The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, has described sports as a veritable tool that could unite the various ethnic groups in the country, if well harnessed.
The Governor, who noted this in his office when he received the organising members of the Abeokuta 10-Kilometre Marathon Race, led by the former Commissioner for Youths and Sports, Mr. Bukola Olopade, said sports have the potentials of bringing every segment of the country into a united family.
“Sports is what Nigerians take seriously. It is a major unifying factor that should be encouraged. Sports, apart from being a profession, also help in keeping people fit and healthy.
“When Nigeria is taking part in any sporting activities, be it athletic or football, Nigerians momentarily forget their differences and come together to support their team until after the game when we go back to our different ways,” he stated.
Prince Abiodun, who described the State as, the “home of Sports”, said it has produced eminent sportsmen and women, who had made the State and Country proud, saying that a Sports Commission would be created to take sports to greater heights.
He stressed the need for the youth to be encouraged to take part in sporting activities, as a means of livelihood, saying it would help them to be more disciplined and shun social vices.
“When youths are encouraged to take part in sporting activities, it will help them to be more disciplined and take them off social vices. It will also help improve their academic performance,” he said.
While thanking the organisers for choosing the State for the event, the State helmsman opined that it would afford the State an opportunity to showcase its sporting and business potentials to the outside world as well as its hospitality and cultural heritage.
Speaking earlier, Mr. Bukola Olopade said the State is the first to host such a race in Nigeria, as he thanked the State government for putting machinery in place for the success of the event.
Also speaking, the President, International Association of Ultrarunners, Mr. Nadeem Khan, acknowledged Nigerians’ enthusiasm and love for sports, saying that the Abeokuta event was the biggest marathon race to be staged in Africa.
The President, Athletics Federation of Nigeria, Alhaji Ibrahim Gusau, lauded the State for accepting to host the marathon, saying that sports promote healthy living and are a source of income to the professionals.
An Olympian, Mrs. Falilat Ogunkoya, said the State was blessed with renowned sportsmen and women, while appreciating the government for taking steps to revive sports in the State.
Lagos State Task Force Assault and Teargas Journalist
Fly better on Emirates and discover dazzling Dubai
Friends, Political Associates of Akeredolu’s Cabinet Members Appointed As Sen. Ajayi Borofice’s Aides
WIMBIZ recorded more than 2,000 attendees for the two-day conference
THE HUMILIATION OF THE VILLA FIEND
Cover Of The Week
- Ecobank signs up to The United Nations Environment Programme’s Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) Principles for Responsible Banking November 13, 2019
- U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) and African Development Bank partner to Support Development in Africa November 13, 2019
- WHO prequalifies Ebola vaccine, paving the way for its use in high-risk countries November 13, 2019
- U.S. provides Financing to Tetra4 to develop Energy Infrastructure in South Africa November 13, 2019
- Continental championship Rugby Africa Cup 2020 season starts with new spectator experience November 13, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) Ethiopia Rolls Out Community-Based Planning for Displacement Affected Communities in Somali Region November 12, 2019
- In the Face of Uncertainty, Residents of Aweil Remain Hopeful of Unity November 12, 2019
- Water Systems Completed in Uganda Refugee Settlements with European Union (EU), United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) Support November 12, 2019
- USA Supports Ghana to Advance and Strengthen Community-level Health Service Delivery November 12, 2019
- Africa Investment Forum: Family businesses - an underestimated economic driving force November 12, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today