society
Group Demands Full Asset Disclosure from NMDPRA CEO Farouk Ahmed Over Lifestyle, Property Acquisitions
Group Demands Full Asset Disclosure from NMDPRA CEO Farouk Ahmed Over Lifestyle, Property Acquisitions
A civil society organisation, the Coalition for Social Accountability and Fiscal Justice (CSAFJ), has called on the Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA), Engr. Farouk Ahmed, to publicly disclose his full asset portfolio, citing glaring discrepancies between his known income as a civil servant and his alleged property and luxury acquisitions within and outside Nigeria.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Saturday and signed by the group’s president, Barr. Nafisat Bako Waziri, the CSAFJ said it was deeply concerned about “emerging patterns of opulence” associated with Ahmed and members of his immediate family.
The group’s intervention follows recent national outrage over revelations that Ahmed allegedly spent more than $5.5 million on his children’s private education in elite international schools. While the outrage around the tuition expenses has not been addressed transparently, CSAFJ said its concern extended beyond schooling.
“New information obtained from public sources and whistleblowers strongly suggests that the NMDPRA boss may be linked to multiple high-value properties in Abuja, Lagos, and Dubai,” the statement read.
“We are asking a simple question: How did a career civil servant, who has never operated a known business or held a major private-sector role, come to own mansions in Maitama, waterfront apartments in Ikoyi, and is allegedly linked to a serviced penthouse in Dubai Marina? Let him show us the trail.”
According to the group, the continued silence from the NMDPRA and lack of institutional response from the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) only deepens public suspicion.
Barr. Waziri noted that Ahmed’s defence so far had leaned on vague appeals to integrity, rather than clear, document-backed responses about the funding sources for his lifestyle.
“In a democracy, public office is a public trust. Nobody is accusing Engr. Farouk Ahmed of guilt without evidence. We are simply saying: justify the wealth. The Code of Conduct Bureau exists to scrutinise such scenarios—when lifestyles balloon far beyond salaries,” she added.
The group further expressed worry that NMDPRA has issued no clarification on whether its own internal compliance frameworks had flagged or queried the CEO’s expenditures and asset declarations.
“It is embarrassing that in a sector where transparency and regulatory integrity are critical to investor confidence, the head of the key agency is at the centre of such a scandal—and yet carries on without any official inquiry,” the group said.
CSAFJ warned that the case could quickly erode public confidence in the petroleum regulatory architecture if not swiftly addressed. The group also questioned whether Ahmed’s influence within the corridors of power is shielding him from scrutiny.
“This country cannot have two sets of rules—one for the powerful, and another for the poor. If Betta Edu was suspended for administrative infractions, and Babachir Lawal was removed over graft allegations, why is Farouk Ahmed still in office amid such damning revelations?” the group asked.
They called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to demonstrate consistency in his anti-corruption stance by mandating the relevant agencies to audit Ahmed’s asset declarations, both before and after his appointment as CEO of NMDPRA.
“We urge Mr. President to act decisively. If Ahmed is innocent, an independent probe will clear his name. But continued silence sends the wrong signal to Nigerians and to the global community watching our governance standards,” CSAFJ said.
society
Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation
Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation
By George Omagbemi Sylvester | Published by SaharaWeeklyNG
“At State House Tafsir in Abuja, President urges unity, tolerance, and prayers for stability as he reaffirms commitment to tackling Nigeria’s economic and security challenges.”
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appealed to Nigerians for forgiveness over any perceived wrongdoing, urging citizens to embrace reconciliation and unity during the holy month of Ramadan.
Speaking during a Ramadan Tafsir held at the State House in Abuja, the President said, “If I have sinned against you, forgive me as Nigerians,” stressing the importance of forgiveness, tolerance, and national cohesion.
Tinubu noted that Ramadan represents a period of spiritual reflection, self-discipline, and compassion, calling on Nigerians to use the season to promote peace and mutual understanding across religious and ethnic divides.
The President also encouraged citizens to pray for the nation’s stability and progress, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to addressing economic and security challenges facing the country.
