The 2016 Budget caused a lot of rift and confusion across the country and it was gathered that some people were behind it. According to a statement released by the Special Adviser on media and publicity, Femi Adeshina, Pres. Buhari promises to punish those behind it
”President Muhammadu Buhari vowed late Tuesday in Riyadh that all those involved in the “padding” of the 2016 National Budget will face the most severe punishment.
Addressing the Nigerian Community in Saudi Arabia, President Buhari condemned the distortion of the budget proposals by entrenched interests.
The President said that the unauthorised alterations had completely changed the document from the one he presented to the National Assembly.
“The culprits will not go unpunished. I have been a military governor, petroleum minister, military Head of State and headed the Petroleum Trust Fund.
“Never had I heard the words “budget padding”. Our Minister of Budget and National Planning did a great job with his team. The Minister became almost half his size during the time, working night and day to get the budget ready, only for some people to pad it.
“What he gave us was not what was finally being debated. It is very embarrassing and disappointing. We will not allow those who did it to go unpunished,” President Buhari vowed.
The President also assured members of the Nigerian community that his administration was working diligently to fulfil its campaign promises, particularly on security, unemployment, and corruption.
Reaffirming his government’s zero tolerance for corruption, President Buhari said that the war against corruption was a monumental task that he is determined to tackle successfully.
“We have zero tolerance for corruption and other unethical practices. We will deal decisively with anybody found wanting,” he promised members of the Nigerian community.
President Buhari also used the opportunity of the gathering to brief Nigerians in Saudi Arabia on his administration’s efforts to end the Boko Haram insurgency and terrorism in Nigeria.
“Our armed forces have done a great job of dealing decisively with Boko Haram. We are collaborating with our neighbors in the operations of the Multinational Joint Task Force to handle security threats in the sub-region and we have significantly destroyed the capacity of the insurgents,” the President said.
He also spoke on efforts being made to diversify the Nigerian economy, stressing that more opportunities are now open for local and foreign investors in the country.”
Cover Of The Week
- Africa Oil & Power officially opens Mozambique Workshops, celebrates International Women’s Day March 8, 2021
- Sonangol celebrates 45 Years in Service of Angola (By Charné Hundermark) March 8, 2021
- Canada World Youth and Africa Skills Hub partner to introduce Women’s Entrepreneurship and Livelihood Initiative (WELI) March 8, 2021
- USD 35-billion per year is needed to tackle Africa’s water crisis; South African firm Khato Civils announces African expansion and calls for AfCFTA to be the catalyst to build Africa’s water infrastructure March 8, 2021
- The Africa Digital Inclusion Facility approves grants worth $1.3 million for two research efforts to enhance women’s digital access to loans and micro-insurance March 8, 2021
- The African Energy Chamber to host Virtual Book Launch for its first ever advisory board book March 8, 2021
- NBA and Basketball Africa League launch Gender Equality Initiatives in Africa March 8, 2021
- Energy Sector stands with Equatorial Guinea as explosions decimate in residential areas March 8, 2021
- Oil and Gas sector welcomes merger of South Africa’s iGas, PetroSA and Strategic Fuel Fund March 8, 2021
- Gaerne and Team Qhubeka ASSOS reunite partnership March 8, 2021
Politics3 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Popular Yoruba Actor, Kanran Smiles Again, gets Car, Cash, Property Worth Millions (video)
Metro6 months ago
8 People killed in Edo over ₦100
Sports6 months ago
Prophet TB Joshua Speaks To Messi