Connect with us

society

Dr. Ope Banwo Speaks On Transitioning Naija Lives Matter Organization To Non-Partisan Mode

Published

on

Dr. Ope Banwo Speaks On Transitioning
Naija Lives Matter Organization To Non-Partisan Mode

***Says Organization Will Now Focus On Projects To Improve Nigerian Lives

 

 

 

 

Dr. Ope Banwo, the founder of Naija Lives Matter (NLM), a non-governmental organization committed to better lives for Nigerians has explained the organization’s decision to refocus its priorities.

 

 

 

 

In a statement released on Tuesday, Dr. Banwo stated that the organization’s mission and goals extend beyound the 2023 elections, electioneering campaigns, and politics.

 

 

 

 

According to him, the process of the organization had been clearly communicated from its very beginning to avoid any accusations of opportunism or policy inconsistencies, which are unfortunately common in our country when disagreements arise.

 

 

 

 

He said; “Since 2011, the NLM organization has consistently de-emphasized its partisan support for any specific candidate after the elections and campaigns are over, enabling it to concentrate on its global mandate of making Naija lives matter to all Nigerians, irrespective of their political affiliations.

 

 

 

 

“When Naija Lives Matter endorsed Peter Obi as our chosen candidate in August 2022, we made it clear that our partisan involvement would solely extend until the conclusion of the elections. Subsequently, we would focus on other aspects of our mission and goals, for which our organization was founded in 2011.

 

 

 

 

“In the past, we supported Jonathan through the GEJ project, rallied behind Buhari through the Buhari4Naija project in 2015, and even had a Moghalu4Naija project before eventually endorsing Peter Obi for the 2023 elections.

 

 

 

 

“Our commitment is not irreversibly tied to any particular politician; it lies in what we believe is in the best interest of Nigeria and its people,” Dr. Banwo said.

 

 

 

With the transition, NLM now moves beyond the recent election cycle, with a current focus on organizing projects aimed at making the lives of all Nigerians better.

 

 

 

 

“Henceforth, we shall therefore leave the legal and political affairs to lawyers and politicians, and respect the decisions of the courts, whatever they may be.

 

 

 

“In alignment with our mandate and the previously declared engagement period for the 2023 elections, we hereby inform our members that Naija Lives Matter will now shift its focus towards other aspects of our charter such as mass non-partisan mobilization on national issues, youth empowerment training, workshops, community assistance services for the less privileged in Nigeria, and other activities.

 

 

 

 

“In light of this new direction, we will convene meetings with our state directors and cell leaders to announce additional NLM initiatives that extend beyond politics in the coming days. These initiatives will focus on non-partisan national mobilization, youth empowerment through training and workshops, and community-building responsibilities.

 

 

 

“All our threads on WhatsApp and other social media platforms will once again be dedicated to NLM as we officially conclude the Peter Obi Nation Project for the 2023 elections,” Dr. Banwo noted.

 

 

 

Thanking members of the Peter Obi Nation Project of the NLM organization for their tremendous efforts during the 2023 elections, Dr. Banwo said that together they fought valiantly in a highly contested electoral process, adding that together they gave as much as they got in the very bitter partisan electioneering campaign for the organization’s endorsed candidate, Peter Obi.

 

 

“We did not compromise and many of us even paid the price of alienating some of our long-term friends in the heat of partisan battle.

 

 

 

“To this end, I am immensely proud of every individual involved in this monumental battle, and it has been an honor serving as the Chief Vawolence Officer for Naija Lives Matter side of things during this 2923 election cycle. We also offer No apologies for our passionate campaign for what we passionately believed in. It was what it was.

Acknowledging the fact that many individuals who joined NLM’s special Peter Obi Nation Project were primarily interested in supporting the Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate, and may not share NLM”s broader mandate and NGO charter, Dr. Banwo said that the organization would understand if those solely focused on partisan politics choose to disassociate themselves from the NLM organization across it numerous groups and threads, adding that the organizational continuity transcends any single election cycle.

“To be clear, this pivot by NLM does not mean we no longer support Peter Obi. We continue to stand behind his 2023 mandate which we believed in, wholeheartedly. Nevertheless, our organization was not established solely for this election cycle. We have followed the same refocusing approach after the elections in 2011 and 2015. Although the intensity of this cycle was undeniable, our policy remains intact.

“We hope that our fellow compatriots engaged in the highly intense campaign for 2023 will understand and respect our decision to shift away from combative partisan politics at this juncture. Instead, we aim to engage the Tinubu government in a non-partisan yet critical manner, reminding them of their promises and holding them accountable. Should the courts later remove him from office, we will also celebrate. But for now, we have a country to assist in governance.”

 

Dr. Ope Banwo Speaks On Transitioning
Naija Lives Matter Organization To Non-Partisan Mode

society

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

Published

on

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

 

 

In a major boost to the fight against banditry and insecurity in Zamfara State and the North-West Zone, Zamfara State Governor, His Excellency, Dr Dauda Lawal, on Wednesday commissioned 25 new Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and sets of surveillance drones for the military and other security agencies operating in the state.

