Politics
Akpabio, Akpoti-Uduaghan in War of Words Over Senate Crisis, Sexual Harassment Allegation
Akpabio, Akpoti-Uduaghan in War of Words Over Senate Crisis, Sexual Harassment Allegation
Abuja – The Senate has been thrown into turmoil as the rift between Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan of Kogi Central escalates, following her suspension and allegations of sexual harassment against the Senate President.
The controversy began two weeks ago during a heated plenary session, when Akpoti-Uduaghan objected to the relocation of her seat and declared she was not afraid of Akpabio. The tension deepened when the senator appeared on a live television program the following day, accusing Akpabio of sexual harassment. This led to her six-month suspension by the Senate, a decision widely condemned by rights groups and activists who demanded a fair hearing.
Akpabio: Natasha Fond of Traumatic, ‘Useless’ Allegations
At an event marking International Women’s Day, Akpabio dismissed the accusations, claiming that the Kogi lawmaker had a history of making baseless allegations. He suggested that her claims were linked to changes in her committee assignment and seat location.
“It was only yesterday I realised that all hell broke loose after a change of seat and committee,” Akpabio said. “This was said to have happened on December 8, 2023, a day before my birthday. From that time until now, neither I nor my wife, nor any Nigerian, nor even her husband heard anything about this issue until her committee was changed.”
He further alleged that Akpoti-Uduaghan had falsely accused others in the past, bringing unnecessary trauma to those involved. “Do you even wonder about the trauma caused to the 10th Senate and the image of the Senate with all these useless allegations?” he added.
Akpoti-Uduaghan Fights Back
Akpoti-Uduaghan rejected Akpabio’s claims and insisted on a formal investigation. Through her lawyer, Victor Giwa, she pointed out that a similar allegation of sexual harassment had previously been made against Akpabio by former Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Managing Director, Joy Nunieh.
“If Akpabio is innocent, why are there two allegations of sexual harassment against him?” Giwa questioned. “Akpabio should subject himself to an investigation instead of dismissing these claims.”
Giwa also alleged that the Senate President was manipulating legislative processes to avoid scrutiny and victimising Akpoti-Uduaghan for rejecting his advances. “Is it true that Natasha has been prevented from participating in international engagements involving senators? Is it true that she has been forced to use her funds for official trips while others have their expenses covered? These are hard facts that need to be addressed,” he said.
Despite pressure, Giwa maintained that his client would not back down from her legal battle against Akpabio. He confirmed that stakeholders, including Minister of Women Affairs and Social Welfare, Imaan Suleiman, were working to mediate the conflict, with a meeting scheduled for next week.
Senate Justifies Suspension
Amid the controversy, Senate Leader Opeyemi Bamidele clarified that Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suspension was unrelated to her allegations against Akpabio but rather due to “gross misconduct.”
Bamidele stated, “If Senator Uduaghan had strictly followed our guiding principles, the Senate would have treated her petition based on merit. But she never obeyed the established practices of the institution.”
He outlined the reasons for her suspension, which include:
- Refusing to sit in her assigned seat despite multiple pleas from the Minority Leader and senior senators.
- Speaking without being recognised by the presiding officer, violating parliamentary procedures.
- Engaging in disruptive behavior that obstructed Senate proceedings.
- Making disrespectful remarks against the Senate leadership.
- Defying and refusing to comply with the summons of the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges.
Bamidele urged the public to disregard false reports and avoid spreading politically motivated narratives about the suspension.
What’s Next?
With tensions still high, all eyes remain on the Senate and the potential outcome of a formal investigation into Akpabio’s conduct. Meanwhile, Akpoti-Uduaghan continues to push for justice, while Akpabio seeks to defend his reputation. The upcoming mediation meeting with the Women Affairs Minister may play a crucial role in determining the next steps in this political drama.
news
Journalists for Good Governance Shines Searchlight on Local Government Administration
Journalists for Good Governance Shines Searchlight on Local Government Administration
…Calls for Accountability in Nigeria’s Grassroots Governance
LAGOS, Nigeria — A civil society coalition known as Journalists for Good Governance(JGG) has intensified public debate on transparency and accountability within Nigeria’s local government system, urging media professionals, civil society actors, and citizens to hold grassroots leaders accountable.
