society
Civil Society in Edo Clears Air on Auchi Crash, Says Dangote Cement Truck Was Not at Fault
Civil Society in Edo Clears Air on Auchi Crash, Says Dangote Cement Truck Was Not at Fault
The Coalition of Edo Civil Society Organisations (CECSO) has absolved Dangote Cement of blame in the recent tragic accident along the Auchi-Okpella-Okene road, near the Omega Fire Ministry in Auchi, Etsako West LGA of Edo State, insisting that contrary to online reports, the company’s truck was not responsible for the fatal crash.
In a detailed investigative report released on Tuesday and signed by its president, Comrade James Osahon, the coalition said its independent findings aligned with police confirmation that it was a third-party cement truck, not the Dangote Cement CNG truck, that triggered the chain of events leading to the accident.
CECSO described as “malicious and mischievous” the attempt by certain groups and online platforms to hastily blame Dangote for the tragedy, stressing that such misinformation not only disrespects the dead but also undermines efforts at holding the real culprits accountable.
“After a careful on-the-ground investigation, which included visits to the accident scene and consultations with security personnel, we can authoritatively confirm that the accident was not caused by the Dangote Cement CNG truck. The evidence overwhelmingly shows that a third-party truck, loaded with cement, lost control on a slope due to suspected brake failure and rammed into other vehicles before colliding with the Dangote truck,” Osahon said.
He explained that the Dangote truck became an unfortunate victim of circumstance when it was struck on the side after the errant truck lost control, which eventually caused the Dangote vehicle to catch fire.
The coalition further reinforced its position with the official statement of the Edo State Police Command. The Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Moses Yamu, had earlier confirmed that three vehicles were involved in the accident — two trucks and a Mercedes-Benz GLK.
According to him, all three occupants of the GLK were evacuated to the hospital, where they were confirmed dead, while the Dangote truck that caught fire was later brought under control.
CECSO noted that this clear police confirmation invalidates the false narratives being pushed online, accusing some groups of deliberately seeking to “drag the name of Dangote through the mud.”
“This smear campaign is nothing but a hatchet job. We are aware that some shadowy interests are uncomfortable with the growing strides of Dangote Cement, particularly in the area of safer, cleaner CNG trucks now deployed on Nigerian roads. These individuals seize every tragedy as an opportunity to malign the company. But truth is sacred, and no amount of propaganda will change the facts,” Osahon declared.
The coalition stressed that civil society in Edo will not sit idly by while falsehood is weaponised against businesses and communities, warning that spreading misinformation in moments of tragedy only fuels public anger and diverts attention from systemic road safety lapses that truly require urgent solutions.
“We must not allow reckless narratives to overshadow the core issues of road safety, vehicle maintenance, and stronger regulation of third-party transport operators. What happened in Auchi is tragic, but blaming the wrong party will not bring back the lives lost or prevent future accidents,” CECSO declared.
The group also commiserated with families of the deceased and urged government agencies to fast-track road safety reforms, including stricter enforcement of haulage vehicle standards to reduce accidents caused by brake failure and poor vehicle maintenance.
Reaffirming its commitment to transparency and accountability, CECSO said it would continue to monitor the case to ensure that the victims receive justice and that accurate information reaches the public.
“We stand with the truth, and the truth is simple: Dangote Cement did not cause this accident. Any report suggesting otherwise is false, misleading, and driven by ulterior motives. We urge Nigerians to ignore such fake news and focus on demanding stronger road safety reforms. Our coalition remains committed to speaking truth to power and defending the integrity of our communities,” Osahon concluded.
society
Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity
Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity
In a major boost to the fight against banditry and insecurity in Zamfara State and the North-West Zone, Zamfara State Governor, His Excellency, Dr Dauda Lawal, on Wednesday commissioned 25 new Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and sets of surveillance drones for the military and other security agencies operating in the state.
The event, which took place in Gusau, was part of the state government’s ongoing effort to provide structured logistical support to frontline security forces and combat insurgency, banditry, and protect lives and properties. Speaking at the commissioning and handover, Governor Lawal emphasised that the new assets are intended to enhance troop protection during high-risk deployments and improve rapid response capabilities in remote communities, ensuring tactical battle and overhead surveillance for victory.
“We have provided over 600 specialised motorcycles, 150 Hilux vehicles, and 20 Buffalo vehicles to our security forces. These 25 highly sophisticated APCs being commissioned today are therefore part of a broader reform to improve response to security threats. The APC’s significantly improves troop protection during deployments into high-risk areas. They reduce vulnerability during patrols, support convoy security along major routes, and strengthen rapid response capability when distress calls arise from remote communities.” the Governor stated.
