Why Gov. Wike Imposed 24 Hour Curfew For Two Weeks In PH- Rivers State governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has imposed a 24 hour total curfew for two weeks on the entire area around the Okoro-Nu-Odu flyover in Rumuokoro, due to upsurge of cult activities and related violence.
The governor has also warned that the government will spare no efforts to deal appropriately with anyone who decides to disturb peace and security in the State with cult activities and associated violence and killings.
Governor Wike, in a state wide broadcast explained that the decision to impose the curfew was taken after the State Security Council meeting on Sunday in Port Harcourt.
The governor stated that the government has repeatedly warned misguided youths that are engaging in cultism because of its abhorrent anti-social effect on society.
“As part of measures to tackle this menace therefore, Government has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to one-kilometer radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market with effect from Monday 23rd November 2020.
“Consequently, no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed within the afore-mentioned restricted areas until further notice. Only staff and vehicles belonging to Julius Berger Nigeria Limited are exempted from the curfew and associated restrictions on movement so that construction work on the Okoro-Nu-Odu flyover is not stalled.”
The governor directed security agencies to enforce strict compliance with the curfew and arrest and summarily prosecute any person, trader or vehicle that may attempt to violate the curfew.
“Again, we wish to warn that community leaders that allow cultism and related activities to thrive unabated in their communities would be treated as collaborators to the resulting crimes and dealt with accordingly.
“We urge all citizens to be part of the efforts to curb cultism in the State by reporting any suspicious cult activity, including gatherings and initiations in or around their neighbourhoods to the security agencies for immediate action.”
Governor disclosed that the State government will construct the 7th flyover in Port Harcourt to traverse Ikokwu to Azikiwe Street.
He appealed to residents of Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor Local Government Areas to bear with the State government for traffic challenges that they may encounter in connection with the ongoing construction of the Oro-Abali and other flyovers.
“Indeed, the Okoro-nu-do flyover is next on the line to be delivered and commissioned, latest, in the first quarter of 2021.
Two days ago, the State Executive Council approved the award of the contract for the constructing of the sixth flyover along the Oro-Abali (Kaduna street) intersection of Aba road to Julius Berger Nigeria Limited.”
Special Assistant (Media) Rivers State Governor
22 November, 2020
Cover Of The Week
- Top tier rugby action returns in February January 19, 2021
- Africa Medical Supplies Platform (AMSP) opens COVID-19 vaccines pre-orders for 55 African Union Member States January 19, 2021
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (18 January 2021) January 19, 2021
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (18 January 2021) January 19, 2021
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 update (18 January 2021) January 19, 2021
- Coronavirus - Gambia: COVID-19 update (18 January 2021) January 19, 2021
- Security Council Press Statement on Attack against United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali January 19, 2021
- GSK and Novartis announce collaboration to support scientific research into genetic diversity in Africa January 19, 2021
- Coronavirus - Sierra Leone: COVID-19 update (18 January 2021) January 18, 2021
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 18 January 2021, 9 am EAT January 18, 2021
Politics2 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Popular Yoruba Actor, Kanran Smiles Again, gets Car, Cash, Property Worth Millions (video)
Metro5 months ago
8 People killed in Edo over ₦100
Sports5 months ago
Prophet TB Joshua Speaks To Messi