By Ifeoma Ikem
It was all joy today at the school hall of yewande Memorial School, James Robertson road, Surulere, Lagos, As the management of the institution converge to honour one of her old students Olasubomi Iginla Aina who was recently confered with the prestigious member of the order of the British Empire (MBE) by the Queen of England.
The former student of the school Aina who was born in January 17,1978 passed out from Yewande Memorial School in 1991,before proceeding to the Anglican Girls Grammar school for her secondary education.
She later gain admission to the Obafemi Awolowo university where she bagged her first degree and founded the Organization for Youths and Women Affairs (OYWA) later metamorphosed to become light up foundation.
She was once the student union government president of the Obafemi Awolowo university a position that led her becoming the youngest focal person for the National Women’s peace group which was inaugurated by former Nigeria president Olusegun Obasanjo.
Aina was once celebrated as a “Good Samaritan “on the BBC when she was caught on camera shopping for elderly people in her local area (new Addington) in 2010.
The human right crusader now being celebrated all over the world, created the Bay of Hope (BOH) which is now a rallying point for activities raising awareness of the United Nations (UN) Rights of the child.
On January 8,2018 she started a nursery and primary school which is now running where the less privilege ones now have access to education for free, it is situated at Ikhare Island settlement in Lagos State.
She is using the light up foundation platform even the project is solely funded by her.
In a separate interview with journalists at the event, Aina said her foundation have empowered no fewer than 800 children who were released from prison had also be empowered by the foundation in different skills at Abeokuta,the Ogun State capital and over 100 of such children had also be trained in different skill in Kwara State.
According to her the goal of the foundation is to work in at least three major prison in Nigeria to rescue children whose age ranges between 12 to18 years and empower them as well as reunite them to their families.
She explained that all her exploit there is nothing she can do that will not be linked to charity”i exhitied leadership when I was in secondary school this made me to become the Head girl”,.she recalled.
While speaking to the pupils of Yewande Memorial School, she advice every student and pupils as well as the audience not to give up hope in life because it is not over until is over. “everything about me come from God I consider myself to have been enjoying sanity from God which made it possible to be celebrating here today at Yewande”.
Also speaking one of the Director of Yewande Memorial School Mrs Iyabo Smith described Aina as a wonderful lady and an aluminus of the school who have done very well in her endeavor ,received a big honour from the British monarch and Prime Minister of Britain then come back home to celebrate with the school and also motivate the pupils of the school through motivational talk based on her experiences across the globe.
Another Director of the school Architect Abimbola Ajayi said the coming home to the school by Mrs Aina to celebrate the honour was very encouraging because the honour from the British authorities is not just a national one but a global honour which have done the school to be proud of one of theirs.
Mrs Abimbola advice parents not to look at any child with levity because every child has something special in him or her that will them rise globally.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Zambia: Daily COVID-19 update 5th August 2020 August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Gambia: Daily Case Update as of 4th August 2020 August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (5th August 2020) August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 reported cases in Ethiopia (5th August 2020) August 5, 2020
- COVID-19 Situation Report for Nigeria (4 August 2020) August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Eswatini: Minister of Health Lizzie Nkosi announces four new COVID-19 deaths in Eswatini August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: The European Investment Bank (EIB) and Afreximbank direct EUR 300m of support to African COVID response August 5, 2020
- Blue Prism Positioned as a Leader in the Magic Quadrant for Robotic Process Automation Again in 2020 August 5, 2020
- Africa Oil Week’s Online Conference to Host “Somalia Licensing Round: Derisking Above Ground Factors” Session, with Address from Petroleum and Mineral Resources Minister August 5, 2020
- Chevron’s Entry into Equatorial Guinea and Cameroon Could be a Turning Point for Central Africa’s Gas Industry August 5, 2020
news5 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Uncategorized2 months ago
STOP PRESS! AJIMOBI IS NOT DEAD SAYS SPOKESMAN, BOLAJI TUNJI
Politics3 months ago
Lagos Speaker,Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa Clears The Air On Fraud Rumour
Education2 months ago
Methodist owned Wesley University owe staff up to 40 months Salaries