By Ifeoma Ikem
With just a few days to the 2019 general elections in Nigeria, Access Nigeria an umbrella body for the disabled in Nigeria has commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the franchise rights of the disabled communities in Nigeria into account.
Among the reason for the commendation is the simplification introduced by INEC to enables the blind visually impaired physically challenged to fully participate in elections of their candidates of choice.
According to Access Nigeria in a speech delivered in Lagos appreciates rally at INEC office, INEC has provided special eye glasses, for the visually impaired, braille materials for the blind and other necessary elections enabling logistics to make sure that these categories of Nigerians are not disenfranchised.
The Lagos state chairman of physically challenged person (PWD), Dare Darius, noted why it is important for PWDs to be part of electorate, saying that more than 20million persons with disabilities can have access to polling unit but Independent Electoral Commission have made it possible. ” We are physically challenged person but can effectively function fully well in the process of electioneering.
He also said that disability votes are not disable, thumbprinting does not tell whether the electorate is disabled or not. We need to study the work of political parties and their candidates to know they have good intention.
Barr Lukmon Bolarinwa,expressed satisfied for PWDs to be part of electorate since last year with this we can equally functions fully into politics
According to him, we have a greater role to play, we should not be discouraged.
Cover Of The Week
- Church leaders in eastern Africa call for urgent action on devastating locust invasion (By Fredrick Nzwili) February 20, 2020
- Belarus, Egypt sign $1m contract to make drones February 20, 2020
- Shining a spotlight on South Sudanese film: the Juba Film Festival February 20, 2020
- Crunch time as Kenya Cup & Championship playoff races heat up February 20, 2020
- USAID Director Mark Green visits Tunisia February 20, 2020
- Hunger threatens over half of the population in South Sudan February 20, 2020
- Next Steps to U.S.-Kenya Free Trade Agreement February 20, 2020
- Working with communities to end Ebola February 20, 2020
- Forces in Pantit cantonment site and civilians agree to live in peace (By Deng Mou) February 20, 2020
- New German Ambassador presents Credentials to East African Community (EAC) Secretary General February 20, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK CELEBRATES D’TIGRESS ON BACK-TO-BACK AFROBASKET CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK HAILS D’TIGRESS ON QUARTERFINAL QUALIFICATION
Sports5 months ago
Winners emerge in the 2019 Nigerian and African Freestyle Football Championship