The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, has stressed the need for the deregulation of the oil sector to make funds available, especially for the provision of basic amenities to the people.
Governor Abiodun, who stated this when he received members of the Depot and Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (DPMAN) on a courtesy call in his office in Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, said it was becoming increasingly difficult to provide infrastructure, hence the need to embark on deregulation.
“We can actually embark on deregulation and the savings will be a trillion Naira, and if these savings are put into road infrastructure, the citizens of Nigeria would appreciate it.
Prince Abiodun, who identified the deplorable condition of roads to be the biggest problem confronting the people, said “in the course of my campaign, we realised that the biggest problem that our people have is the state of our intra-city and township roads. That is the biggest problem.
“If you just fix roads in this State and do nothing else, our people will be happy because it facilitates every other thing. If people can move from point A to point B, they can transport their children to school, they can move their products to markets and go to work on good roads; they would be happy,” he said.
The Governor, who said he was not yet impressed by the marginal drop on local consumption of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) from 56 to 53 million litres per day due to border closure, stated that the drop was an indication that only little has been achieved.
“NNPC showed some numbers that arose from the border closure, that the consumption of fuel had dropped from 56 to 53 million litres daily. It shows that we have achieved very little. When you look at the N145 charged in Nigeria and the N320 that is charged in neighbouring countries, there is more than enough to go round to satisfy everybody, so we cannot continue to deceive ourselves. We must do something about it,” he noted.
The Governor commended the Association for its commitment to national development, calling for partnership in the area of advice to ensure that the system continues to work.
The state helmsman, who used the opportunity to call on members of the Association to come and invest in the State, said the State is a factor in the supply and distribution chain, as it is a host to one of NNPC’s biggest depots in the country and gas pipelines crisscrossing the length and breadth of the State.
Speaking earlier, the Chairman of North West Oil and leader of the visiting team, Mrs. Winifred Akpani, called for the deregulation of the oil sector as the poor do not benefit from subsidy.
She said the Association was in the State to see areas where it would partner with the government and to congratulate the Governor on his election, adding that the State was lucky to have a man who has provened to be a good manager of human and material resources.
Lagos State Task Force Assault and Teargas Journalist
Fly better on Emirates and discover dazzling Dubai
Friends, Political Associates of Akeredolu’s Cabinet Members Appointed As Sen. Ajayi Borofice’s Aides
WIMBIZ recorded more than 2,000 attendees for the two-day conference
THE HUMILIATION OF THE VILLA FIEND
Cover Of The Week
- Ecobank signs up to The United Nations Environment Programme’s Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) Principles for Responsible Banking November 13, 2019
- U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) and African Development Bank partner to Support Development in Africa November 13, 2019
- WHO prequalifies Ebola vaccine, paving the way for its use in high-risk countries November 13, 2019
- U.S. provides Financing to Tetra4 to develop Energy Infrastructure in South Africa November 13, 2019
- Continental championship Rugby Africa Cup 2020 season starts with new spectator experience November 13, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) Ethiopia Rolls Out Community-Based Planning for Displacement Affected Communities in Somali Region November 12, 2019
- In the Face of Uncertainty, Residents of Aweil Remain Hopeful of Unity November 12, 2019
- Water Systems Completed in Uganda Refugee Settlements with European Union (EU), United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) Support November 12, 2019
- USA Supports Ghana to Advance and Strengthen Community-level Health Service Delivery November 12, 2019
- Africa Investment Forum: Family businesses - an underestimated economic driving force November 12, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today