By Ifeoma Ikem
With just a few days to the 2019 general elections in Nigeria, Access Nigeria an umbrella body for the disabled in Nigeria has commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the franchise rights of the disabled communities in Nigeria into account.
Among the reason for the commendation is the simplification introduced by INEC to enables the blind visually impaired physically challenged to fully participate in elections of their candidates of choice.
According to Access Nigeria in a speech delivered in Lagos appreciates rally at INEC office, INEC has provided special eye glasses, for the visually impaired, braille materials for the blind and other necessary elections enabling logistics to make sure that these categories of Nigerians are not disenfranchised.
The Lagos state chairman of physically challenged person (PWD), Dare Darius, noted why it is important for PWDs to be part of electorate, saying that more than 20million persons with disabilities can have access to polling unit but Independent Electoral Commission have made it possible. ” We are physically challenged person but can effectively function fully well in the process of electioneering.
He also said that disability votes are not disable, thumbprinting does not tell whether the electorate is disabled or not. We need to study the work of political parties and their candidates to know they have good intention.
Barr Lukmon Bolarinwa,expressed satisfied for PWDs to be part of electorate since last year with this we can equally functions fully into politics
According to him, we have a greater role to play, we should not be discouraged.
SANWO-OLU’S CABINET ENDS RETREATS, PLEDGES COMMITMENT TO GREATER LAGOS VISION
ABIODUN PARLEYS WITH CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS TUESDAY
PROF. BANJI AKINTOYE: THE NEW LEADER OF YORUBA NATION
Prof Banji Akintoye to address Media on Leadership Issue in Yoruba Land
TRAVEL GIANT PHEMNICK VISITS ORPHANAGE … CELEBRATES ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY IN NIGERIA
Cover Of The Week
- New push for peace in Gogrial, Tonj, Wau as area governors embark on grassroots implementation activities August 23, 2019
- Tanzania: Second journalist arrested in a month must be released unconditionally August 23, 2019
- Merck Foundation in partnership with the First Lady of Malawi launches a children story to teach children and youth family values of love and respect- The Story of Limbani and Takondwa August 23, 2019
- Facebook celebrates 'Icons of Change' from across Sub-Saharan Africa with a Youth Gathering in Accra, Ghana August 23, 2019
- Assistant Foreign Minister Chen Xiaodong Meets with Charles Kayonga, Rwandan Ambassador to Leave August 23, 2019
- UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan: Localization of conflict and unaddressed community grievances serve as barriers to sustainable peace August 23, 2019
- Alternatives to Irregular Migration: International Organization for Migration (IOM) Launches Vocational Training Programme for Gambians August 23, 2019
- Innovative Inclusive Approach to Strengthen Community Cohesion in Chad August 23, 2019
- Launch of the Advancing Economic Diversification in Ethiopia Project August 23, 2019
- School closures in West and Central Africa triple since 2017, as education comes under fire across the region August 23, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips7 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized6 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others