The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has debunked reports that the body was planning to postpone Saturday’s elections.
Presidential and National Assembly elections are scheduled to hold in few hours.
National Commissioner for Voter Education and Publicity at INEC, Mr. Festus Okoye, told DAILY POST Friday night that Nigerians should ignore the rumours.
His words: “If stories are flying about, allow the stories to fly. What they are reporting is not true.”
Asked to respond to information that INEC commissioners were in a meeting, Okoye said: “Yes we are in a meeting but we have not taken such decision.
“This is election period and as commissioners, we meet every time”.
Meanwhile, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, said his camp had foiled a plan to rig the polls in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, the recent development of INEC offices being set ablaze in Abia, Anambra, and Plateau states by ‘mysterious fire’, where thousands of electoral materials were burnt, could be major threat to the election.
Also, earlier on Friday, the commission in Niger State announced that elections for the senatorial positions of Niger East and Niger North may not hold on Saturday as the ballot papers meant for the zone were missing.
Boroffice congratulates Bello, Lyon over hard-won victories
ABIODUN CONGRATULATES BELLO, LYON
Pastor Ize-Iyamu Mocks Edo PDP
The Last Dance of Akinlade/APM Legal Gambit: Time Will Tell
HOW TO STOP FUTURE OTA TOLL GATE DISASTERS – GOV ABIODUN
Cover Of The Week
- Stronger data and evidence crucial for Africa’s policymakers November 19, 2019
- Blue economy can be a site of economic production – ECA November 19, 2019
- A strong partnership for financial inclusion in Namibia: German development bank KfW and NamPost intensify their cooperation to support SMEs and households in rural areas November 19, 2019
- Messi Meets Patients from Save a Child’s Heart November 19, 2019
- 30 years of child rights: Historic gains and undeniable achievements, but little progress for the world’s poorest children - UNICEF November 19, 2019
- Ambassador of Kazakhstan presented credential letters to the President of Ethiopia November 19, 2019
- H.E. Mr. Andrii Pravednyk, Ambassador of Ukraine to the Republic of Kenya held a meeting with H.E. Ambassador Jonhson Weru, Director, Directorate of Economic Affairs and Commercial Diplomacy, MFA of the Republic of Kenya November 19, 2019
- Foreign Involvement in Libya Must be Stopped, Top Official Tells Security Council, Describing ‘Race Against Time’ to Reach Peaceful Solution, Spare Lives November 19, 2019
- Ethiopia and Norway held the 5th Political Consultation on today in Oslo November 18, 2019
- Côte d’Ivoire Elephants encounter Rwanda Silverbacks in Rugby Africa Cup 2020 elimination stage November 18, 2019
Business7 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics6 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today