Independent National Electoral Commission through the Oyo State Resident Electoral Commissioner Barrister Mutiu Agboke has declared that henceforth no one would be allowed to come to public office through the power of gun or manipulation. The declaration of zero tolerance against electoral misconduct was made during the commission’s end of the year party held in Ibadan recently.
According to him, “INEC would continue to sustain the provision of level plain ground for all parties and candidates in any election, when we allow due process to take place in our system, it will bring about natural peace, the security personnel will do less job, but where you allow a disorganized election or manipulated process to be the source of bringing somebody into public office, such a system will be a recipe for rest, for chaos and for various insurrections”.
The activities surrounding the conduct of elections in the country should continue to be guided by the 1999 constitution of federal government as amended as well as 2010 electoral act as amended, “I came to Oyo State we took oath and stood by it, I assure the people of the state that their votes would be counted, I told my staff that our job is to make sure that peoples votes are counted, they were forced to work according to my mindset and my mindset is to make sure that people’s votes are counted.” He said.
He further declared that the conduct of election in the country should follow due process, “I can say without fear that the results of election we announced during the last elections is the true reflections of the wishes and desire of the people of Oyo State which the Supreme court has confirmed through its recent judgment on the governorship election in the state.”
The Oyo State REC in his seasons greeting message, advised that good governance should not be left in the hands of political leaders and other stakeholders in the electioneering process but rather active participation of all and sundry is also key to the development of the country’s democracy.
Cover Of The Week
- Secretary-General appoints Lieutenant General Daniel Sidiki Traoré of Burkina Faso as Force Commander of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic January 22, 2020
- Talented squad named for South Africa (SA) Rugby Academy alignment camp January 22, 2020
- Minister hails UK-Morocco future January 22, 2020
- UK aid contributes £3 million to help feed Burundian refugees in Rwanda January 22, 2020
- UK-Africa Investment Summit 2020: an important year for UK-Rwanda relations January 22, 2020
- The largest global conference on urbanization to meet for first time in Arab region January 22, 2020
- Raising banks’ Loan to Deposit Ratio while minimising risk January 22, 2020
- Canon to bring its imaging expertise to Expo 2020 Dubai as Official Printing and Imaging Provider January 22, 2020
- Prequalification for Environmental Audit of Oilfields extended January 22, 2020
- Challenge accepted – Stedman Gans January 22, 2020
Sports6 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria