By Ifeoma Ikem
With just a few days to the 2019 general elections in Nigeria, Access Nigeria an umbrella body for the disabled in Nigeria has commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the franchise rights of the disabled communities in Nigeria into account.
Among the reason for the commendation is the simplification introduced by INEC to enables the blind visually impaired physically challenged to fully participate in elections of their candidates of choice.
According to Access Nigeria in a speech delivered in Lagos appreciates rally at INEC office, INEC has provided special eye glasses, for the visually impaired, braille materials for the blind and other necessary elections enabling logistics to make sure that these categories of Nigerians are not disenfranchised.
The Lagos state chairman of physically challenged person (PWD), Dare Darius, noted why it is important for PWDs to be part of electorate, saying that more than 20million persons with disabilities can have access to polling unit but Independent Electoral Commission have made it possible. ” We are physically challenged person but can effectively function fully well in the process of electioneering.
He also said that disability votes are not disable, thumbprinting does not tell whether the electorate is disabled or not. We need to study the work of political parties and their candidates to know they have good intention.
Barr Lukmon Bolarinwa,expressed satisfied for PWDs to be part of electorate since last year with this we can equally functions fully into politics
According to him, we have a greater role to play, we should not be discouraged.
Wellness HMO Again Adopts Three Women for ‘Wellness for Life’
Africa’s Global Bank, UBA is Now Available on Apple Business Chat
STRANSACT NIGERIA MERITS INTERNATIONAL ACCOUNTING GROUP (TIAG) PARTNERSHIP
Lagos Govt. to Improve funding of medical sector, …lament on brain drain
The Next Titan Season-6: Heritage Bank continues to boosts entrepreneurship among youths
Cover Of The Week
- Documentation opens doors for Kenya's stateless Shona community September 19, 2019
- Tanzania: Protect Burundians Facing Abuse September 19, 2019
- More women and children survive today than ever before – UN report September 19, 2019
- South Africa’s Former Energy Minister, Jeff Radebe appointed to reassure African counterparts September 19, 2019
- #InsideTheHustle - Why I quit my job to create Nigeria’s first food truck in the heart of the country's megacity, Lagos September 19, 2019
- The Simbas ready for Zimbabwe Sables in the last 2019 Victoria Cup Fixture September 19, 2019
- Rugby – Zambia : Local 7's Series Resumes September 19, 2019
- 16 coaches from Africa shortlisted as “Future Stars” by Arsenal and WorldRemit September 19, 2019
- Enhancing the Contribution of Innovation, Youth and Leadership in Africa and the African Diaspora September 19, 2019
- Speeding up detection to slow down Ebola: Smartphone app is game-changer for contact tracing in hotspots in the Democratic Republic of the Congo September 19, 2019
Business5 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime5 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business6 months ago
News Flash! Ecobank Wins CBN/NIBSS Award For Data Integrity
Politics4 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS