown sufficient interest in the issues raised,” the judge ruled.

“Leave is hereby granted as prayed,” the judge ordered, adding that the order “shall be served on the respondents (Saraki and the Senate), through the Clerk of the National Assembly.”

The judge added that “such service shall be deemed proper and valid service.”

Justice Tsoho adjourned the case till June 27.

This will be the second legal battle Idris will be having with the Senate having earlier filed a suit before the same court asking for an order stopping the Senate’s insistence that he must appear in person for its legislative sitting in respect of criminal charges filed against a serving senator, Dino Melaye, and other killings around the country.

The Senate on May 9, 2018, declared Idris “an enemy of democracy and unfit to hold any public office within and outside Nigeria” after the police chief refused to personally appear before it in honour of two successive invitations in April and May, this year.

The frosty relationship between the Senate and the IGP took another dimension when earlier in the week, the police linked Saraki to the kingpins of the April 5, 2018 robbery of banks in Offa, Kwara State, which left 33 persons including policemen dead.

The Senate and the House of Representatives had thereafter, in a joint session, passed another resolution sticking to the Senate’s “vote of no confidence” in Idris.

But the IG has described the Senate’s May 9, 2018 resolution as an unwarranted “penal sanction” and “a legislative judgment” borne out of the alleged hatred and contempt the Senate and Saraki had for him.

He said the conduct of the Senate and its President, Saraki, during the “votes and proceedings” leading to the May 9, 2018 resolution “is palpable of bias, deep-rooted prejudice, visible hatred, and undisguised contempt of me.”

He stated this in an affidavit which he personally deposed to and filed in support of the ex parte application for leave to commence a legal action for a “judicial review” of the Senate’s action.

Justice Tsoho granted him the leave as prayed for in the ex parte application on Thursday.

The IG said in his affidavit that his lawyer, Izinyon, had informed him that the Senate “lacked the competence and/or jurisdiction to impose penal sanction” on him under section 88 and 89 of the 1999 Constitution”.

He gave details of why he was unable to personally honour the Senate’s invitation prompting him to delegate his subordinates to attend the legislative hearing on his behalf.

Idris said on April 25, he received a letter from the Senate inviting him to appear on April 26, but that he could not honour it because he was, on the said April 26, in Bauchi State, following President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive that he joined “the presidential entourage embarking on two days official trip to Bauchi State.”

He immediately delegated the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (Operations), an Assistant Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioner of Police in Kogi State, whom he said were all conversant with the issues raised by Saraki and the Senate to attend the Senate’s proceedings on his behalf.

He said the Senate, however, refused to grant an audience to his representatives and then rescheduled the sitting to May 2, 2018 “with a stern warning that I, Ibrahim Kopotum Idris, must appear or face the consequence.”

The IG whose affidavit did not give reasons for his inability to attend the Senate’s May 2, 2018 sitting, faulted the resolution made on May 9, 2018, as “ultra vires” the Senate’s powers.

 

news

Journalists for Good Governance Shines Searchlight on Local Government Administration

Published

on

Journalists for Good Governance Shines Searchlight on Local Government Administration

…Calls for Accountability in Nigeria’s Grassroots Governance

 

LAGOS, Nigeria — A civil society coalition known as Journalists for Good Governance(JGG) has intensified public debate on transparency and accountability within Nigeria’s local government system, urging media professionals, civil society actors, and citizens to hold grassroots leaders accountable.

Speaking an event in Lagos recently, the acting chairman of the society, Comrade Bunmi Obarotimi said that despite reforms such as the Supreme Court’s 2024 ruling granting financial autonomy to all 774 Local Government Areas (LGAs), systemic challenges continues to hinder effective service delivery and responsible stewardship of public funds.

“Local governments are the closest tier of government to the people — yet too often they remain the least transparent. Without civic oversight and vibrant media, promises of autonomy ring hollow.” the acting chairman said.