The Ramadan Tafsir, an annual religious gathering attended by government officials, Islamic scholars, and dignitaries, forms part of activities marking the fasting period observed by Muslims worldwide.
society
You Against Crime Founder Tayo Folorunsho Praises Winners of Abuja Schools Festival.
You Against Crime Founder Tayo Folorunsho Praises Winners of Abuja Schools Festival.
Abuja, Nigeria – The maiden edition of the You Against Crime – Schools Festival 2026 Grand Finale has concluded, marking a significant milestone in youth engagement and crime prevention efforts across the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The event, held at the University of Abuja, brought together 78 secondary schools from the six Area Councils of Abuja, with the top six schools competing in the Grand Finale.
*Winners Emerge*
Tudunwada School, Bwari took the top spot, followed closely by The Golden Crest Royal in second place, and Government Secondary School, Kuje in third.
*CULTURE, THE CURE FOR CRIME*
The festival’s theme, “Culture, The Cure for Crime,” highlighted the importance of values, identity, mentorship, and positive engagement in preventing crime and shaping responsible citizenship among young people.
*DISTINGUISHED GUEST SPEAKERS*
Auwal Musa Rafsanjani, Chairman, Amnesty International, praised the initiative, saying, “This festival is a beacon of hope for our young people, promoting values and principles that can shape a brighter future for Nigeria.”
Aisha Mohammed, Head of Enlightenment & Re-orientation, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, emphasized the importance of mentorship, stating, “Empowering young people with the right guidance and opportunities is key to preventing crime and building a stronger nation.”
*PARTNERSHIP AND SUPPORT*
The 2026 Grand Finale Edition was proudly sponsored by Civicx Technology Ltd Int’l, reinforcing a shared commitment to youth empowerment and crime prevention through cultural reorientation and innovation.
Tayo Folorunsho, Host & Founder, You Against Crime International, addressing the media and appealed to government agencies to support initiatives like this, targeting young minds early.
You Against Crime International is a movement advocating cultural change as a long-term solution to crime. The organization remains committed to advancing youth development, civic responsibility, and nation-building across Nigeria.
society
TICP Customs Launches Paperless Regime, Warns Against False Declarations
TICP Customs Launches Paperless Regime, Warns Against False Declarations
The Customs Area Controller of Tin Can Island Port Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Comptroller Frank Onyeka, has launched a roadmap for the full implementation of a paperless regime at the command.
Onyeka disclosed this during a press briefing in Lagos, stating that the command was fully prepared for seamless digital operations ahead of the nationwide rollout scheduled for the second quarter of the year.
He described the engagement as the first in a series of consultations aimed at sensitising stakeholders on the strategies, operational framework and expectations under the new regime.
The controller commended the media for its constructive reportage since his assumption of office and sought continued collaboration to ensure the success of the initiative.
Presenting the command’s performance report, Onyeka said the Tin Can Island Command generated ₦609 billion in revenue in 2025, describing it as the highest in the history of the command.
He added that revenue collection rose from ₦116 billion recorded in January of the previous year to ₦145 billion in the corresponding period last month, representing an increase of over ₦29.9 billion.
Onyeka stated that his vision was to make the command known for trade efficiency, explaining that under the paperless regime, containers would be released without physical contact between Customs officers and clearing agents, provided declarations were accurate.
He credited the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, for providing the leadership and strategic direction driving modernisation efforts across Customs formations nationwide.
The controller urged stakeholders to avoid false declarations and engage directly with the command to resolve concerns, emphasising that transparency and dialogue were essential to achieving efficient port operations.
He assured that consignments with clear scanning results and proper documentation would be released promptly, while those flagged by the risk management system would undergo physical examination, adding that the command would continue to collaborate with other agencies to reduce cargo dwell time and enhance port efficiency.
-
celebrity radar - gossips6 months agoWhy Babangida’s Hilltop Home Became Nigeria’s Political “Mecca”
-
society6 months agoPower is a Loan, Not a Possession: The Sacred Duty of Planting People
-
society5 months agoReligion: Africa’s Oldest Weapon of Enslavement and the Forgotten Truth
-
news6 months agoTHE APPOINTMENT OF WASIU AYINDE BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AS AN AMBASSADOR SOUNDS EMBARRASSING




