Long before the kick off of the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup Finals, the sports loving Governor Ambode thought in his wisdom that Lagosians who could not be physically present in Russia for the World Cup should have a platform which will enable them to be part of the biggest sporting showpiece in the world.
To this end, the Governor made provision for setting up of six World Cup Viewing Centres across some carefully selected points in the State. This brought about viewing centres in the following areas: Teslim Balogun Stadium in Surulere, Campos Mini Stadium, Lagos Island; Abesan playground, Alimosho; Naval Yard Ajegunle; Bishop Aggrey Youth Centre, Mushin and Epe Recreation Centre.
However, it was jubilation galore in ikorodu on Saturday as Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, the Lagos State governor, ordered that a World Cup Viewing Centre be opened in Ikorodu immediately which served as a sigh of relief for football lovers in the division as they now watch World Cup live matches for free.
As early as 6pm on Tuesday evening, Thousands of football lovers started trooping into the ikorodu town hall to have a glimpse of what Governor Ambode has brought to their door step as everyone was confident of staying inside the premises of the town hall as security operatives were fully available at every corner of the center in case of unforeseen casualties.
To a first timer, passing through ikorodu town hall, one would think a powerful crusade was going on as loads of heads can be sighted from afar and noise hoovering from every angle of the center as a disc jockey was on standby to entertain the crowd with Hip Hop latest hits as it was all to support the super Eagles of Nigeria in a fierce last World Cup group match against Argentina.
Speaking at the ikorodu town hall, the vice chairman ikorodu Local Government, Princess Folashade Olabanji Oba expressed her happiness towards what Governor Amboode has done for the ikorodu division. She explained that herself with other likeminded people in ikorodu met with Governor Ambode to make a request that a world cup viewing center be opened in ikorodu as it is in other division and the Governor ordered that a world cup viewing center should be opened in ikorodu division within 48 hours and it has come to pass. She added that this signifies Akinwunmi Ambode is a listening Governor.
“This viewing center will promote unity among people of different tribe in this community as football is one of the things that bring us together. Governor Ambode has provided a platform for people to show oneness as Nigerians. As such, he really deserves to come back in 2019 to continue with the good work he is doing in Lagos State” she said.
Prince Hakeem Gbolade, board member youth and sport commission Lagos State on his own part commended Governor Akinwunmi Ambode for bringing the world cup viewing center to ikorodu division and urged the youths in the division to make good use of the opportunity the Governor has given to them and not use It for indecent practices.
He also assured the people of ikorodu that more is still coming from Governor Ambode and enjoined them to return Ambode to office in 2019 to continue enjoying the rare developments the division has been witnessing.
The viewing center moving to Ikorodu was a result of efforts made by key stakeholders in the division which includes; DG Abiodun Ogunleye, Hon.Bashorun Olorunfunmi,Hon S.O.B Agunbiade, Hon. Babajimi Benson(MHR),Hon. N.S.Solaja Hon.Princess Folashade Olabanji-Oba amongst others.
Cover Of The Week
- Cornavirus - Kenya: Total of 110 confirmed coronavirus Cases April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Sudan: As of 01 April 2020, seven cases of confirmed COVID-19 reported in Sudan April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: Notification note on COVID-19 situational update- April 2, 2020 April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: 8 confirmed cases as at 1 April April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ghana: Situation Update, Confirmed Covid-19 Cases in Ghana as at 02 April 2020, 14:00hrs April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Africa: Ministers Blade Nzimande and Zweli Mkhize postpone impact of Covid-19 on South Africans survey April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: WHO concerned as COVID-19 cases accelerate in Africa April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Update April 2, 2020
- United Nations (UN) Human Rights Committee publishes findings on Central African Republic, Portugal, Tunisia, Uzbekistan and Dominica April 2, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
Sports7 months ago
Winners emerge in the 2019 Nigerian and African Freestyle Football Championship
Entertainment6 months ago
“Why Ultrabest Dance School is the best in Nigeria”- Juliet Ugwoeje
Fashion/Lifestyle4 months ago
Face Of Universe Nigeria Beauty pageant maiden edition Registration kicks off January 20th