The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has debunked reports that the body was planning to postpone Saturday’s elections.
Presidential and National Assembly elections are scheduled to hold in few hours.
National Commissioner for Voter Education and Publicity at INEC, Mr. Festus Okoye, told DAILY POST Friday night that Nigerians should ignore the rumours.
His words: “If stories are flying about, allow the stories to fly. What they are reporting is not true.”
Asked to respond to information that INEC commissioners were in a meeting, Okoye said: “Yes we are in a meeting but we have not taken such decision.
“This is election period and as commissioners, we meet every time”.
Meanwhile, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, said his camp had foiled a plan to rig the polls in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, the recent development of INEC offices being set ablaze in Abia, Anambra, and Plateau states by ‘mysterious fire’, where thousands of electoral materials were burnt, could be major threat to the election.
Also, earlier on Friday, the commission in Niger State announced that elections for the senatorial positions of Niger East and Niger North may not hold on Saturday as the ballot papers meant for the zone were missing.
Sanwo-Olu at 54: Celebrating A Man On Mission For A Greater Lagos
Tade Ogidan, Lancelot Imasuen, BFA Students Others Win Big At Lekki Film Festival Awards
OUR POROUS BORDER WORRISOME- DAPO ABIODUN
INSECURITY: SANWO-OLU, SOUTH WEST GOVERNORS RENEW CALL FOR STATE POLICE
Accra Fashion Week’s ‘Year Of Return’ Welcomes Foreign Brands Clavon Leonard, Chivalrouz, Tolumi TFP & More
Cover Of The Week
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed congratulates Mauritania's President-elect June 26, 2019
- 300,000 displaced following fresh violence in DR Congo June 26, 2019
- Floods and Intercommunal Violence in Central Mali: Thousands of Displaced Persons Await Humanitarian Assistance June 26, 2019
- Thousands fleeing new Congo violence, Uganda refugee facilities dangerously stretched June 26, 2019
- Sierra Leone: Amnesty International joins legal challenge against government ban on pregnant girls attending school June 25, 2019
- German Government continues supporting economic development in the Republic of Namibia June 25, 2019
- Rugby – Zimbabwe: Womens Under-20 Rugby Series Kicks Off on Wednesday June 25, 2019
- Tiny fish are a big deal in Africa’s lakes and rivers June 25, 2019
- Govt. of Japan avails US$1.5million towards treatment of malnutrition in Sierra Leone June 25, 2019
- African Development Bank approves USD 24.7 million for Water and Sanitation Development in South Sudan June 25, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips4 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Crime3 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business2 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
religion6 months ago
Christmas 2018: Apostle Suleman Dazzles Church Members With 2000 Bags of Rice, Cash Gifts