The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has debunked reports that the body was planning to postpone Saturday’s elections.
Presidential and National Assembly elections are scheduled to hold in few hours.
National Commissioner for Voter Education and Publicity at INEC, Mr. Festus Okoye, told DAILY POST Friday night that Nigerians should ignore the rumours.
His words: “If stories are flying about, allow the stories to fly. What they are reporting is not true.”
Asked to respond to information that INEC commissioners were in a meeting, Okoye said: “Yes we are in a meeting but we have not taken such decision.
“This is election period and as commissioners, we meet every time”.
Meanwhile, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, said his camp had foiled a plan to rig the polls in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, the recent development of INEC offices being set ablaze in Abia, Anambra, and Plateau states by ‘mysterious fire’, where thousands of electoral materials were burnt, could be major threat to the election.
Also, earlier on Friday, the commission in Niger State announced that elections for the senatorial positions of Niger East and Niger North may not hold on Saturday as the ballot papers meant for the zone were missing.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (15 April 2021) April 16, 2021
- African Union holds global conference to accelerate African vaccine development and manufacturing capacity April 16, 2021
- Ultra-fast, and responsive - first details of EOS R3 revealed, Canon's latest professional mirrorless for sports and news April 16, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Eritrea: Announcement from the Ministry of Health (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - South Africa: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
Politics5 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion4 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Politics5 months ago
Will Primate Ayodele’s Warning To Joe Biden On US Election Come To Pass?