By ifeoma ikem
Market Leaders and Traders Association of Nigeria, Lagos State Chapter, listed multiple taxation/levies by government agencies and molestation by law enforcement and paramilitary agents as recurring problems affecting the trading community.
President of the Lagos Chapter, Mr Christopher Okpala, cited the issues the association commemorated the First ever International Traders Day and held its Annual Business Award in Lagos.
He said that incessant market closure by various levels of government, incursions of foreigners in the local market, unfriendly business environment and unfriendly policies by financial institutions were other challenges faced by the traders.
There is also poor infrastructure in our markets.It is our hope, that all government officials present and our partners will assist in tackling the above issues.
The Annual Business Award is held every four years, during which some members of the sector are recognised for their contribution to the growth of commerce industry.
The declaration of International Traders Day was long overdue.
“In the trading community, a day should be set aside annually to celebrate the contribution of traders and the trading community (commerce sector) in the growth and development of all aspects of our national life.
“This is bearing in mind that the sector is the third highest contributor to the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), taking after the petroleum and agricultural sector.
“It will also be a day to discuss and proffer solutions to the many problems bedeviling this all-important sector that also is no doubt the highest employer of labour in the country.
“As we declare this day Oct. 31 as the annual International Traders Day, we encourage all traders in the house to enter it in their yearly diary.
“They should spread the news to all traders and market persons that today has become a day with history, in the entire trading community across Nigeria.’’
Okpala canvassed that Oct. 31 be observed internationally as International Trader’s Day and that all policy makers in Nigeria take cognaissance it.
The association leader said members who were being recognised were in two categories -award for the Trading Community and Models of Excellence Award.
According to him, the awards are based purely on merit and not based on one’s fat bank account.
Mr Nnamdi Obiefuna, the Immediate Past President of Association of Stationary and Computers Dealers Association of Nigeria (ASCODAN), urged the government to create a more enabling environment for business to be done in the country.
He also called on the government to put measures in place to ensure that loans are given with low interest.
Speaking chairman of the occasion, Ononugbo Alfred, corporate brand excecutive of Bell Ltd protocol/security support services, have advised federal government to provide raw materials for local manufacturer with a view to boost the economy.
I wil commend president Muhumadu Buhari for border closure because Nigeria has become a dumping ground,but with this I will give him hundred percent kudo.
I will also advised the president to look into government officials going to oversea for treatment and sending their children out of the country for education, it can help to improve the nation economy
Lagos State Task Force Assault and Teargas Journalist
Fly better on Emirates and discover dazzling Dubai
Friends, Political Associates of Akeredolu’s Cabinet Members Appointed As Sen. Ajayi Borofice’s Aides
WIMBIZ recorded more than 2,000 attendees for the two-day conference
THE HUMILIATION OF THE VILLA FIEND
Cover Of The Week
- Ecobank signs up to The United Nations Environment Programme’s Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) Principles for Responsible Banking November 13, 2019
- U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) and African Development Bank partner to Support Development in Africa November 13, 2019
- WHO prequalifies Ebola vaccine, paving the way for its use in high-risk countries November 13, 2019
- U.S. provides Financing to Tetra4 to develop Energy Infrastructure in South Africa November 13, 2019
- Continental championship Rugby Africa Cup 2020 season starts with new spectator experience November 13, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) Ethiopia Rolls Out Community-Based Planning for Displacement Affected Communities in Somali Region November 12, 2019
- In the Face of Uncertainty, Residents of Aweil Remain Hopeful of Unity November 12, 2019
- Water Systems Completed in Uganda Refugee Settlements with European Union (EU), United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) Support November 12, 2019
- USA Supports Ghana to Advance and Strengthen Community-level Health Service Delivery November 12, 2019
- Africa Investment Forum: Family businesses - an underestimated economic driving force November 12, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews5 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports4 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today