Despite several cuts and tweaks to its business model and structure, it appears all is not still well with Jumia.
This is because, after two years of pressure and record losses, Jumia said it losses rose beyond forecast for the full year 2017
Jumia, Africa’s largest eCommerce company said it made a net loss of N53.3 billion for the full financial year of 2017. This is a major negative and huge difference compared to N40.5 billion reported in 2016.
Full-year revenue for Jumia came in at EUR93.8 million compared to EUR89 million reported in 2016.
There are various sides to this result and the more we look at the company’s summary result released by Rocket Internet, its parent company, the more we see more signs of worry for Jumia going forward.
Various structural changes have been applied to the business model of Jumia in the last three years. On August 30, 2016 Africa eCommerce Holding GmbH, the holding company of Jumia, was merged into Africa Internet Holding GmbH (formerly trading under Africa Internet Group).
In its usual flowery comment, Rocket Internet said in its official statement that:
In June 2016, all business models of Africa Internet Group were renamed under the Jumia brand.
It is now very clear that Rocket Internet plans to sell off the company via an IPO was a sound decision given the fact that after five years, there are no signs that Jumia would break-even before it caves-in.
Konga, Jumia’s arch-rival has also witnessed its near-end before it was sold to Zinox Group for undisclosed amounts.
While Kinnevik and Naspers have not disclosed the terms of the transactions, there are feelers that the company was sold for a ridiculously low amount with up to 99% loss on equity.
Ogun Election Tribunal: Abiodun Never Admitted Irregularities in His Election
FULL LIST OF COMMISSIONERS AND SPECIAL ADVISERS APPOINTED BY GOVERNOR BABAJIDE SANWO-OLU
OUR PPP INITIATIVE YIELDING RESULTS, SAY GOV. ABIODUN
EFCC SEARCH: NO CAUSE FOR ALARM, SAYS AMBODE
TRANSACT WITHOUT BORDERS WITH THE FIRSTBANK VERVE GLOBAL CARD
Cover Of The Week
- France-Ghana Cooperation: Education, Higher Education and French language August 20, 2019
- Joint European Union (EU)-US Statement on Recent Electoral Violence in Montserrado County August 20, 2019
- UAE Embassy hosts roundtable meeting on tolerance in Ethiopia August 20, 2019
- Ghana Statistics visits Denmark to exchange knowhow on data collection August 20, 2019
- A pitstop on the road to climate resilience in Liberia August 20, 2019
- Deadly airstrikes and drone hits displace thousands of civilians in Libya oasis town August 20, 2019
- UNMISS-supported centre set to empower women in Wau August 20, 2019
- Wood-saving cookstoves are helping Zambia cut forest loss August 20, 2019
- Equatorial Guinea to build West Africa’s first Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) storage and regas plant August 20, 2019
- German Expertise is Behind West Africa’s First LNG Storage and Regasification Plant August 20, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized6 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business4 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime4 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others