The Journalist for Good Governance emphasised crucial roles that journalists can play in uncovering discrepancies in council spending, flagging poor service delivery, and educating citizens on their rights. Their call comes amid wider efforts by media and civic organisations to bridge accountability gaps. The civil society initiatives had previously launched monitoring campaigns to track local government expenditures and have been quietly advocating for transparency in how public money is deployed.

The leaders of the Journalists for Good Governance (JGG) highlighted the importance of physical assessment and citizens engagement on projects to boost people’s confidence, urging local councils to adopt open data platforms and proactive information dissemination in compliance with the Freedom of Information Act. Experts say the majority of LGAs currently lack operational websites or digital portals, further limiting public scrutiny.

The Journalists for Good Governance initiative aligns with sustained advocacy by civil society groups and governance experts calling for a collective approach to strengthening democratic accountability, and has decided to engage in critical and holistic assessments of how Local Governments is being run and the impact and quality of projects they embark-on and to address deficits in transparency and public trust.
Meanwhile, some state governments have signalled support for improved community engagement. In Lagos State, authorities reiterated a commitment to enhancing community media platforms as vehicles for civic participation and accountability at the grassroots level.

The renewed spotlight on local government administration has reignited public debate over fiscal responsibility and priorities. Controversies such as the widely criticised Adamawa council chairmen’s wives trip to Istanbul — which drew public outrage for perceived misuse of public funds — underscore why watchdog groups say stronger oversight mechanisms are urgently needed at the grassroots.
Citizens and activists have welcomed the journalists’ initiative, calling for sustained media engagement that goes beyond headlines to influence policy and accountability reform.
The civic rights advocates note that real change will require robust legal frameworks, a free press, and empowered communities equipped to demand transparency at every level of governance.
As Journalists for Good Governance mobilises its members, the coming months are likely to see heightened media attention on grassroots administration — from council budgets and service delivery to the enforcement of public information laws and digital transparency initiatives.

Continue Reading

news

ANOTHER PROPHECY FULFILLMENT BY PROPHET KINGSLEY AITAFO OVER THE EXIT OF DR. KENOLY, ANNOUNCING FEBRUARY’S OPEN PROPHETIC REVIVAL

Published

on

ANOTHER PROPHECY FULFILLMENT BY PROPHET KINGSLEY AITAFO OVER THE EXIT OF DR. KENOLY, ANNOUNCING FEBRUARY’S OPEN PROPHETIC REVIVAL

ANOTHER PROPHECY FULFILLMENT BY PROPHET KINGSLEY AITAFO OVER THE EXIT OF DR. KENOLY, ANNOUNCING FEBRUARY’S OPEN PROPHETIC REVIVAL

 

– Another Prophecy Fulfillment by Prophet Kingsley Aitafo Following the Passing of Ron Kenoly Ahead of February Open Prophetic Revival

 

– Prophet Kingsley Aitafo Records Another Prophecy Fulfillment as February Open Prophetic Revival Is Announced

 

In the released prophecies for 2026, renowned Nigerian cleric, Prophet Kingsley Aitafo, shared a series of revelations touching on Nigeria’s economy, global events, political transitions, natural disasters, religious transformations, and the future of world leaders.

 

 

During a special prophetic session, the prophet stated that he foresaw the departure of two world-renowned musicians in 2026 and urged the Nigerian people and the global community to pray for them.

 

ANOTHER PROPHECY FULFILLMENT BY PROPHET KINGSLEY AITAFO OVER THE EXIT OF DR. KENOLY, ANNOUNCING FEBRUARY’S OPEN PROPHETIC REVIVAL

 

He urged Nigerians and everyone around the globe to pray for the musicians, among other prophecies, and already gave insight concerning them.

 

On February 3, 2026, American gospel singer, songwriter, and worship leader Ron Kenoly passed away at the age of 81. Widely known as the “Professor of Praise,” Kenoly was celebrated for anthems such as “Majesty” and “Lift Him Up,” which have significantly influenced modern congregational worship around the world.

 

 

He was recognized as a pioneer of the contemporary praise and worship movement, leading Scripture-based worship services that became widely adopted in churches across different nations and cultures.