Speaking an event in Lagos recently, the acting chairman of the society, Comrade Bunmi Obarotimi said that despite reforms such as the Supreme Court’s 2024 ruling granting financial autonomy to all 774 Local Government Areas (LGAs), systemic challenges continues to hinder effective service delivery and responsible stewardship of public funds.
“Local governments are the closest tier of government to the people — yet too often they remain the least transparent. Without civic oversight and vibrant media, promises of autonomy ring hollow.” the acting chairman said.
The Journalist for Good Governance emphasised crucial roles that journalists can play in uncovering discrepancies in council spending, flagging poor service delivery, and educating citizens on their rights. Their call comes amid wider efforts by media and civic organisations to bridge accountability gaps. The civil society initiatives had previously launched monitoring campaigns to track local government expenditures and have been quietly advocating for transparency in how public money is deployed.
The leaders of the Journalists for Good Governance (JGG) highlighted the importance of physical assessment and citizens engagement on projects to boost people’s confidence, urging local councils to adopt open data platforms and proactive information dissemination in compliance with the Freedom of Information Act. Experts say the majority of LGAs currently lack operational websites or digital portals, further limiting public scrutiny.
The Journalists for Good Governance initiative aligns with sustained advocacy by civil society groups and governance experts calling for a collective approach to strengthening democratic accountability, and has decided to engage in critical and holistic assessments of how Local Governments is being run and the impact and quality of projects they embark-on and to address deficits in transparency and public trust.
Meanwhile, some state governments have signalled support for improved community engagement. In Lagos State, authorities reiterated a commitment to enhancing community media platforms as vehicles for civic participation and accountability at the grassroots level.
The renewed spotlight on local government administration has reignited public debate over fiscal responsibility and priorities. Controversies such as the widely criticised Adamawa council chairmen’s wives trip to Istanbul — which drew public outrage for perceived misuse of public funds — underscore why watchdog groups say stronger oversight mechanisms are urgently needed at the grassroots.
Citizens and activists have welcomed the journalists’ initiative, calling for sustained media engagement that goes beyond headlines to influence policy and accountability reform.
The civic rights advocates note that real change will require robust legal frameworks, a free press, and empowered communities equipped to demand transparency at every level of governance.
As Journalists for Good Governance mobilises its members, the coming months are likely to see heightened media attention on grassroots administration — from council budgets and service delivery to the enforcement of public information laws and digital transparency initiatives.
Politics
Gov. Dauda Lawal commissions projects in Anka LGA, Commits to Sustainable Development
Gov. Dauda Lawal commissions projects in Anka LGA, Commits to Sustainable Development
The Executive Governor of Zamfara State, Dr. Dauda Lawal, has reiterated his administration’s steadfast commitment to guiding Zamfara State towards sustainable development by inaugurating and initiating a series of pivotal projects in the Anka Local Government Area.
Among the key undertakings announced are the comprehensive reconstruction and modernization of the Emir of Anka’s palace, signaling a revitalization of traditional leadership; the initiation of work on the crucial Anka–Abbare Road, which is expected to significantly improve connectivity; and the construction of a new Local Government Secretariat.
Additionally, the projects encompass the establishment of dedicated offices for the Hisbah Commission and the Community Protection Guards, alongside the reconstruction of the Safe School in Anka, emphasizing the administration’s focus on enhancing educational infrastructure.
During the commissioning event, Governor Lawal highlighted that these projects are a fulfillment of commitments made during his campaign, aimed at transforming the local landscape by improving infrastructure, stimulating economic growth, bolstering public service efficiency, and enhancing the capacities of security agencies. He called for a collective effort from the community to ensure proper maintenance of these facilities, underscoring the shared responsibility in preserving public assets.
Governor Lawal shared that similar projects have also been inaugurated in Tsafe, with plans for upcoming projects in Kaura Namoda, Moriki, Bungudu, Bukkuyum, and Zurmi, all expected to be completed and inaugurated by the year’s end. This ambitious timeline reflects the administration’s urgency in addressing the development needs of various regions within the state.
In his remarks, the governor urged residents and local traditional institutions to collaborate closely in maintaining the newly commissioned structures and supporting the overarching objectives of his administration. “I stand here in Anka today to honor our commitments to the people of Anka Local Government and all of Zamfara State. The official opening of the new palace for the ‘Sarkin Zamfaran Anka’ and the Zamfara State Council of Chiefs is a significant milestone that wraps up today’s agenda,” he stated.
