The Senate has directed its Committee on Customs, Excise and Tariff to investigate the recent extra-judicial killings of some residents of Idiroko/Ipokia Constituency in Ogun State by men of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS).
The directive was given after consideration of a motion on the floor during the plenary.
Coming under a point of order, sponsor of the motion, Senator Tolu Odebiyi (APC, Ogun West) said that “since the closure of the country’s land border by the Federal Government, men of the Nigeria Customs Service have been conducting themselves in a very unruly manner and in commando-like style around the Idiroko and Ipokia state constituency.”
According to him, on October 7, 2019, at about 14:00 hrs, some Customs men were alleged to have shot and killed a student of Ojumo Community High School, Ihunbo in Ipokia Local Government Area, while several other students sustained injuries from gunshots.
He added that in another reported incident, men of the NCS drove recklessly with an impounded vehicle in a densely populated market which led to the killing of another student when the driver lost control.
The lawmaker further lamented that an Honourable member representing the area in the State House of Assembly, Sikirat Ajibola, almost lost her life as she was shot at by men of the Nigeria Customs Service while attempting to pacify aggrieved residents following an incident which claimed the life of a student.
Odeyemi said, “while many of the actions and excesses of the men of Nigeria Customs Service, including the recent killings were not only breaches, they are offences against the state; sadly, there’s yet any report of any of the men or officers involved being reprimanded or brought to book.”
Special Assistant (Press)
to President of the Senate
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 Daily Information Update (9th August 2020) August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (9th August 2020) August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC), African Risk Capacity (ARC) launch COVID-19 modelling tool for Africa August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 reported cases in Ethiopia (9th August 2020) August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Africa: COVID-19 statistics in South Africa (9th August 2020) August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Gambia: Daily Case Update as of 9th August 2020 August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 Case Update (9th August 2020) August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Sierra Leone: COVID-19 update (9th August 2020) August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: Update COVID-19 (9 August 2020) August 10, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Africa: Happy Women’s Day 2020 August 9, 2020
news5 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Uncategorized2 months ago
STOP PRESS! AJIMOBI IS NOT DEAD SAYS SPOKESMAN, BOLAJI TUNJI
Politics3 months ago
Lagos Speaker,Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa Clears The Air On Fraud Rumour
Education2 months ago
Methodist owned Wesley University owe staff up to 40 months Salaries