LG Election: Speaker Obasa votes, says democracy has come to stay
SaharaWeeklyNG Reports That Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. (Dr) Mudashiru Obasa has said the local government election held in Lagos on Saturday is a confirmation that Nigeria’s democracy has come to stay.
Obasa said this at Unit 19, Ward 005, Oluwole Olaniyan Street in the Agege area of the state.
Obasa also commended the voters, the security agencies, and the officials of the Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission (LASIEC) for the peaceful conduct of the election.
According to the Speaker, beyond the apathy of the voters, the peaceful conduct of the exercise shows that democracy has become more entrenched in the minds of the people of the state.
“From the information, we have gathered so far from our people on the field, we do not doubt that we would be victorious. It is a peaceful exercise and we are expecting reports from our other colleagues monitoring the election in other parts of the state.
“So far, there is no report of violence and we are happy with what we are seeing,” he said.
Concerning the turnout of voters, he said more enlightenment of the residents is needed to make them see reasons why they should participate in the election of people into offices to represent their interests.
He called on civil society to intensify efforts to educate the people on the importance of elections.
Cover Of The Week
- Nearly 1 in 2 South African households is subscribed to SVOD September 21, 2021
- Recent political and community leaders retreat in Greater Pibor tackles issue of child marriages September 20, 2021
- Liberia: Ministry of Health, Consortium on Newborn Screening in Africa (CONSA) Launch Newborn Screening for Sickle Cell Disease In Liberia September 20, 2021
- Liberia: Ministry of Health, Liberia Board for Nursing and Midwifery (LBNM) Launch Digital Online Licensing Examinations System September 20, 2021
- Equatorial Guinea Secretary of State of Planning Will Lead a Strong Finance Delegation to African Energy Week in Cape Town September 20, 2021
- Prime Minister of Uganda Meets Ambassador of Qatar September 20, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 Statistics Daily Status Update (20 September 2021) September 20, 2021
- Coronavirus - South Africa: New COVID-19 Infections on a Downward Trend September 20, 2021
- The Visit of the Indonesian Consul General to Cape Town at The Cape Town Port for Life Skills Activities September 20, 2021
- Djibouti Signs its First Country Programme Framework (CPF) for 2022-2027 September 20, 2021
Fashion/Lifestyle5 months ago
How To Make a Girl Horny Fast – 9 Easy Tricks
Politics7 months ago
EKITI 2022:MAKING A CASE FOR A NEW FACE WITH NEW IDEAS IN STATE GOVERNANCE
celebrity radar - gossips7 months ago
Otunba Kehinde Oloyede is Bereaved!
Fashion/Lifestyle7 months ago
Rotary Recognizes exemplary youths across Nigeria