 

The event, which took place in Gusau, was part of the state government’s ongoing effort to provide structured logistical support to frontline security forces and combat insurgency, banditry, and protect lives and properties. Speaking at the commissioning and handover, Governor Lawal emphasised that the new assets are intended to enhance troop protection during high-risk deployments and improve rapid response capabilities in remote communities, ensuring tactical battle and overhead surveillance for victory.

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

“We have provided over 600 specialised motorcycles, 150 Hilux vehicles, and 20 Buffalo vehicles to our security forces. These 25 highly sophisticated APCs being commissioned today are therefore part of a broader reform to improve response to security threats. The APC’s significantly improves troop protection during deployments into high-risk areas. They reduce vulnerability during patrols, support convoy security along major routes, and strengthen rapid response capability when distress calls arise from remote communities.” the Governor stated.

 

Governor Lawal explained that the security challenges of recent years had disrupted farming, limited trade, and undermined public confidence across the state. He noted that his administration’s “Rescue Mission” agenda has focused on moving from fragmented responses to structured reforms, including the establishment of a Zamfara State Security Trust Fund and the operationalisation of Community Protection Guards to improve grassroots intelligence.

 

The Governor specifically highlighted the importance of integrating modern technology into security operations. He noted that the newly acquired drones would expand aerial surveillance, improve situational awareness, and support better coordination between command centres and troops in the field.

 

“Real-time information strengthens decision-making and reduces operational blind spots,” he added.

 

Governor Lawal however acknowledged the critical role of the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, noting that recent federal budgets have allocated over three trillion naira to defence, a commitment he said strengthens subnational stabilisation efforts.

 

He urged the military commanders and personnel receiving the equipment to ensure disciplined maintenance and intelligence-guided deployment. “Enhancing your safety enhances the safety of our communities,” he told the troops.

 

Governor Lawal also told the people of Zamfara that; his administration remains resolute in restoring enduring security and peace across every Local Government Area. “We will sustain preventive measures, strengthen patrol architecture in rural corridors, deepen inter-state intelligence collaboration across the North-West, and maintain fiscal prudence in security expenditure. Stabilisation will continue through structured planning, lawful enforcement, and institutional reform.”

 

The Governor also linked the security investment to economic recovery, stressing that stability in rural areas is essential for agricultural productivity, market activity, and food security.

 

The event was attended by the Honourable Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (Rtd.), who formally commissioned the assets for operational service. Governor Lawal reaffirmed his administration’s resolve to sustain preventive measures and inter-state security collaboration until lasting peace is restored across all Local Government Areas in Zamfara.

Continue Reading

society

Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria

Published

on

Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria

 

A leading governorship aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo State, Ambassador Olufemi Ajadi Oguntoyinbo, has extended warm felicitations to Muslims and Christians on the simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent.

Ramadan, the Islamic holy month marked by 30 days of fasting and spiritual devotion, and Lent, the 40-day Christian season of fasting and reflection, began on the same day — a development Ajadi described as symbolic and spiritually significant.

In a statement personally signed by him on Wednesday, Ajadi congratulated adherents of both faiths and called for sustained religious tolerance, unity, and peaceful coexistence across the state and the country at large.

He described the coincidence in the commencement dates as a reminder of shared values between Islam and Christianity.

“The simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent is a divine reminder that we all worship the same Almighty God. It is a call for unity, love, and mutual understanding among us,” he stated.

Ajadi urged Muslims and Christians to use the sacred periods of fasting and spiritual purification to pray fervently for Nigeria, especially in view of the nation’s economic and security challenges.

“Our country is facing significant hardship. The economic difficulties and prevailing insecurity require sincere prayers. This season of spiritual purification offers us a unique opportunity to seek God’s intervention for our nation,” he said.

He further emphasized that both Islam and Christianity preach peace, tolerance, and respect for constituted authority, urging citizens to embody these teachings in their daily lives.

“Let us live peacefully, tolerate one another, and continue to pray for those in leadership. Our faiths teach us to respect and uphold our leaders in prayer,” Ajadi added.

The PDP chieftain concluded by wishing Muslims a spiritually fulfilling Ramadan and Christians a reflective and enriching Lenten season, encouraging both communities to embrace love, sacrifice, and harmonious living throughout the sacred periods.

Continue Reading

society

Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation

Published

on

Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation

By George Omagbemi Sylvester | Published by SaharaWeeklyNG

“At State House Tafsir in Abuja, President urges unity, tolerance, and prayers for stability as he reaffirms commitment to tackling Nigeria’s economic and security challenges.”

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appealed to Nigerians for forgiveness over any perceived wrongdoing, urging citizens to embrace reconciliation and unity during the holy month of Ramadan.

Speaking during a Ramadan Tafsir held at the State House in Abuja, the President said, “If I have sinned against you, forgive me as Nigerians,” stressing the importance of forgiveness, tolerance, and national cohesion.

Tinubu noted that Ramadan represents a period of spiritual reflection, self-discipline, and compassion, calling on Nigerians to use the season to promote peace and mutual understanding across religious and ethnic divides.

The President also encouraged citizens to pray for the nation’s stability and progress, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to addressing economic and security challenges facing the country.

The Ramadan Tafsir, an annual religious gathering attended by government officials, Islamic scholars, and dignitaries, forms part of activities marking the fasting period observed by Muslims worldwide.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending