Politics
Yahaya Bello: Court to rule on bail application Dec 10, defendants to remain in EFCC custody
Yahaya Bello: Court to rule on bail application Dec 10, defendants to remain in EFCC custody
Justice Maryann Anenih of the Federal Capital Territory High Court has fixed December 10, 2024 for rulings on the bail applications by the immediate past governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, and two others.
The Judge fixed the date after taking arguments for and against the bail request by Bello’s lawyer, Joseph Bodunde Dauda, SAN and the Prosecution’s Counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN.
Former governor, Bello, and two others had, on Wednesday, pleaded not guilty to the 16-count charges brought against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
Bello, who is the 1st defendant, vehemently denied the allegations before Justice Maryann Anenih as they were reeled out by the Court Registrar.
After taking their plea, the Defendant’s Counsel, JB Daudu, SAN, moved an application for bail, but the EFCC Counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, opposed the application, saying it had expired in October.
Making clarifications, the Defendant’s Counsel clarified this, saying that the only relevant application before the Court was the motion for bail in respect of the first defendant, which was filed on November 22.
Relying on all the paragraphs of the affidavit, he added that the bail application was also supported with a written address.
“Exhibit A, which is the public summons is very vital and the appearance of the defendant in Court today, shows he has respect for the law,” he said.
The EFCC had moved for trial to commence immediately and was ready to call its first witness.
But Bello’s Counsel argued that they were served with the charge at 11 p.m. on November 26 and that he would need time to prepare his client.
On the bail application, Daudu, SAN, said the law in the country says a defendant is innocent until proven guilty.
“It is within his rights to enjoy his liberty while preparing for trial,” he said.
“The prosecution’s objection is based on the fact that he is facing charges at the Federal High Court and has refused to appear to take his plea.
“The court should not use issues from another court to determine issues before the FCT High Court,” he noted.
Pointing out some paragraphs in the counter affidavit, he said the prosecution raised issues that had to do with a matter at the Federal High Court.
“When the jurisdiction of the Court is challenged, the defendant needs not to appear until the issues arising from the jurisdiction are resolved,” he noted.
Objecting to the submissions of Mr. Bello, counsel to EFCC held that his preliminary objection was anchored on three grounds – competence of the application; factual content of the application; and application of judicial principles and guidance.
Justice Anenih thereafter rose for a short recess.
After the recess, the prosecution counsel also opposed the bail application for the 2nd Defendant, saying since he was still a government official serving as the Director-General, Kogi State Government House, there was the likelihood of him committing the same offence.
But the Defendant’s counsel argued that the use of “may” in the prosecution’s counter affidavit did not show where the 2nd defendant allegedly committed another offence after being granted bail.
He insisted that the counter affidavit lacked merit as it did not show that the defendant was a habitual offender.
He therefore urged the court to grant the application for bail.
Justice Anenih adjourned ruling on the bail application to December 10 and directed that the three defendants should remain in EFCC custody.
Recall that Umar Shoaib Oricha and Abdulsalami Hudu had earlier been admitted to administrative bail by the EFCC while the former governor appeared before the court for the first time.
Politics
Gov. Dauda Lawal commissions projects in Anka LGA, Commits to Sustainable Development
Gov. Dauda Lawal commissions projects in Anka LGA, Commits to Sustainable Development
The Executive Governor of Zamfara State, Dr. Dauda Lawal, has reiterated his administration’s steadfast commitment to guiding Zamfara State towards sustainable development by inaugurating and initiating a series of pivotal projects in the Anka Local Government Area.
Among the key undertakings announced are the comprehensive reconstruction and modernization of the Emir of Anka’s palace, signaling a revitalization of traditional leadership; the initiation of work on the crucial Anka–Abbare Road, which is expected to significantly improve connectivity; and the construction of a new Local Government Secretariat.
Additionally, the projects encompass the establishment of dedicated offices for the Hisbah Commission and the Community Protection Guards, alongside the reconstruction of the Safe School in Anka, emphasizing the administration’s focus on enhancing educational infrastructure.
During the commissioning event, Governor Lawal highlighted that these projects are a fulfillment of commitments made during his campaign, aimed at transforming the local landscape by improving infrastructure, stimulating economic growth, bolstering public service efficiency, and enhancing the capacities of security agencies. He called for a collective effort from the community to ensure proper maintenance of these facilities, underscoring the shared responsibility in preserving public assets.
Governor Lawal shared that similar projects have also been inaugurated in Tsafe, with plans for upcoming projects in Kaura Namoda, Moriki, Bungudu, Bukkuyum, and Zurmi, all expected to be completed and inaugurated by the year’s end. This ambitious timeline reflects the administration’s urgency in addressing the development needs of various regions within the state.
In his remarks, the governor urged residents and local traditional institutions to collaborate closely in maintaining the newly commissioned structures and supporting the overarching objectives of his administration. “I stand here in Anka today to honor our commitments to the people of Anka Local Government and all of Zamfara State. The official opening of the new palace for the ‘Sarkin Zamfaran Anka’ and the Zamfara State Council of Chiefs is a significant milestone that wraps up today’s agenda,” he stated.
Governor Lawal emphasized the strategic importance of the Anka–Abbare Road, describing it as a critical artery that will not only enhance access to remote areas but also stimulate economic activities and generate multiplier effects throughout the local economy. He articulated the necessity of providing a conducive work environment for civil servants, affirming that the new local government secretariat and dedicated offices will significantly contribute to strengthening law and order within the state.
