Following the cross examination that happened at the Lagos Judicial Panel, Brig.-Gen. Ahmed Taiwo, Commander of the 81 Division, Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, clarified that the army went to the tollgate with both blank and live ammunitions.
While being cross-examined, Brig.-Gen. Ahmed Taiwo insisted that that the military acted within the Army’s Rules of Engagement in keeping up with professionalism.
Reacting to the statement by Major Osoba Olaniyi, Acting Deputy Director, Public Relations, 81 division, titled, “Re-Cross Examination of Brig General Ahmed Taiwo on Blank and Live Ammunition by Troops of 81 division, Nigerian Army”, he emphasised that carrying both blank and live ammunition is part of the table of Equipment for internal Security Operation as well as part of the rules of engagement for soldiers during such IS operations.
He advised Nigerians and stakeholders to beware of the antics of agents of both local and foreign destabilization who are bent on using the EndSARS plant seeds of discord in the nation.
The statement reads,
“The attention of the headquarters 81 division, Nigerian Army has been drawn to news items on both the social and mainstream media insinuating the troops of the Nigerian Army contradicted its evidence of firing blank ammunition when it also carried live ammunition for internal Security on the 20th October 2020.
“We hereby state unequivocally that carrying both blank and live ammunition is part of our table of Equipment for internal Security operations.
“It is part of the rules of engagement for soldiers on internal Security operations to carry both blank and live ammunition .
“The use of any of these ammunition as stated in our rules of engagement depends on the level of threat at the operational area.
“Please note that one of the principles of internal Security operations is the use of minimum Force. Minimum Force itself is a function of the assessment of the Commander on ground.
“In this circumstances, ie; the Lekki Toll Gate, the Commander on ground assessed that there was no need to use live ammunition. That was why only blank ammunition was used at the Lekki Toll Gate.
“The blank ammunition was fired into the sky and not at the protesters.
“The results are all glaring as there was no fatality recorded. This has been corroborated by BBC reports and other reputable news media outfit.
“The use of blank ammunition/minimum Force achieved the aim of dispersing the hoodlums and crowd.
“It is pertinent to reiterate that the Nigerian Army is a law abiding institution that actis in tandem with her rules of engagement.
“We therefore wish to advice all stakeholders to guide against being used by local and foreign agents of destabilization who do not wish this country any good.
Cover Of The Week
- Record 121 NBA and WNBA Players to Compete in 2020 Tokyo Olympics July 24, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: United States Donates Electronic High-Tech Equipment to Support Namibia's COVID-19 Vaccination Program July 23, 2021
- Coronavirus - Eswatini: COVID-19 Daily Info Update (July 23, 2021) July 23, 2021
- Somalia's Women and Children are Among the 1.84 Million to Benefit from Improved Healthcare Services July 23, 2021
- Coronavirus - Niger: United States Donates an Additional 151,200 COVID-19 Vaccines to Niger July 23, 2021
- Ahmed Yahya, Chairman of CAF's Interclub Competitions Committee: "Africa backs the idea of a World Cup every two years" July 23, 2021
- Coronavirus - Tunisia: Belgium sends emergency aid to Tunisia in the fight against COVID-19 July 23, 2021
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (23 July 2021) July 23, 2021
- Coronavirus - South Africa: Covid-19 Statistics for Republic of South Africa (22 July 2021) July 23, 2021
- New Data Show Tigray, Ethiopia at Risk of Famine July 23, 2021
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Fashion/Lifestyle3 months ago
How To Make a Girl Horny Fast – 9 Easy Tricks
society6 months ago
Nigerian Army Major Allegedly Storm Car Dealers Shop With Troops Brutalised Civilians By Ifeoma Ikem
Politics7 months ago
How TB Joshua predicted America, Trump’s present predicament