The Lagos State Government has urged occupants of marked distressed buildings across the State to immediately vacate them pending the arrival of the demolition team of Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA).
Also, relief and resettlement centres have been opened to accommodate those affected.
Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Prince Rotimi Ogunleye made the appeal just as a distressed three-storey building located on 50, Kakawa Street, Campos, Lagos Island collapsed on Monday without any casualty.
Ogunleye said, “The building in question had been identified as distressed by the officers of the LASBCA and all the necessary statutory notices had been duly served. It was one of the defective structures marked for removal by the Agency.
“Fortunately, occupants had been evacuated before the incidents occurred. Immediately, the Lagos State Rescue Team and LASBCA were alerted and they moved to site promptly to check all adjoining buildings so as to evacuate the occupants to avoid any further hazards.”
Already 25 buildings have been removed by LASBCA as the Government has stepped up measures to rid the State of distressed buildings so as to prevent loss of lives and property due to sudden collapse in the State.
ASST. DIRECTOR, PUBLIC AFFAIRS
MINISTRY OF PHYSICAL PLANNING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
Cover Of The Week
- Minister Shahid sends National Day greetings to the Foreign Minister of The Gambia February 19, 2020
- Cameroon: Minister for Africa calls for restraint and dialogue following violence February 19, 2020
- International Conference on the Implementation of Land Information Systems February 19, 2020
- First major group of Ethiopian refugees return home from Kenya February 19, 2020
- A new Partnership, “Prospects” changes the ways of supporting displaced groups and their host communities in Sudan February 19, 2020
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) strongly condemns Burkina Faso church attack February 19, 2020
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Calls on the International Community for Urgent Action to Find Alternatives to Disembarkation in Libya February 19, 2020
- EAC hosts the 30th New Partnership for Africa’s Development Infrastructure Project Preparation Facility (NEPAD-IPPF) Oversight Committee in Arusha February 19, 2020
- Africa Women Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum (AWIEF) marks International Women’s Day in Nigeria with key event February 19, 2020
- Maha Zaoui: 'We are going to build something special in Africa' February 19, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK CELEBRATES D’TIGRESS ON BACK-TO-BACK AFROBASKET CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY
Sports6 months ago
ZENITH BANK HAILS D’TIGRESS ON QUARTERFINAL QUALIFICATION
Sports5 months ago
Winners emerge in the 2019 Nigerian and African Freestyle Football Championship