Governor Lawal explained that the security challenges of recent years had disrupted farming, limited trade, and undermined public confidence across the state. He noted that his administration’s “Rescue Mission” agenda has focused on moving from fragmented responses to structured reforms, including the establishment of a Zamfara State Security Trust Fund and the operationalisation of Community Protection Guards to improve grassroots intelligence.
The Governor specifically highlighted the importance of integrating modern technology into security operations. He noted that the newly acquired drones would expand aerial surveillance, improve situational awareness, and support better coordination between command centres and troops in the field.
“Real-time information strengthens decision-making and reduces operational blind spots,” he added.
Governor Lawal however acknowledged the critical role of the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, noting that recent federal budgets have allocated over three trillion naira to defence, a commitment he said strengthens subnational stabilisation efforts.
He urged the military commanders and personnel receiving the equipment to ensure disciplined maintenance and intelligence-guided deployment. “Enhancing your safety enhances the safety of our communities,” he told the troops.
Governor Lawal also told the people of Zamfara that; his administration remains resolute in restoring enduring security and peace across every Local Government Area. “We will sustain preventive measures, strengthen patrol architecture in rural corridors, deepen inter-state intelligence collaboration across the North-West, and maintain fiscal prudence in security expenditure. Stabilisation will continue through structured planning, lawful enforcement, and institutional reform.”
The Governor also linked the security investment to economic recovery, stressing that stability in rural areas is essential for agricultural productivity, market activity, and food security.
The event was attended by the Honourable Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (Rtd.), who formally commissioned the assets for operational service. Governor Lawal reaffirmed his administration’s resolve to sustain preventive measures and inter-state security collaboration until lasting peace is restored across all Local Government Areas in Zamfara.
society
Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria
Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria
A leading governorship aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo State, Ambassador Olufemi Ajadi Oguntoyinbo, has extended warm felicitations to Muslims and Christians on the simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent.
Ramadan, the Islamic holy month marked by 30 days of fasting and spiritual devotion, and Lent, the 40-day Christian season of fasting and reflection, began on the same day — a development Ajadi described as symbolic and spiritually significant.
In a statement personally signed by him on Wednesday, Ajadi congratulated adherents of both faiths and called for sustained religious tolerance, unity, and peaceful coexistence across the state and the country at large.
He described the coincidence in the commencement dates as a reminder of shared values between Islam and Christianity.
“The simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent is a divine reminder that we all worship the same Almighty God. It is a call for unity, love, and mutual understanding among us,” he stated.
Ajadi urged Muslims and Christians to use the sacred periods of fasting and spiritual purification to pray fervently for Nigeria, especially in view of the nation’s economic and security challenges.
“Our country is facing significant hardship. The economic difficulties and prevailing insecurity require sincere prayers. This season of spiritual purification offers us a unique opportunity to seek God’s intervention for our nation,” he said.
He further emphasized that both Islam and Christianity preach peace, tolerance, and respect for constituted authority, urging citizens to embody these teachings in their daily lives.
“Let us live peacefully, tolerate one another, and continue to pray for those in leadership. Our faiths teach us to respect and uphold our leaders in prayer,” Ajadi added.
The PDP chieftain concluded by wishing Muslims a spiritually fulfilling Ramadan and Christians a reflective and enriching Lenten season, encouraging both communities to embrace love, sacrifice, and harmonious living throughout the sacred periods.
society
Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation
Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation
By George Omagbemi Sylvester | Published by SaharaWeeklyNG
“At State House Tafsir in Abuja, President urges unity, tolerance, and prayers for stability as he reaffirms commitment to tackling Nigeria’s economic and security challenges.”
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appealed to Nigerians for forgiveness over any perceived wrongdoing, urging citizens to embrace reconciliation and unity during the holy month of Ramadan.
Speaking during a Ramadan Tafsir held at the State House in Abuja, the President said, “If I have sinned against you, forgive me as Nigerians,” stressing the importance of forgiveness, tolerance, and national cohesion.
Tinubu noted that Ramadan represents a period of spiritual reflection, self-discipline, and compassion, calling on Nigerians to use the season to promote peace and mutual understanding across religious and ethnic divides.
The President also encouraged citizens to pray for the nation’s stability and progress, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to addressing economic and security challenges facing the country.
The Ramadan Tafsir, an annual religious gathering attended by government officials, Islamic scholars, and dignitaries, forms part of activities marking the fasting period observed by Muslims worldwide.
-
celebrity radar - gossips6 months agoWhy Babangida’s Hilltop Home Became Nigeria’s Political “Mecca”
-
society6 months agoPower is a Loan, Not a Possession: The Sacred Duty of Planting People
-
society5 months agoReligion: Africa’s Oldest Weapon of Enslavement and the Forgotten Truth
-
news6 months agoTHE APPOINTMENT OF WASIU AYINDE BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AS AN AMBASSADOR SOUNDS EMBARRASSING