Governor Lawal emphasized the strategic importance of the Anka–Abbare Road, describing it as a critical artery that will not only enhance access to remote areas but also stimulate economic activities and generate multiplier effects throughout the local economy. He articulated the necessity of providing a conducive work environment for civil servants, affirming that the new local government secretariat and dedicated offices will significantly contribute to strengthening law and order within the state.
“Education is the cornerstone of any thriving society. Our focused initiatives are oriented towards fostering a safe, secure, and supportive environment for our students. I am also proud to announce the completion and commissioning of the reconstructed SAFE School Anka today,” he remarked, reaffirming the administration’s dedication to education.
The governor further noted that the commissioning of the Emir’s Palace serves to restore the historical prominence of traditional institutions, which he regards as pivotal custodians of the region’s culture and heritage. He underlined the administration’s awareness of the invaluable role that these institutions play in fostering the state’s growth and emphasized the necessity of aligning development projects with cultural values.
In conclusion, the governor mentioned that after the successful commissioning in Anka and Tsafe, future projects in Kaura Namoda and Moriki will follow suit, while those in Bungudu, Bukkuyum, and Zurmi remain on track for completion and official commissioning before the year concludes.
news
GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE HAILS GOVERNOR UBA SANI’S APPOINTMENT AS RENEWED HOPE AMBASSADOR
GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE HAILS GOVERNOR UBA SANI’S APPOINTMENT AS RENEWED HOPE AMBASSADOR
The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative (GCGMSI) has extended its warm congratulations to His Excellency, Mallam Uba Sani, the Executive Governor of Kaduna State, following his recent appointment as a Renewed Hope Ambassador and Deputy Director-General for Party Outreach, Engagement, and Mobilisation by the All Progressives Congress (APC).
This felicitation was formally conveyed in a statement signed by the Initiative’s Convener, Ibrahim Dahiru Danfulani, Sadaukin Garkuwan Keffi/Betara Biu, and disseminated to the press.
The statement highlighted that the Grand Patron of the GCGMSI, His Excellency General Christopher Gwabin Musa, OFR, Minister of Defence of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, received the news of the appointment with great pride but without surprise. According to the statement, General Musa expressed unwavering confidence in Governor Uba Sani’s proven capability and salient leadership qualities, affirming that the Governor is eminently equipped to deliver on every task entrusted to him.
The Grand Patron further extended profound appreciation to the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, His Excellency Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for recognising and finding Governor Uba Sani worthy of this critical national assignment. The appointment, which takes effect immediately, was made by the President in his capacity as the leader of the APC, citing the Governor’s exceptional organisational abilities and strategic acumen.
In his new role, Governor Sani is tasked with working in close collaboration with the Director-General of the Renewed Hope Ambassadors and the party hierarchy, including the National Chairman of the APC. His primary mandate is to ensure harmony, inclusiveness, and strategic coordination across all levels of the party’s mobilization and engagement architecture, a vital function for advancing the political agenda.
Demonstrating its commitment to national service and effective governance, the GCGMSI, under the direct directive of its Grand Patron, General Musa, has officially mobilised its formidable structure. The Initiative has pledged the full deployment of its extensive network, seasoned personnel, and robust operational framework to assist and support Governor Uba Sani in the successful execution of his new responsibilities.
The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative, renowned for its disciplined organisation, widespread grassroots penetration, and capacity for large-scale civic mobilisation, stands ready as a pivotal force. This move underscores the GCGMSI’s pivotal role as a key support system for national development initiatives and its unwavering dedication to fostering unity and progress under the Renewed Hope agenda.
-
celebrity radar - gossips6 months agoWhy Babangida’s Hilltop Home Became Nigeria’s Political “Mecca”
-
society6 months agoPower is a Loan, Not a Possession: The Sacred Duty of Planting People
-
society5 months agoReligion: Africa’s Oldest Weapon of Enslavement and the Forgotten Truth
-
news6 months agoTHE APPOINTMENT OF WASIU AYINDE BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AS AN AMBASSADOR SOUNDS EMBARRASSING