 

The development has been described by followers of Prophet Kingsley Aitafo as a confirmation of the prophecy earlier declared in the year.

 

Meanwhile, Prophet Kingsley Aitafo, leader and shepherd in charge of Oneness in Christ, in conjunction with CCC Living Grace Tabernacle, invites everyone to its February Open Revival. It is a prophetic service determined to change lives through miracles, healings, signs, and wonders.

 

 

It is not an ordinary service; it is another time for a divine encounter where your faith is strengthened, prayers are answered, and breakthroughs and favour are about to rain. With its theme — Jesus Christ is the same forever — the revival is promised to release the power of Jesus Christ like never before. It is a period of shift and divine encounter.

 

This revival service is said to hold on the 25th of February, 2026, from 5pm – 8pm at 20, Showole Street, Ewupe, Singer Sango, Ogun State.

 

It is a season where God is ready to reveal Himself like never before. Members of the public are invited to attend.

Continue Reading

news

GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE COMMENDS STATE-FEDERAL COLLABORATION IN ZAMFARA

Published

on

GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE COMMENDS STATE-FEDERAL COLLABORATION IN ZAMFARA

 

The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative (GCGMSI) has commended the Zamfara State Government for its decisive contribution to security operations through the donation of newly acquired armoured personnel carriers (APCs), surveillance drones, and other critical operational equipment to troops and security agencies in the state.

 

This commendation was contained in a statement signed by the Convener of the GCGMSI, Ibrahim Dahiru Danfulani, Sadaukin Garkuwan Keffi/Betara Biu, and made available to the press.

 

The equipment was formally commissioned on Wednesday, February 18, by the Grand Patron of the GCGMSI and Minister of Defence, General Christopher Gwabin Musa, OFR (rtd.), in a ceremony at the Government House, Gusau. The event was attended by senior military officers, heads of security agencies, and top officials of the Zamfara State Government.

 

The GCGMSI, in its statement, hailed the donation as a “transformative and timely intervention” that aligns perfectly with its core objective of advocating for and supporting tangible measures that enhance the operational capacity and welfare of Nigeria’s security forces. The Initiative praised Governor Dauda Lawal’s administration for moving beyond rhetoric to actionable, material support, describing the move as a “blueprint for state-level collaboration in national security.”

 

“The provision of these assets by the Zamfara State Government is a testament to visionary leadership and a profound commitment to the peace and stability of its people,” the GCGMSI statement read. “It represents the exact kind of synergistic partnership between state and federal authorities that the GCGMSI champions. This initiative will significantly close operational gaps, boost the confidence of our gallant troops, and send a strong message to criminal elements.”

 

Speaking at the commissioning, General Musa emphasized that sustained collaboration is indispensable in confronting the nation’s evolving security challenges. He specifically commended Governor Lawal for his proactive support.

 

“Governor Dauda Lawal has demonstrated exemplary leadership and an unwavering dedication to the security of Zamfara State,” the Defence Minister stated. “The provision of these armoured vehicles, surveillance drones, and other operational equipment will undoubtedly boost the morale and operational effectiveness of our troops and other security agencies on the ground. This is a commendable effort that should be emulated by others.”

 

The newly commissioned assets, which include multiple APCs and advanced surveillance drones, are expected to dramatically enhance the mobility, protection, intelligence-gathering, and rapid response capabilities of security forces, particularly in the state’s remote and difficult terrains where anti-banditry operations are ongoing.

 

In his remarks, Governor Lawal reiterated his administration’s steadfast commitment to being a reliable partner in the security architecture. He urged security agencies to deploy the new resources responsibly and effectively to safeguard lives and property.

 

The Federal Government, through the Ministry of Defence, reaffirmed its commitment to continuing and deepening such partnerships with state governments across the nation to strengthen coordination and resource allocation in the collective fight against insecurity.

 

The GCGMSI concluded its statement by urging other state governments to take a cue from Zamfara’s “bold and pragmatic” approach, affirming that such concrete support is vital for achieving lasting peace and security across Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending