The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has debunked reports that the body was planning to postpone Saturday’s elections.
Presidential and National Assembly elections are scheduled to hold in few hours.
National Commissioner for Voter Education and Publicity at INEC, Mr. Festus Okoye, told DAILY POST Friday night that Nigerians should ignore the rumours.
His words: “If stories are flying about, allow the stories to fly. What they are reporting is not true.”
Asked to respond to information that INEC commissioners were in a meeting, Okoye said: “Yes we are in a meeting but we have not taken such decision.
“This is election period and as commissioners, we meet every time”.
Meanwhile, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, said his camp had foiled a plan to rig the polls in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, the recent development of INEC offices being set ablaze in Abia, Anambra, and Plateau states by ‘mysterious fire’, where thousands of electoral materials were burnt, could be major threat to the election.
Also, earlier on Friday, the commission in Niger State announced that elections for the senatorial positions of Niger East and Niger North may not hold on Saturday as the ballot papers meant for the zone were missing.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus: AVAT to partner with UNICEF in scaling up vaccine deliveries to African Union Member States August 3, 2021
- Energy Capital & Power announces historic Libya Energy & Economic Summit 2021, endorsed by the Office Of The Prime Minister August 3, 2021
- WHO to expand support in strengthening the delivery of primary health care and essential health services through Canadian grant August 3, 2021
- PAO Novatech CFO and Deputy Chairman, Mark Gyetvay, to Promote African LNG Opportunities at African Energy Week in Cape Town August 3, 2021
- Chief Scientist of FAO joins Al Sumait Prize Board of Trustees August 3, 2021
- Oloo hails Lionesses performances in Tokyo August 3, 2021
- Siemens drives digital transformation at its Virtual Smart Mining Forum August 3, 2021
- General Assembly Creates New Permanent Forum of People of African Descent August 3, 2021
- African Energy Week in Cape Town to Inject Critical Capital into Local Economy, Create Jobs, Boost COVID-19 Recovery August 3, 2021
- Coronavirus - Somalia: COVID-19 Update (02 August 2021) August 2, 2021
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Fashion/Lifestyle3 months ago
How To Make a Girl Horny Fast – 9 Easy Tricks
society6 months ago
Nigerian Army Major Allegedly Storm Car Dealers Shop With Troops Brutalised Civilians By Ifeoma Ikem
religion5 months ago
Behold The Popular Businessman That Supports Primate Ayodele’s Church Building