The Labour Party (LP), again lost its bid to seek cancellation of the March 9 gubernatorial election in Ogun State on Saturday.
The Tribunal led by Justice Yusuf Halidu dismissed the matter while delivering verdict on Petition No EPT/OG/GOV/03/2019 BTW MRS MODUPE SANYAOLU LABOUR PARTY VS DAPO ABIODUN, APC & INEC.
According to the Tribunal the case stands dismissed on the ground that the tribunal had dismissed the Petition pursuant to the provisions of paragraph 46(3) of the Schedule to the Electoral Act, 2010 as amended.
The petitioners had failed to attend the hearing of the Petition initially filed.
Justice Halilu then ruled that it lacked jurisdiction to reverse itself by re-listing the Petition.
According to Wale Habeeb Ajayi, counsel to Governor Dapo Abiodun, “the Petition was dead on arrival. The labour party which did not submit the details of the Deputy Governorship candidate to INEC failed to raise any complaint before the election and failed to sue INEC before election now brought a pre election matter before the tribunal.
They also failed to appear at the tribunal on the date fixed for hearing of the frivolous petition on unfounded excuses. The tribunal has done the needful by dismissing the Petition in the first instance. Consequently, the application to relist lacks merits and tribunal rightly refused same.”
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Ogun State
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Egypt: U.S. donates ventilators to support Egypt's COVID-19 response, strengthen intensive care unit (ICU) capacity August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus: On International Day, UN chief spotlights indigenous peoples’ resilience in face of COVID-19 pandemic August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 9 August 2020, 6 pm EAT August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus - Liberia: U.S. Embassy Monrovia Update August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: Health Alert, New Lockdown Restrictions, and Commercial Flights August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus - Uganda: “I wish I could have some magic, I would just say let schools open right away" - Twelve-year-old Alex Abigail, Congolese refugee in Uganda August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: Update COVID-19 (8 August 2020) August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Digital Birth Registrations August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus: Somalia responds swiftly to measles outbreak in Jubaland State August 9, 2020
- Coronavirus: South Africa in line for first ever digital census August 9, 2020
news5 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Uncategorized2 months ago
STOP PRESS! AJIMOBI IS NOT DEAD SAYS SPOKESMAN, BOLAJI TUNJI
Politics3 months ago
Lagos Speaker,Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa Clears The Air On Fraud Rumour
Education2 months ago
Methodist owned Wesley University owe staff up to 40 months Salaries