“Education is the cornerstone of any thriving society. Our focused initiatives are oriented towards fostering a safe, secure, and supportive environment for our students. I am also proud to announce the completion and commissioning of the reconstructed SAFE School Anka today,” he remarked, reaffirming the administration’s dedication to education.
The governor further noted that the commissioning of the Emir’s Palace serves to restore the historical prominence of traditional institutions, which he regards as pivotal custodians of the region’s culture and heritage. He underlined the administration’s awareness of the invaluable role that these institutions play in fostering the state’s growth and emphasized the necessity of aligning development projects with cultural values.
In conclusion, the governor mentioned that after the successful commissioning in Anka and Tsafe, future projects in Kaura Namoda and Moriki will follow suit, while those in Bungudu, Bukkuyum, and Zurmi remain on track for completion and official commissioning before the year concludes.
news
GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE HAILS GOVERNOR UBA SANI’S APPOINTMENT AS RENEWED HOPE AMBASSADOR
GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE HAILS GOVERNOR UBA SANI’S APPOINTMENT AS RENEWED HOPE AMBASSADOR
The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative (GCGMSI) has extended its warm congratulations to His Excellency, Mallam Uba Sani, the Executive Governor of Kaduna State, following his recent appointment as a Renewed Hope Ambassador and Deputy Director-General for Party Outreach, Engagement, and Mobilisation by the All Progressives Congress (APC).
This felicitation was formally conveyed in a statement signed by the Initiative’s Convener, Ibrahim Dahiru Danfulani, Sadaukin Garkuwan Keffi/Betara Biu, and disseminated to the press.
The statement highlighted that the Grand Patron of the GCGMSI, His Excellency General Christopher Gwabin Musa, OFR, Minister of Defence of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, received the news of the appointment with great pride but without surprise. According to the statement, General Musa expressed unwavering confidence in Governor Uba Sani’s proven capability and salient leadership qualities, affirming that the Governor is eminently equipped to deliver on every task entrusted to him.
The Grand Patron further extended profound appreciation to the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, His Excellency Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for recognising and finding Governor Uba Sani worthy of this critical national assignment. The appointment, which takes effect immediately, was made by the President in his capacity as the leader of the APC, citing the Governor’s exceptional organisational abilities and strategic acumen.
In his new role, Governor Sani is tasked with working in close collaboration with the Director-General of the Renewed Hope Ambassadors and the party hierarchy, including the National Chairman of the APC. His primary mandate is to ensure harmony, inclusiveness, and strategic coordination across all levels of the party’s mobilization and engagement architecture, a vital function for advancing the political agenda.
Demonstrating its commitment to national service and effective governance, the GCGMSI, under the direct directive of its Grand Patron, General Musa, has officially mobilised its formidable structure. The Initiative has pledged the full deployment of its extensive network, seasoned personnel, and robust operational framework to assist and support Governor Uba Sani in the successful execution of his new responsibilities.
The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative, renowned for its disciplined organisation, widespread grassroots penetration, and capacity for large-scale civic mobilisation, stands ready as a pivotal force. This move underscores the GCGMSI’s pivotal role as a key support system for national development initiatives and its unwavering dedication to fostering unity and progress under the Renewed Hope agenda.
Politics
Oyo 2027: Ajadi Says PDP Will Retain Power
Oyo 2027: Ajadi Says PDP Will Retain Power
…..Tasks PMS To Remain United, Peaceful
A leading People’s Democratic Party (PDP) governorship aspirant in Oyo State, Ambassador Olufemi Ajadi Oguntoyinbo, has urged the people of Oyo State to remain steadfast, saying they will continue to enjoy good governance because the PDP will produce the next governor in the 2027 general elections.
Ajadi, who made this known while addressing transport unions under the Park Management System (PMS) at their headquarters, New Garage, Ibadan, on Tuesday, urged the park managers to remain united and maintain the love and peace currently prevalent among them.
According to him, “My advice to the Park Managers and the commercial drivers in Oyo State is that they should continue the love and peaceful attitudes. They should remain united. They should not ‘scattelegs’.
“Don’t let anybody deceive you, remain steadfast. Let me assure you that our party, the PDP, will produce the next governor come 2027,” Ajadi said.
He said he came to the PMS headquarters to meet with transporters and park managers to inform them of his aspiration to serve the people of Oyo State as governor come 2027.
“Today I joined my people, the park managers in Oyo State, to familiarize myself with them and inform them of my intention to serve the people of Oyo State as the next governor by the Grace of God.”
On the plans for the transporters, Ajadi said he first wants to change the look of the City Cabs, which will be done in collaboration with the Park Management System.
He also plans to increase the number of Mass Transit buses and make them available in all locations of the State.
He said the Mass Transit buses will operate in partnership with the Park Managers.
Ajadi, who commended Governor Makinde on the newly established bus terminals in the State, said his government will ensure adequate usage of the facilities.age of the facilities.
-
celebrity radar - gossips6 months agoWhy Babangida’s Hilltop Home Became Nigeria’s Political “Mecca”
-
society6 months agoPower is a Loan, Not a Possession: The Sacred Duty of Planting People
-
society5 months agoReligion: Africa’s Oldest Weapon of Enslavement and the Forgotten Truth
-
news6 months agoTHE APPOINTMENT OF WASIU AYINDE BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AS AN AMBASSADOR SOUNDS EMBARRASSING

